How should I heal my mom's hair?

msjones

Hey Ladies--

Sooo my mom's hair has been a little rough lately, so I decided to help her with her hair today.
I saturated her hair last night with coconut oil and had her keep it in overnight.
This morning, she washed with Nexxus Therappe shampoo and deep conditioned with Humectress.
I put Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine leave-in along with Biosilk serum, and proceeded to roller-set.
Throughout the process she just kept shedding and shedding. I'm not used to this as when I comb my hair I lose about 3 hairs. I think she must've lost 2 combfuls of hair as we went through.
Also, the texture of her hair is very spongy--it looks dry even when its wet. I noticed this after the deep condition, so I figured her hair might be porous soooo--I gave her an ACV rinse.

I told her she needs to stop with the weekly blowdry and daily flat ironing, but is there anything else I can do in order to nurse her hair back to being healthy?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I think she should keep doing the ACV rinses and also up her dc'ing to twice a week. Maybe even add in a co-wash or two a week. She should definitely cut out the blowdrying and flatironing for now. She needs to nurse her air back to health before she even thinks about using heat again. Tell her about protective styles, maybe she'd be open to wearing a phony pony while baggying. Or keeping her hair in cornrows (with no added hair) under a wig. Oh, and if she's relaxed, tell her to stretch those relaxers!

That's all I can think of for now. HTH!

Lexxx

I know form my experince that coconut oil, Nexxus Therappe shampoo and Humectress, did not do my hair any good at all,
Sounds like she need some sort of protein. just discovered recently i needed it!

Also flat ironing daily will definately take its toil after a while.
Hopefully the other ladies will be able to give more advice.

Last edited:

kiesha8185

I know form my experince that coconut oil, Nexxus Therappe shampoo and Humectress, did not do my hair any good at all,
Sounds like she need some sort of protein. just discovered recently i needed it!

Also flat ironing daily will definately take its toil after a while.
Hopefully the other ladies will be able to give more advice.

I agree. Sounds like she needs some protein to get some strength back in her hair. Personally, ACV dries my hair out. So I would suggest using Porosity Control instead.

Are you positive that all the hair that is coming out is shedding, did she have any breakage at all? If the hair did not have a bulb on the end, then she definitely needs protein. From my experience, however, protein treatments don't curb shedding. Toque Emergencia helps decrease my shedding.

This is what I would do:

-Pre-poo with coconut oil mixed with mayonaise.
-Clarifying.
-Porosity Control.
-Using some sort of treatment that specifically states it reduces shedding (Pantene R&N Mask, Toqque Emergencia, Alter Ego Garlic Treament, etc.)
-Deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner.

She should reduce the use of heat to only once or twice a month until the shedding decreases.

HTH