How long do you wait after a relaxer.....

How long do you wait after a relaxer to wash your hair?

• A few days

Votes: 115 29.3%
  • A week

Votes: 208 52.9%
  • Between 1-2 weeks

Votes: 61 15.5%
  • Longer

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stella B.

I wait a week now because i typically wash my hair once a week. But in the beginnig of my journey i used to wash it no more than three days after ( i used to be paranoid about relaxer left in the hair and i would neutralize it).

That's exactly why I washed my hair 3 days after getting my last touch-up. I was not only paranoid about relaxer being left in, but I knew it had been left in because I could smell the sulfur (rotten egg smell) breaking down the bonds of the hair when I spritzed it with water. I washed it 3 days later with a neutralizing shampoo. Something I have never done before...but I am so glad I did. I lost my relaxed look, but my head smells better!!!!!

I usually wait 2 or 3 days after. I get my relaxer done at the salon, so the first time I wash it, for my peace of mind, I like to use a neutralizing shampoo. This is just to make sure all of the relaxer is out/gone. Then I like to do some type of deep conditioning either with moisture or protein or both. My hair seems to need this pretty soon after relaxing so I don't like to wait more than 3 days post relaxer.

I agree, I like to wash 2 or 3 days after, because there could still be little traces of relaxer that really might not do anything to your hair....but still you never know....so I wash every 2 or 3 days for a month and then go back to one week washing......:yep:

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
I get it washed two weeks after. I'll probably move to one week after my next touch up as I am starting my new regimen then and I'll be co-washing 2-3x/week.

I don't go bone straight with my relaxers either, so I generally like how it looks for the two weeks after. I do like it better after that first wash tho, but my hair is too thick to ever really be limp.

JessCNU

I just got a relaxer Thursday and I'm washing it as we speak. also using the aphogee 2 min. I hate that fresh relaxed feeling, maybe because my hair is really short right now.

Last edited:

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
A few days. I just relaxed because I wanted to do a length check. That was Monday. By Wednesday, I did a wash.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I wait one week after a relaxer and then follow up with a light protein treatment. I did a heavier protein about 5 days to 1 week before I relaxed.

lilmsjanet

like 2 or 3 days after a relaxer lol i think the relaxer had enough time to soke into my scalp to cause enough damage in that little amount of time lol washing it a day or 2 later wont hurt my hair anymore then it already is:drunk:

McQuay30

I wash my hair once a week regardless but the first wash after a relaxer I deep condition dry hair with Cholestral, 1st shampoo with nexxus aloe rid in case something is left behind and 2nd shampoo with Porosity and then a 2 to 5 minutes treatment of Motions CPR followed by a deep condition with heat of a combo of ORS Pak, Porosity Conditioner, and Aussie Deep with a touch of salt. NOw if I think the stylist did not remove all of the product I will come home and immediately wash my hair with a neutrailizing shampoo and also use my neutrailizin condition and then start with my 2nd shampoo and continue on. This may be a bit of overkill "better safe than sorry" also I am thinking about getting an addtional filter to filter the water before it reaches the house. My hair never turn out hard or mushy and my current length 2 to 3 inches past shoulder length.:grin:

Encore

As long as possible, I love a fresh relaxer on me...maybe 2 weeks after that i get a Protein or moisture treatment, which ever my hair needs.

JJamiah

I keep to my regimen which is a week.
I love the idea someone had of waiting two weeks after flat ironing hair so that we could keep it longer, since I only give myself a one month direct heat pass. I will incorporate that into my regimen :)

yardgirl

I wash the following week and every week after that. The week before I do a protein treatment and a hot oil treatment in preparation for the relaxer. If my hair feels weak on the day of relaxing I'll put some GVP Leave In (Redken Anti Snap) on my dry hair,