HOW TO STOP HAIRLINE THINNING WHILE STILL WEARING BRAIDS

taytay86

I love to braid my hair, and I've been doing so for about a year and my hair looks amazing. I am noticing (ever so sightly) thinning on both sides of my hair line (diagonal to the corner of my eye) so I've decided to give my hair a break by wearing my wig with cornrows underneath. I can't do the wig thing for too long, and now that it's winter I really don't want to leave my hair out in the cold. My hairdresser is good about my hairline, so I know it's not that the braids are tight...but how can I continue braiding without damaging my hairline?

Urban

How long do you keep the braids in for? Maybe try and redo the thinning spots every couple of weeks...

Nya33

Are you styling your braids, as in up dos etc? That will cause stress around your edges so be really gentle. I know i was guilty of that one all that inadvertent pulling was adding extra stress to the front of my hair. Are you sleeping with a scarf?

vestaluv1

How long do you keep the braids in for? Maybe try and redo the thinning spots every couple of weeks...

I agree! Also, its a good idea to use less extension hair on thinner areas such as the hairline to reduce weight.

I redo the 2 rows around my entire head every 2 weeks. I massage castor oil on my edges nightly which promotes growth and thickness. Since when I'm in braids I usually wash my hair every day or every other day, there is no build up from the castor oil. Even if I don't fully wash, I atleast let water hit it to keep the scalp clean so that my natural oils keep flowing. I also part my hair in bigger sections around the hair line to avoid stressing those delicate tresses.

HTH

Faith

I have been having that issue so I baid it gently. Take more hair in the front per braid. And I have been using MT on my hairline.

taytay86

I redo the 2 rows around my entire head every 2 weeks. I massage castor oil on my edges nightly which promotes growth and thickness. Since when I'm in braids I usually wash my hair every day or every other day, there is no build up from the castor oil. Even if I don't fully wash, I atleast let water hit it to keep the scalp clean so that my natural oils keep flowing. I also part my hair in bigger sections around the hair line to avoid stressing those delicate tresses.

HTH

I do the same thing too! I firmly believe in a clean scalp. It's what made me get my length back in less than a year. The only thing is, I try to wear cornrows instead of singles because I like to get my hair redone every two weeks and I don't have the time to take out singles anymore.

taytay86

Are you styling your braids, as in up dos etc? That will cause stress around your edges so be really gentle. I know i was guilty of that one all that inadvertent pulling was adding extra stress to the front of my hair. Are you sleeping with a scarf?

I always sleep in a scarf! ever since I was a little girl...I don't wear singles, I wear cornrows back, and redo them ever two weeks. So what advice do you have for that? I find it's easier to find a solution for singles -- but what about cornrows?