I can't believe this! Help Please!!

greenbees

Okay ladies,
This morning as I was washing DC out of my hair, I pulled down some of the hair in front of my head and it only reached my hose. My freaking' nose, while the rest is a few inches beneath my chin.
So, I'm obviously dealing with breakage. :cry: I can't understand why since I JUST did a protein treatment with Nexxus Emergencee yesterday. I've been trying to reach BSL for forever and a day (I'm BSB now) and I know this isn't going to help me.
This is my reggie.
Wash once a week (pre-poo with oil first)
DC after wash for 30 minutes or longer
Moisturize, lightly seal and twist hair up (I usually pin it up into a style).

About every 2 weeks, I'll use Aphogee 2 minutes. About every 4-6 weeks, I use DRC 28/Nexxus Emergencee/etc. (My hair breaks very easily and loves protein).

A little about my hair: 4a coils, very fine strands.

Can someone give me a little advice? :cry:

darlingdiva

Besides Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee 2-min, and DRC 28, what other products do you use?

I know you say that your hair loves protein, but hair needs moisture too. Maybe your hair is breaking because it needs more moisture.

BERlin

First, :hug2:

I think it is natural to experience breakage along the edges, a majority of the women here have experienced what you're speaking of or worse along their HHJ. As counter-intuitive as it may sound, don't panic. Stress will only worsen your overall health and it'll keep you from thinking straight.
Also, you say you twist and pin-up your hair. How tight are these twists, or the styles you make your twists in? When I experienced breakage along my front edges, it was because I was doing too many wet buns on the top of my head. I can't tell you exactly what's going on with your breakage or how you can help things, but I think if you evaluate your styling regimen you'll find some over-manipulation or tight styling would be the culprit of this breakage.
If you handle your handle really gently, I would say you should visit a dermatologist or trichologist. Either way, visit the threads on this board about growing back edges. You can do it!

greenbees

Besides Nexxus Emergencee, Aphogee 2-min, and DRC 28, what other products do you use?

I know you say that your hair loves protein, but hair needs moisture too. Maybe your hair is breaking because it needs more moisture.

I use a moisturizing deep conditioner every week (Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, KBB Luscious Locks masks, Bee Mine's moisturizing DC, etc). I apply KBB's hair milk as my leave in moisturizer after I wash and I moisturize through the week with Taliah Waajid's protective mist bodifier.

I only use my shower comb to detangle. I do use bobby pins to style my hair so maybe that's the culprit?

darlingdiva

I use a moisturizing deep conditioner every week (Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk, KBB Luscious Locks masks, Bee Mine's moisturizing DC, etc). I apply KBB's hair milk as my leave in moisturizer after I wash and I moisturize through the week with Taliah Waajid's protective mist bodifier.

I only use my shower comb to detangle. I do use bobby pins to style my hair so maybe that's the culprit?

Hmm...those conditioners sound pretty good. Plus, I don't think the use of bobby pins is enough to justify the kind of breakage you're describing.

Have you checked some of the hairs to be sure that it is breakage and not shedding?

Also, how is your diet?

greenbees

darlingdiva said:
Hmm...those conditioners sound pretty good. Plus, I don't think the use of bobby pins is enough to justify the kind of breakage you're describing.

Have you checked some of the hairs to be sure that it is breakage and not shedding?

Also, how is your diet?

I'm pretty sure I have breakage and shredding. My shed hair has the bulbs while my hair that is breaking off its usually little hairs that I see on my comb or in the shower.

I have to admit, my diet isn't the best. Sometimes, I eat very healthy foods but a lot of times, I do go for fast food and junk food. I know that needs to definitely change.

SmilingElephant

You may need to just leave the hard protein alone. I know i can't use any hard protein at all:nono: If my hair needs strengthening i just add an egg to my moisturizing DC or i use a DC that has a little protein in it...that's it.

I've been noticing lately...it seems a lot of the members on here that have issues with breakage are using hard protein like the Aphogee 2 step treatment. Just leave the protein alone for 6 months and keep your hair moisturized.:yep:

ravenhairedcharm

Alright, products may be a part of the problem but I think a part of it may be how you handle your hair as well. I say this because you never mentioned that your hair was dry or that you were having problems with it up until you saw this breakage. Usually if a product isn't working well for you, you'll experience symptoms like dryness or your hair's not feeling or acting right beforehand (unless you were ignoring the problem). So is your hair dry? Because if your hair feels fine, then I would say maybe you haven't really figured out how to handle/detangle your hair without breaking your hair off and you need to be more gentle when combing your hair. Since you said your hair is fine, how you handle your hair matters even more than the products you use.

