How much will you pay for quality shears/scissors?

How much would you pay max for quality shears / scissors?

• Under 10

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 10 - 20

• 20 - 30

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • 30 - 40

• 40 - 50

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Whatever it costs to have the best!

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

claud-uk

At some point in the next couple of weeks I'll be investing in a"good" pair of hair shears/scissors. In the past the most I've spent was £7 / $10, but this is probably one of those cases where you get what you pay for.

How much are you prepared to pay for what you consider to be quality/professional shears - well made, quality material, stay sharp for longer, cut true without unravelling the hair ends etc.

TIA ladies!

Last edited:

Holla

I think I paid $15 for one at Sallys. It works well for my unprofessional snips.

ChristmasCarol

Really good question, OP! I went to buy a new pair and couldn't believe the prices - $100+
I ended up buying shears from Sally's for around $20. I wondered if I was being cheap, lol

nlamr2013

I would say get the best for your budget. So if you really only have about 39 bucks try to find the best 39 buck shears lol
I would say go to a stylist that does good work and see if maybe she'll or he'll give recommendations. Or a hair school.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
I recommend Tweezerman hair shears. It retails about $20-30 USD in beauty supply stores.
They have a lifetime free sharpening service. If they can't be sharpened you get a 50% off coupon for new shears.
I have three 10 year old pairs. They've been sharpened once and are like new.

Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.

Pennefeather

I just bought my first pair last week. I spent about $20 at Sally's. I won't be trimming my hair regularly - just until it grows out a little more.

Aireen

I think I have a pretty high limit now that I know that better scissors definitely give better results which would reflect on a higher price. If I'm able to be a product junkie and spend so much on conditioners/deep conditioners/serums then I should be able to spend a good bit on a quality pair of sheers. :look: I will say that I would definitely do my research to get a fair price and good quality but I am no longer opposed to spending a little extra; getting rid of damaged ends with sharp scissors is more important than people realize.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm very pleased with my Fromm Japanese steel scissors from Sally's. They were about $40. I was hesitant paying this amount for scissors but I quickly noticed the quality difference from my BSS scissors. They are much sharper and have less drag as I snip the strands. I thought my BSS scissors were great. They seemed sharp and I didn't notice any drag as the blades passed each other when snipping my hair. Now that I've upgraded, hands down my Fromm's are much better.

ETA: My splits have significantly improved but other changes were also made so I can't give the scissors all the props.

GGsKin

I inherited a wonderful pair of scissors that are the sharpest pair I own and with all the use I've given them, they stay sharp. I did some research and read that stylists can spend anywhere from a couple hundred pounds to a couple thousand *cough* on a good pair of scissors.
I wanted to expand (create) a small 'collection' and bought what I thought would be a decent (affordable) pair from Sallys for about £60 odd pounds (the most I've paid for scissors). Compared to what I already had, they are crud lol. I mean they are okay. But that is a lot of £££ for just okay.

I suspect the pair I already owned are a better quality Japanese steel.

Last edited:

aishasoleil

The shears I use cost about $300. But... I'm a licensed cosmetologist. It's very important that I have the best I can afford. I actually have my eye on a pair of Hikari shears. Depending on the type, they range from around $300-2,000. At this point, I'm not willing (or able, lol!) to drop more than $400-500.

But, if I were just purchasing shears to trim my hair at home (and I was not a cosmetologist) I would say $60-80 is a reasonable price point.

claud-uk

AbsyBlvd - what's the make of the Japanese pair, they sound good.

From the answers given it looks like 20 is the lowest to pay for a decent pair, off to do some research.

Mz.MoMo5235

I got mine at sallys for around $60 and I would say it was a good investment. I noticed a real difference in how often I needed to trim and s&d when I got them.

Mz.MoMo5235

I'm very pleased with my Fromm Japanese steel scissors from Sally's. They were about $40. I was hesitant paying this amount for scissors but I quickly noticed the quality difference from my BSS scissors. They are much sharper and have less drag as I snip the strands. I thought my BSS scissors were great. They seemed sharp and I didn't notice any drag as the blades passed each other when snipping my hair. Now that I've upgraded, hands down my Fromm's are much better.

ETA: My splits have significantly improved but other changes were also made so I can't give the scissors all the props.

This here. I never realized how bad the scissors I had been using sucked until I got a good pair.

While I'm not licensed I do cut friends hair and my own and again, well worth the money imo

meka72

Sample sale site Hautelook has "salon-worthy shears" on sale until 8am PST on Wednesday.

Jewell

Personally, I think one's price point depends on how much the shears will be used, and the nature of the cut being made. That said, someone who only S&D's a few times a year, and who only does a 1" trim once a year would be quite foolish, in my opinion, for spending $100+ on a pair of shears that may get used 10 times in 10 years. You do get what you pay for, but it is also scientifically proven that people think better quality is automatically attached to the price point, and that is simply not always true.