HOW do you do your hot oil treatments.

pmichael52172

Spinning off from the Hot oil treatment posts, I like the reviews of the different oils you all gave. Some people do their hot oil treatments differently. Do tell.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I don't measure anything--I just add what looks like will be enough for one application...

I melt some avocado butter and shea butter using the water bath method (put in a thick glass or Pyrex bowl and add that bowl to a pot of boiling water), add some Proclaim Natural 7 Oil, palma christi oil, jojoba oil, virgin coconut oil (from healthytraditions.com), kukui nut oil and kelechi hair oil. I heat it all up again using the water bath method, apply it to my hair and wear my Micro Hair Cap for about 20 minutes.
I do this treatment on dry hair before I shampoo. It makes my hair feel softer and much easier to comb afterwards. I try to do it every shampoo, but I don't always have the time.

I get most of my hair oils from pennherb.com, nasabb.com and selectoils.com The health food stores around here don't have high quality oils...

Julia

I basically do the same that Sassygirl125 does. I don't measure. I eyeball what I think will be enough oil. I heat it up in a heat proof boil in a pan of boiling water (warm but not too hot to the touch). I mist my hair with water before to get it slightly damp and them I appy the oil and over it. (Somtimes I comb it gently with my wide toothed comb to ensure even distribution) then I put on my heating cap for at least 30-60 minutes. Sometimes I smear some conditioner on my hair as well.

To wash it out, I use lukewarm water and a very mild shampoo with a ph factor of about 5 or 6. Then I deep condition and dry using whatever method. Voila.

HTH /images/graemlins/drunk.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

pmichael52172

Thank you ladies... My method seems similar but I see a few things I could do as an improvement/change of pace. I know that I'm going to go with the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and maybe a tad bit of Jojoba.

I'd like trying to sleep in my hot oil and plastic cap and then finishing the next morning but my Saturday mornings are too busy for me to be doing my hair. I usually exercise and run my errands first thing in the morning so I can have the rest of the day free.

hairfanatic

Hi pmichael52172,

I rinse my hair, melt about 1/4 to a half cup of olive oil, put it on and put my cap on and wrap in a hot towel. I usually put my towel in the washer, turn it on hot, then turn it on spin so that all the water is out of my towel I find that the olive oil works and satuates my hair better when it is wet then when dry. Afterwards I don't rinse it but shampoo my hair first then rinse.

Allandra

I do mine prior to shampooing my hair. I usually let the treatment remain on my hair for 30 minutes or longer (in some cases overnight). Then I shampoo over top of that and finish up with my regular ole routine.