How long is too long?

aquarian1252004

This is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen :barf:, every time I see it I want to vomit :barf:. There is this woman who works in the office building where I work and her d*mn hair is down to her ankles, no exaggeration. The worse part is that it doesn’t even look healthy, I haven’t seen it up close thank God, but from afar it looks dead, limp, thin, full of split ends, and lice :look: . I know we're all on a length quest but how long is too long? She is white, if anyone is going to ask because I know in some cultures cutting a woman’s hair is a big no-no.

Porsche19

However long that the individulal likes their hair, it's alright me me... as long as it's clean and healthy.

My personal "too long" length is tailbone length. I've decided that I'd only want my hair up to waist length, nothing touching the butt.

What cultures don't cut women's hair? I know of cultures that don't cut womens hair often to keep it long (but not ULTRA ULTRA long, not anywehre near the ankles) but not of any culture that strives for floor length hair collectively.

PatTodd

Some women (who don't look like us!) covet long hair no matter how it looks...I have seen examples of what you describe over at http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/.

You'll see what I'm talking about...the crunchy granola earth mother types with hair that is gray at the top and dirty blonde at the bottom with a foot of see-through ends...more power to 'em!!

Porsche19

I looked at that link and saw some very beautiful heads of hair...

I agree that there were a few nastly looking ones, one that particulary frightened me was of a bleach blonde with 2ft of damaged, thin, dry, frizzy hair ::shudders::

My favorite :

woooooo, hooooo... isn't that something? That's exactly where I want my hair to be and it very closely resembles my hair thickness and (texturized) texture.

Last edited:

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Lice? So her hair is dragging all over place picking up creatures? :nono:

She needs to cut it to a length that she can manage.

Cichelle

I have seen some beautiful long hair on that forum. Some of my hair idols are there. I wouldn't look at someone and say their hair is too long. I can only say what is too long or too short on myself. It is certainly nicer to look at long hair that is well cared for. But I guess even that is subjective. I don't have a problem with "fairy tale" ends or anything else people do or don't do with their ends. When I see people with very long hair I usually admire them, but not always. There is a woman in my neighborhood who has extremely long hair, to her ankles I think. But she always wears it up, directly on top of her head like a tower. It is the oddest thing I have ever seen. But hey, if she likes it, then that's cool.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Yuck! My ideal length would be thick, unstretched, brastrap length hair. Can't wait! Hey Porsche?! Is that Midnight curls, I love her hair too!

Crysdon

Too long for me is anything past waist length. I want bottom of brastrap and nothing more.

Bmm

I would say it depends... although I just want Shoulder or Brastrap.

I myself can not stand seeing raggedy ends...It ruins it for me..I love a blunt even neat cut....

MizAvalon

When I was little and I used to see Crystal Gayle on Sesame Street and various tv shows, I thought her hair was gorgeous. Down to her ankles and completely healthy. She's Loretta Lynn's little sister for those who don't know.

For me personally, that would be too long. But I don't care how long anyone else wants to grow theirs.

Nenah

Either Below brastrap or close to waist length any more than that I don't think I will have the time or patience for

HoneyDew

I saw an Asian lady at the dry cleaners a few days ago with hair that was past her butt. But it was very pretty. I don't think I have time for that, but it looked great on her.

I think it depends on what it looks like.

For me, a full healthy head of hair a little past my shoulders is perfect. I am sure I would love it to be a little above my bra, but a little past my shoulders is great for now. Waistlength and tailbone are too much for my lifestyle.

ryanshope

Brastrap is enough for me. I am short and my arms tire easily now and I am only midback...I couldn't imagine rollersetting waist length hair.

CarLiTa

ew hair to the ankles, i just can't picture it and think of it as pretty... it's just too much.
Personally, the longest I'd go is waistlength, and if it gets too hard to manage, i wouldn't mind cutting it and keeping at 4" past bra-strap which would be about 3-4" from waistlength.

There is this Native American girl in my class, her hair must be tailbone or more and she wants to cut her hair really bad but her mom won't let her, and when i asked her why she said her mom was very traditional and that Native American women are supposed to wear their hair really long, so she won't let her cut it. I asked her how long her mom's hair is and she said it's almost to her knees :eek: i do NOT think hair that long is pretty... waistlength is enough. So yeah, she plans on cutting it as soon as she leaves to college :lol:

sprungonhairboards

MizAvalon[B said:
]When I was little and I used to see Crystal Gayle on Sesame Street and various tv shows, I thought her hair was gorgeous. Down to her ankles and completely healthy.[/B] She's Loretta Lynn's little sister for those who don't know.

