How Often Do We Need To Moisturize Our Hair & Ends

Isis

My hair is relaxed, 4a/b type. I always moisturize my ends when I wake up and before going to bed. Is it a good idea to be moisturizing my ends sometime during the late afternoon/early evening also? Or just as needed? I wash my hair every 3 days using a good moisturizing leave-in afterwards. Is it necessary to add moisture to all of my hair everyday, twice or more each day? Or is the one time leave-in good enough to last for the 3 days until wash time? Do I need to moisturize more often when wearing a braidout versus wearing a bun? These are questions I’ve always wondered about. If there is a thread on this already, please direct me to it (I didn’t see one). Thank you!

CaramelKiss

It is possible to overmoisturize your hair at least with the oils. I did it recently. My hair felt like an oil slick and my hair was limp. You will know when your ends need moisture. It will feel dry. As for how often, it depend on your hair and which products you use. For me, I have to moisturize once everyday and I do this either with a conditioner wash or I spray my hair with distilled water and then add leave in mixed with oil. In the summer, i have to do this more often, like 2x a day because of the heat and humidity.

HTH!

ChasingBliss

I moisturize my hair twice a day as well. And I wash every 4 days. This works for well for my hair. I also spritz with distilled water while it's up in a bun at least twice during the day. I dont feel the need to do anything more than that. But then again, Im on the bun chal. so my hair is NEVER out to get dry. But how often would definitely depend on what products you are using like CaramelKiss said.

Britt

I think it all depends on your hair. I hardly moisturize my hair b/c it gets wieghed down easily and seems greasy and heavy. Last night I put my Monoi oil on my scalp, just small amounts and this morning my entire head looks like I oiled my hair. I never have dry ends, especially if I roller set.

ccd

Re: How Often Do We Need To Moisturize Our Hair &

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
I think it all depends on your hair. I hardly moisturize my hair b/c it gets wieghed down easily and seems greasy and heavy. Last night I put my Monoi oil on my scalp, just small amounts and this morning my entire head looks like I oiled my hair. I never have dry ends, especially if I roller set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on that, I find my hair needs different things at different times. I usually spray my hair everyday with Mizani Shyne, its very light and moisturizing, if I need more moisture I put something at night only.

Isis

Thank you ladies. My hair is growing nicely, maybe that's my answer too. It sounds like everyone's different when it comes to the amount of times to moisturize our hair and ends each day.

One thing I've started doing just recently is spraying my nape area (Hairlove says hers really grows this way) twice/day with my distilled water/glycerin mixture and sealing it with oil, or adding rosemary oil to the mixture and spraying it. I've been neglecting this area in the past.

Lee

My hair sucks up moisture like you wouldn't believe. I moisturize twice a day. Ends and the length. If not my hair would be dry as straw.

deeplyrooted

wow, it's good to know i'm not the only one stressing about this. i just bought some profectiv healthy ends, which i plan to start using on my ends every night. the watery leave in conditioner i was using (i.e., spritzing) in the evenings on my napptural hair just wasn't enough. boy i hope this works because i hate the thought of giving my hair a trim ! ! !