How much did you spend on hair products before you found what works for you?

vtoodler

Did you spend hundreds or thousands on hair products before you finally found a hair regimen that works for you?

How did you find out about your favorite products? Did you learn about them from LHCF?

Last edited:

MissDarcei

Hundreds! I've tried ORS, Mixed Chicks, John Frieda, a million Garnier Fructis products, Marc Anthony, Joico, Dove, and more. I'm currently using the live clean products and garnier fructis pure clean line. I just learned about them by looking through my local drugstore isle but it's thanks to this site and youtube that I learned about silicones and sulfates so that influenced my decision to by those products in the first place.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I don't eeeeeeven wanna know how much I've spent and I'm not gonna try to guess cuz I might mess around and have a stroke. :lol: :nono:

PPGbubbles

I consider myself lucky! I went through very few products before I found what trully works.

Most of my early purchases were carrier oils and Essential oils and shea you cant go too wrong with that.

Most condish purchases were good and served its purpose until I finished the bottle.

I never tried all the various "natural" product lines because im too lazy to order online and im cheap:lachen: Your not getting $20 nothing from me for a product lol. I never did growth aids either.

it all worked in my favor tho!

faithVA

I've probably spent hundreds, no where near thousands :lol: It probably was less than $300.

I learned about products from this forum and from yt. But it wasn't until i started paying attention to the ingredients in products and the reaction they had on my hair was I able to determine what products I needed. As I started paying attention to how my hair felt after using a product and looking at the ingredients, I now have a list of ingredients I prefer and those I steer away from which helps me with my product choices.

Renewed1

GIRRRLLLL

I think it was maybe about $300 to discover what works and what don't. Unfortunately, my products are expensive so I stock up around Black Friday so I can be set for a year.

The important thing is I had to stop jumping on every bandwagon. I had the maxiglide, CHI, FHI, all types of oils conditioners, it was a mess.

Just to discover KISS was all I had to do. But my hair does love my steamer!!!

cutenss

Thousands :lachen: but since I am a PJ, and I like trying new things, so IDC. I have recently found conditioner that I plan to spend hundreds on, cause I think it is DC. I plan to stock up.

silenttullip

maybe 300... In about a tad over a year. As for my favorite products.
One from my little sis HS14IN1 and aubrey from just typing in natural hair products. It was my first natural line. Oh and chagrin valley I had heard about it but I kinda hang on empressri's reviews and after her chagrin valley review I was convinced. Vo5 & Giovanni from here.

Last edited:

faithVA

The important thing is I had to stop jumping on every bandwagon. I had the maxiglide, CHI, FHI, all types of oils conditioners, it was a mess.

Just to discover KISS was all I had to do. But my hair does love my steamer!!!

So true... She said, they said :nono: KISS :yep:

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
I'm scared to even think about how much money I was spending on different hair products. I am so glad I have found most of my staples because it was starting to get ugly.

kupenda

Hundreds lol. It was bad. I was sneaking stuff in the house and hiding it from my family. Id spend my last ten dollars at the BSS before buying lunch for the day lol so you know it bad. But I'm getting it together. Slowly lol

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

PinkGirlFluff

I didn't spend much money at all. When I first went natural I used HEHH condish and cowashed. I used activator gel for what reason, I don't know but my twa was shiney and curly and delish. I also used olive oil mixed with water and jasmine oil. Once my hair got longer I tried the Shea Moisture products and I've been hooked every since. I didn't spend much money on products at all. And now that I have staple products I probably only need to up my stash every two to three months.

Please excuse any typos. I'm at work and the spell check is not working. lol.

ms.blue

I spend hundreds trying to figure out what works for me, products, oils and supplements. I finally know what works for me and what doesn't. I know that coconut is a major no for me so now I buy products w/ little to no coconut oil.
I spend thousands on my weaves/wigs and sew-ins which I am controlling right now :(

Mische

Under $200. I didn't go through too many products before finding what I really liked. The products I initially bought weren't too expensive (HE LTR, Infusium 23, etc) so my product graveyard doesn't look too scary. I will say I wasted some money buying through Amazon rather than looking locally first. I paid more for my Rusk Smoother Leave In online than the bottle I found in TJ Maxx. That always stings a little. :perplexed

BreeNique

:O love this thread. let's bring out the dirty laundry, ladies, shall we???

I ( bree of BreeNique) spent probably $40 of my own money before starting my hhj...most things in my head were "household items", and Nique of BreeNique (older cousin) ALWAYS had somethin' good me and her mom were trying to get our hands on!!!

NOw that I know what's working for me (well, learnin at least), I haven't spent much at all. i'm straight. <3

kellistarr

Huh? I'm still spending. But that's because I'm a Lover Of Products, and I love to try new things, not because I don't know what works. What amazes me is that there is so much yet to try.

cheryl26

Not more than 100. I only buy hair stuff from discount stores like Hudsons and Big Lots. Sometimes I'm up early around 4 or 5am to catch last minute deals on Ebay cause not a lot of people bid against me at that time. I get Nexxus shampoos and conditioners from Big lots for 4 bucks that are 15 at Walmart. TJ Maxx and Ross always have stuff on clearance for a dollar or two. I remember getting that Miss Jessies curling pudding that's $38 for $11 at Hudsons and I've seen other products of hers and that Kinky curling brand and carol's daughter but they make my hair look terrible.

greenandchic

Actually in my all my years of being natural, not much. I pretty much used the same products over and over again year after year, and that that was NOT good for my hair. I didn't take very good care of it for a while which turned out to be a set back for me in my healthy hair journey.

So to answer your question, I don't think I spent enough. :lol:

HennaRo

Sadly I think well over $1k since 2009 lol. But this year I've just been rebuying staples and trying very few new products.

BlkOnyx488

I think maybe I spent about $500 but that in cludes equipment like my standup portable hairdryer which I love. Once I spent $50 on a bottle of ovation still mad at myself for that purchase lol. Now I keep it simple and stay away from product bandwagons

JudithO

What is KISS? Can't figure it out... lol... As for the question... Maybe about 300... Still haven't figured out what works for me. So yeah, still spending cautiously....