Like everyone else said though, regardless of how your hair may be feeling, I think you are overusing the Emergencee and the DRC-28. If your hair is truly ok with protein (because everyone's hair is different) using a mild protein like the Aphogee 2 minute even once a week is not enough to damage and break someone's hair off unless how they go about handling their hair is wrong. How gentle are you with your hair? How often do you comb it? Do you comb it wet or dry?

Last edited:

Eritreladiee

I have very fine hair too and find that using conditioners with soy proteins can help. You'll get a good balance of moisture and protein at the same time. Same with if you use DC's with mayo, egg proteins etc. that also moisturize, rather than using something strictly for protein, and then using something else strictly for moisture.

I also found that henna can help thickening up the hair strands and make your hair stronger, given that you DC alot afterwards. You can avoid the red colour by using indigo.

bride91501

This may not be a popular opinion, but is it possible that maybe you're not using enough protein in your regimen?

If I read your OP correctly, you use Aphogee 2minute every 2 weeks, and the stronger PTs every 4-6 weeks, correct?

If your strands really are very fine and really love protein like you say, you may want to consider incorporating the milder Aphogee 2minute PT into your weekly regimen, instead of biweekly. Maybe mixing a bit of it into your moisturizing DC, or doing the milder PT right before your moisturizing DC. You may find that your strands will be strong enough for you to be able to forgo the stronger PT every 4-6 weeks (or maybe delay it) with this change.

Most of my strands are also fine, and I've learned in the last 6 months how much my hair loves protein, and how incorporating milder, more frequent treatments has really helped with my retention.

HTH!

CountryBumpkin

i think it's important to know your hair properties to know whether or not protein will work for you.

each of my hair strands is very thick, almost as thick as a thread. My cuticle lays flat, (clean naked hair has a sheenish gloss, does not look dull, very slipper when you rub a hair the wrong way, or up the shaft,) and my hair is very non-porous (does not let water in or out easily). Any extra protein is too much on my hair and makes it break off.

People who have thinner hair strands, raised cuticles (not so much of a sheen to the naked hair, you can feel a "catch" when you rub your hair the wrong way, up the shaft) and is very porous (lets water in easily, but dries out quickly) most likely has hair that will benefit from proteins.

greenbees

Thank you everyone for your advice! :)

You may need to just leave the hard protein alone. I know i can't use any hard protein at all:nono: If my hair needs strengthening i just add an egg to my moisturizing DC or i use a DC that has a little protein in it...that's it.

I've been noticing lately...it seems a lot of the members on here that have issues with breakage are using hard protein like the Aphogee 2 step treatment. Just leave the protein alone for 6 months and keep your hair moisturized.:yep:

I may try that. I'm always paranoid about my breakage so I pull out the big guns in order to nip it in the bud.

Alright, products may be a part of the problem but I think a part of it may be how you handle your hair as well. I say this because you never mentioned that your hair was dry or that you were having problems with it up until you saw this breakage. Usually if a product isn't working well for you, you'll experience symptoms like dryness or your hair's not feeling or acting right beforehand (unless you were ignoring the problem). So is your hair dry? Because if your hair feels fine, then I would say maybe you haven't really figured out how to handle/detangle your hair without breaking your hair off and you need to be more gentle when combing your hair. Since you said your hair is fine, how you handle your hair matters even more than the products you use.

Like everyone else said though, regardless of how your hair may be feeling, I think you are overusing the Emergencee and the DRC-28. If your hair is truly ok with protein (because everyone's hair is different) using a mild protein like the Aphogee 2 minute even once a week is not enough to damage and break someone's hair off unless how they go about handling their hair is wrong. How gentle are you with your hair? How often do you comb it? Do you comb it wet or dry?

I only comb my hair when its soaking wet with conditioner in it, under a stream of water with my shower comb.
I can be gentler with my hair, sometimes when I take out my twists, I tend to pull the hair harder than I should.

HighAspirations

Co washing has been my best friend! I regular wash on sunday co wash Wednesday! sounds like you might just have a protein overload. Try to incorporate more moisture into you regimen. I love the mane and tail deep conditioner! :yep:

MyCoilsGoBoing

I can't answer your questions about the products and such. As for the bobby pins...just say no. I'm a fine hair 4a natural, and bobby pins are the devil for me. I use hairpins.