how do you enjoy your hair if you protective style 99% of the time?

danniegirl

Truthfully before visting hair boards and before watching yt videos all i knew how to do was braid my hair so i was always doing braid styles regardless now i get to do them with a lot of twist and style so ps'ing is the norm for me i still really dont know how to style my own hair that much its not long or full enough for me but i do play with it and i am getting there

empressri

Yup i like braidouts too.

When i say protective style i mean anything that's hiding your hair or progress...i understand how beneficial PS are that's why i do them and i have retained so much length but i also like to wear my hair out...not necessaraly down/straight.

ooh. yeah the extent of mine are braids or twists, buns hurt my head.

im still prone to running my fingers through my scalp even if my hair is tucked away lol i like how my hair feels.

apparently my nephew does too, last night he spent 20 mins patting my "bumpy" hair as he called it :lachen:

IMFOCSD

ooh. yeah the extent of mine are braids or twists, buns hurt my head.

im still prone to running my fingers through my scalp even if my hair is tucked away lol i like how my hair feels.

apparently my nephew does too, last night he spent 20 mins patting my "bumpy" hair as he called it :lachen:

Hahaha! Bumpy hair...that's cute..

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I am too stressed and busy to deal with out hair. The longer it got, the easier it was to bun and the harder it was to wear out. I love my updos and buying hair toys keeps it fun for me.

When I wear my hair out (especially when it's straight) I get a lot of extra attention. It's like getting a special reward for your hard work.

NaturalEnigma

When I first joined the board I was relaxed. I would wear my hair out 24/7. I never wore my hair up, because I didn't like how my face looked without a bang or swoop in my face. After learning about protective styling I practiced it faithfully hoping for long hair. Personally for me I hated it. Over time I got used to it, but I still never liked it. I didn't feel pretty. The days I wore my hair out, made me feel guilty and it would feel weird to have my hair brush my shoulder, because I was so used to having it up.

I used to always wonder how people could enjoy their hair if they protective style most of the time. I felt like you work hard for your hair you should be able to enjoy it. I just didn't get it. Now I know people have their preferences to how they like to wear their hair. I think one of the reasons I got so frustrated with my relaxed hair is that I couldn't do anything with it. Once I learned about stretching my relaxer I had to keep my hair up all the time, because beyond 3 months my hair wouldn't do a roller set.

Now that I'm natural my hair is starting to touch my shoulders and it suddenly registered to me that I need to start to protective styling if I want to protect my ends. I don't think I will though, I don't want to become frustrated with my hair. Sure if I find a cute hairstyle that involves protecting my ends I'll give it a shot but to protective style just to protective style, nope!, not going to do it, lol. I learned that you shouldn't force yourself to do something you genuinely don't like. If you like wearing your hair out then go on wear your hair out lol, its not going to be the end of the world if you do.

GaiasDaughter24

That's assuming that protective styles aren't enjoyed. I know it's already been stated but not all protective styles are boring. The fact that I can now make a nice size bun without my sock makes me happy. I used to wish I was able to do the buns I do now (I like buns! lol)

But there are so many procetive styles that are just stunning. I've done so many protective styles that look great.Mook (I think that's her name ) comes to mind when I think of beautiful braided up-do's.

BlkOnyx488

I love my Husband's reaction whenever he sees my hair out. I will take it out for special occasions like fancy dinners and birthdays, but I know to get to the length I want to go to I need to keep it on lock down. I am enjoying the Journey

Ogoma

I didn't know buns were a protective style. I have a lot to learn! I thought protective styles were covering your hair with weaves/wigs/braid&twist extensions. :ohwell: I'll get it in time.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Somehow I've come to really like by buns..which I never thought would happen!

I do get thorough enjoyment though when I am styling my hair and get to see it's length before it goes up in the bun.

MissTripleChoc

For me protective styling is far easier to do, than dealing with all that heat to make my hair straight and flowing. I also like my protective hairstyles, like bunning which I add various variations and accessories to. In fact on a night out your most likely to find me with a jazzed up protective style.

Melaninme

@SkySurfer...you hit the nail on the head.:yep:

I wear twists (sometimes braids) 95% of the time. I enjoy my protective styles. Just because my hair maybe bunned, twisted or braided doesn't mean I can't enjoy it.

I'm feeling a blog post brewing....

coolsista-paris

my answer: when i big chopped after transitionning i loved wearing my hair out. enjoying it, the thickness....That caused to breakage...and then some damage...When i dont wear it out like that it retains more length.. i should have started protective styling since the beginning (my hair would have been longer than it is now). and maybe a head more full. .But i understand what you mean. I wish i can leave it out and style my natural hair more...

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I do it because I like it not because it is a chore. I keep my look fresh by spicing things up with hair candy and accessories. I have more variety with my protective styles than when I wear my hair down.

lamaria211

i wear protective styles 100% of the time and i enjoy my hair on y wash days when im watching it slowly but surely crawl down my back:)

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm not enjoying my hair, but I realized that healthier hair is more important. Protective styling is helping to retain my growth, now that I have the right products.

FoxxyLocs

I do wear my hair "out", just not down, so I guess it's a combination of protective styles and low manipulation. If you only consider wigs, weaves, and buns to be protective styles then I see how that can be too restrictive.

I'm ok with any style that keeps my ends from rubbing against my clothes, and I prefer styles that don't need to be redone everyday. Twists, buns, and flexi-rod sets work for me. I only do twist outs after I've worn the twists for at least two weeks.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
The only PS I do are updos and I think they are very cute so I can really say that I am enjoying my hair when it's up and when it's down.

Solitude

I never thought it would be me, but I enjoy wearing my hair up more than down. I get way more compliments for a french braid than I do when my hair is down and straight. I wish my hair was longer so that I could wear more intricate buns and braids.

Yellowflowers

While I don't knock the theory of protective styling. I don't wear them and my hair still grew because of the way I care for it. It is now about tailbone length. Never thought I'd see that.

pookaloo83

DH was shocked when I straightened. I don't PS often though. I liked my hair 'out'. But the longer it's getting the more I can't wear it don. It rubs on my clothes.

IMFOCSD

I do wear my hair "out", just not down, so I guess it's a combination of protective styles and low manipulation. If you only consider wigs, weaves, and buns to be protective styles then I see how that can be too restrictive.

I'm ok with any style that keeps my ends from rubbing against my clothes, and I prefer styles that don't need to be redone everyday. Twists, buns, and flexi-rod sets work for me. I only do twist outs after I've worn the twists for at least two weeks.

The bold is exactly what i was talking about when i started this thread. I understand that protective styles are important when retaining length is concerned but i don't get enjoyment out of it doing it 24/7.

Ballerina_Bun

I love the way my protective styles look, so it is easy for me to enjoy them. And, it's fun experimenting with different bun styles.

yardyspice

I love my hair but I want to reach my goal of waist length so I wait to enjoy my hair. Seeing all the lovely heads of hair keeps me motivated. Also, it helps that I love changing up my look with wigs.

lushcoils

You don't have to wear PS 24/7 if you don't want to. Just do what you want. It's your hair.

I guess I PS 90% of the time with twist extensions. But it can be fun if you get creative with the updos. I don't mind PSing this much because I take breaks from PS every month or 2 for about a week. It saves me time. It's great for retention. I know that I will reach my goals faster the more I PS. Once I reach my long-term goal, I won't PS as much.