How do you measure your hair?

Energee

LOL....I am asking because I was out of town at the beginning of this week and was able to see a couple of people I've known for years---old friends--while on my business trip. I met up with a couple of them in the area I was in for dinner. Anyway, most of them commented on my hair length because most of them have only seen me with above ear hair...since way back in college/grad school...Halle Cut. They were saying that it was 'soooo long' (APL is NOT sooo long to me...but I understand what they meant..when compared to my before..lol). Anyway, I was telling them what I was doing and about this site and also told them my goal (BSL is my goal) and I told them that APL is my current goal. So they were saying to me that I was already APL (my husband says the same...lol). They kept saying...'you are there already':yep:. I on the other hand won't call it until I am REALLY there and by REALLY there I mean that it's that length even when I have have it curled a little. I know that may sound silly but that's how I measure.

Anyway, it's difficult for me to 'tell' what my true length is because I never ever have my hair completely bone straight..I don't get it relaxed that way or wear it that way (I don't do direct heat so no flatironing or anything like that). I know that if I pull my hair that it is APL..but the way I wear it daily--a little curled. It falls right above APL..so that is what I am measuring. I'd like for it to be APL even when it's curled a little. That's when I will call APL...lol. I'm picky...lol. I may even wait until it's past APL to call it APL. This is what I did when I reached shoulder length. I didn't call it until I was past shoulder length a little and when it was at the shoulders even when curled.

Anyone as picky as I am when calling their length?

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I agree with you. By waiting you can feel secure and will not have to worry about someone trying to call you out LOL. Seriously, I don't wear my hair stick straight either so it needs to be seen at the length I'm claiming. I have always overdone it with the standards I put on myself though. :ohwell:

Energee

Thanks for responding dayjoy. I knew someone would relate....LOL:grin:. Yeah, I 'm definitely tougher on myself than anyone is. I'm my biggest competitor...lol...but it's a good thing:yep:.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Im the same way. When my hair was just a inch above armpit length. I still considered it shoulder length and when it was almost to brastrap I still considered it armpit length.