How often are you cleaning your scarf, bonnet, pillow case? What cleansing agent?

SherylsTresses

Ladies, how often are you cleaning your scarf, bonnet and pillow case? What cleansing agent are you using? :scratchch

I am not sure how to properly clean them and afraid I may be over cleaning it with detergent and under cleaning using “shampoo”. How do you clean your hair coverings? Just out of curiosity, do you apply conditioner, oil, etc after it's dry? :look:

LovingLady

Re: How often are you cleaning your scarf, bonnet, pillow case? What cleansing agent

I have a satin pillow case and I just turn it inside out and put it in the wash with everything, Gain is used as the cleaning agent. I always did the same thing when I had my stain bonnet.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Re: How often are you cleaning your scarf, bonnet, pillow case? What cleansing agent

I use a net and toss all of my scarves and bonnets in it before placing it in the regular wash. I used to hand wash all that stuff but I have too many to do like that now.

30something

I make it soak in a bucket add some detergent or shampoo for about 1 hour. I throw it in the dryer for 3-5 mins to dry if I need it. I never remember to wash it with the rest of my clothes, plus it rips the scarves apart.

Americka

Pillowcases go in the regular wash. I have four, so I rotate them.

Bonnets and scarves are washed by hand with shampoo and hung to dry. I wash these about every four days since they dry quickly.

tenderheaded

I wash them every wash day with laundry detergent, dish liquid or unwanted shampoo. I let the scarves soak with my combs.

lushlady

I toss them in the washer with my clothes once a week. My bonnets do get worn out quickly this way though. I wash my clothes with All Free and Clear, and baking soda or oxiclean powder.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun

I just throw it in the wash when I'm doing my laundry. My hair hasn't suffered as a result of washing my scarves and bonnets like my regular laundry

reeko43

I throw mine in a lingerie wash bag and wash along with clothes at least
once or twice a week

Mrs. Verde

I have several hair bonnets that I have. I throw them in the wash.

JennyKenny

After I finish washing my hair, I will hand wash my bonnet with a dab of travel detergent. Usually hang to dry--takes only a few hours!

BlaqBella

Hi Sheryl! I wash my silk scarves every 2-3 weeks. I use a little bit of liquid laundry soap to soak them in the sink for a few then wash/hang to dry in the bathroom for about an hour. My satin ones I throw in the washer. Since I shampoo/dc every week the scarf is still smelling nice and clean for 2-3 weeks (unless for some reason I sweat a bunch or something).

mzsophisticated26

I wash my satin pillowcase with bedding every week or two. I handwash my scarfs with little bit of detergent and shampoo every 2wks and then throw them in the dryer. I use to wash them in the washer but there were always getting ripped.

JJamiah

I have several as well and I wash them with Tide/Gain and dry as normal :)

Hersheygurl

I have about 4 satin pillowcases that I rotate, but wash them with bedding on sanitary wash. As for my scarves, I wash them with ALL Free & Clear or some other dye/fragrance free detergent and after rinsing, I apply a little conditioner to the scarves before putting them in the dryer.

SherylsTresses

I have about 4 satin pillowcases that I rotate, but wash them with bedding on sanitary wash. As for my scarves, I wash them with ALL Free & Clear or some other dye/fragrance free detergent and after rinsing, I apply a little conditioner to the scarves before putting them in the dryer.

I do this sometimes. :yep:

SherylsTresses

Hi Sheryl! I wash my silk scarves every 2-3 weeks. I use a little bit of liquid laundry soap to soak them in the sink for a few then wash/hang to dry in the bathroom for about an hour. My satin ones I throw in the washer. Since I shampoo/dc every week the scarf is still smelling nice and clean for 2-3 weeks (unless for some reason I sweat a bunch or something).

:hiya: BlaqBella :hiya:

FindingMe

I wash the silk pillowcase about once a week with the regular sheets in the washer w/ 7th Gen laundry detergent.

I wash scarves, scullies, hats, headbands, loc socs, etc. in the sink by hand with liquid brown soap whenever I think they don't smell fresh. So can vary from 3-10 days depending on use. Scarves & headbands go in dryer all others lay flat to dry...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center

I wash my Scarves (Head wraps, wig durags) on wash-day or whenever they become oily.

I have some Shower Gel someone gave me for a 'gift' that I didn't care for the scent:lol: I use that and maybe a drop of dish detergent.:ohwell:

Pillowcases etc... go in the regular was in lingerie bag.:yep:

cutiebe2

I use castille soap about every three weeks or so...I have for than one cap that I rotate so they don't get dirty as fast

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me

In the wash with regular laundry.

diadall

I have several and I alternate weekly or whenever I feel I need to. I clean them with a mixture of shampoo I didn't like and water, then air dry.

Last edited:

Janet'

Good info!!!

Toy

Every Friday and in the washer with everything else.

sj73

I clean my silk scarfs with my regular laundry with no bleach. I use an environmentally friendly detergent from Costco. I have several silk scarfs and always use a clean one after I wash my hair.

By the way, THANKS to the poster that alerted us of the 100% silk scarfs on sale at Old Navy about 2-3 years ago. I was a lurker then, but found about 4 on sale for under $2 each. THANK YOU! :drunk:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

Satin scarfs and satin pillow cases are washed weekly on the day I poo. I use liquid laundry detergent. I wash these separate so as to not oil stain any clothing.

constance

I must be hard on my things--I only sleep on my satin pillow cases 1x before throwing them in the wash with Tide. I wash my headscarfs with any bar soap before throwing them in the machine to wash. I wash them every 2 dys.

Last edited:

RainyDaze

I wash my satin bonnet/scarf once every week or couple of weeks. I always wash them by hand with shampoo and a little antibacterial liquid hand soap. I let them air dry.