For me personally, that would be too long. But I don't care how long anyone else wants to grow theirs.

Girl me too! I was mesmerized. It was the longest shiniest hair I had ever seen :eek: Cher back in the Sonny and Cher days too. I'd be in the living room dancing with my towel or t-shirt swinging from my head, you could'nt tell me nothin! :lol:

Personally, an inch or two past bra strap all around would be enough for me.

SUPER SWEET

PatTodd said:
Some women (who don't look like us!) covet long hair no matter how it looks...I have seen examples of what you describe over at http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/.

You'll see what I'm talking about...the crunchy granola earth mother types with hair that is gray at the top and dirty blonde at the bottom with a foot of see-through ends...more power to 'em!!

This was deep.... thanks for the link.

MizAvalon

sprungonhairboards said:
Girl me too! I was mesmerized. It was the longest shiniest hair I had ever seen :eek: Cher back in the Sonny and Cher days too. I'd be in the living room dancing with my towel or t-shirt swinging from my head, you could'nt tell me nothin! :lol:

Personally, an inch or two past bra strap all around would be enough for me.

Oooh, I forgot about Cher! Hers was the bomb too! :)

aquarian1252004

Porsche19 said:
What cultures don't cut women's hair? I know of cultures that don't cut womens hair often to keep it long (but not ULTRA ULTRA long, not anywehre near the ankles) but not of any culture that strives for floor length hair collectively.

I thought that hindus and similar religons/culttures were not allowed to cut their hair, but maybe I'm wrong.

Porsche19 said:
I looked at that link and saw some very beautiful heads of hair...

My favorite :

I agree Porsche19 her hair is beautiful, but to me it seems like a hell of a lot of work, I can only imagine how much shampoo, conditioner, etc. she goes through or how long it takes her to do her hair.

I think for me bra strap length is enough, any longer than that just seems like a handful or "hairful."

mermaid

PatTodd said:

Ummm, what the heck is up with all the pictures of cats on that site??:lol: I mean, I do like cats, but DANG! Every avatar or siggy practically is a cat picture, lol!!
And they do like hair sticks, don't they?? They have whole threads on them!

Queenie

I don't have any problems with anyone's hair length as long as it is healthy. I wouldn't want mine past waist length and I don't even think that I'd could take care of that. ONe of my close friends in high school had knee length hair. She is Sikh.

Shikhs are not allowed to cut their hair. That's why the men wear turbans. Because under that is very long hair. :eek:

Samaria

I am just fine with MBL, if it became waist lenght that would be fine too, anything below that is uh uh for me.

Samaria

This is sorta kinda off topic but reading that board, I didn't know white women had problems growing long hair! Or am I mistaken?

foxybrownsugar

PatTodd said:

At LHC their having a war between scraggly ends (they call fairytale ends) against thick blunt ends. There's a woman named Elle over there with knee length thick blunt hair. And i agree they do love their cats their just about in every pic.

foxybrownsugar

Samaria said:
This is sorta kinda off topic but reading that board, I didn't know white women had problems growing long hair! Or am I mistaken?
They have some of the same problems. And alot of them wish for thick hair. They have agrument too though not as often as here. I remember they were having heated discussions on bone vs wooden combs and some threads were closed. So they def. get into it just like we do.

Last edited:

sprungonhairboards

foxybrownsugar said:
They have some of the same problems. And alot of them wish for thick hair. They have agrument too though not as often as here. I remember they were having heated discussions on bone vs wooden combs and some threads were closed. So they def. get into it just like we do.

:lol: :lachen: :lol: :lachen:

MizAvalon

foxybrownsugar said:
At LHC their having a war between scraggly ends (they call fairytale ends) against thick blunt ends. There's a woman named Elle over there with knee length thick blunt hair. And i agree they do love their cats their just about in every pic.

I'm sorry, but I think that it's SO funny, that scraggly, raggedy ends are called "fairytale" ends!! :lol: :lol:

atl_mulattamami

PatTodd said:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! you know you wrong for that! lol lol "crunchy granola"

check out this link theyre talking about flipping their hair in people who have shorter hair's faces: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30390

and heres one where they talk about those "fairy-tale ends": http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=30353

Last edited:

foxybrownsugar

MizAvalon said:
I'm sorry, but I think that it's SO funny, that scraggly, raggedy ends are called "fairytale" ends!! :lol: :lol:
Yeah the fairy-tale end lovers are the indivduals who dont believe in cutting hair or rarely cut their hair. Unfortunely, you can tell who loves "fairy-tale" ends and who loves the blunt thick end look!