I dont comb my hair everyday...

Candy_C

And its has dramatically reduced breakage.

I basically do 8 large two-strand twists round my head (4 each side) at night and put my leave in spray (a cheapy from Boots - almond and coconut oil mixed with EVOO) inside the durag.

In the morn i undo these twists and lo and behond sum big silky waves.

i simply use my fingers and boar brush to put my hair into a donut bun (or a twist n clip) and i'm good to go. when i come home i let it out and do the same thing with the twists before bed.

After about 5 days its ready 2 wash. i comb and to my amazement because of the slight finger combing and high moisture, i have hardly any tangles. i really think combing is unnessary only to once or twice a week. I'm relaxed by the way, i kno if i went back to natural i would stay in the twists for two weeks n then wash like i used to. my hair was to my booty, i believe thats because of the no manipulation and hardly ANY combing.

TRY it out, and see how u go. try it from ur hair wash, to the next (if u wash once a week) u will see a bigggg difference in breakage!! PS. i comb b4 washing and then wen its dry i comb once more then thats it for the whole week, i believe this is why i am now past armpit length with thick ends, i had thin ends because of the single plait bun, but the donut and twist bun is very good if your ends are thin... my i add, i used to have DRY ends. i realised my hair stylist was using NORMAL kitchen scissors :eek: :eek: :eek: i went to a salon had my hair cut (liek 2 inches :mad: ) with sharp scissors, and now i haven't trimmed for 8 months n my ends r great! and less combin = less trims i have found. i now dust every 3 months or so, and use heat every 3 months too,,,adios!xx

Last edited:

Divine Inspiration

Amen sista! I tried this and it really does reduce breakage. I had to remember to finger comb to keep the tangles away, but once I figured that out, it was heaven. The only comb that ever touches my hair is the wonderful Jilbere' de Paris or a bone comb, but that's usually only on wash days. I've gotten out of the habit of wearing straight hair so the daily manipulation has been tremendously reduced.
I'm gonna try the twist bun as opposed to my single plait bun. I don't have thin ends right now, but I definitely don't wanna see any from wearing the single plait bun...
I'll try this out after tonight's poo and see how it does.

Thanks!

Candy_C

Divine Inspiration said:
Amen sista! I tried this and it really does reduce breakage. I had to remember to finger comb to keep the tangles away, but once I figured that out, it was heaven. The only comb that ever touches my hair is the wonderful Jilbere' de Paris or a bone comb, but that's usually only on wash days. I've gotten out of the habit of wearing straight hair so the daily manipulation has been tremendously reduced.
I'm gonna try the twist bun as opposed to my single plait bun. I don't have thin ends right now, but I definitely don't wanna see any from wearing the single plait bun...

Thanks!

Hey that Jilbere De PAris comb sounds so nice! lol just the name itself is appealing to me. oh yes try the twist n pin bun, its so nice n carefree, sometime just plaiting my hair used 2 cause breakage! especially when i was due for a relaxer, the oils were not travelling to the much needed places as much and snap crackle pop went me ends. my hair was a sorry site after those plait buns!! when its longer, i will definately do those, my plaits look like what we call "doo doo" plaits lol!

Millahdoowop

I don't do either bun. I do the bun where I don't pull the hair all the way through the ponytail holder. More like a ponytail with the ends tucked under. Will that cause damage to my ends?

Candy_C

Millah03 said:
I don't do either bun. I do the bun where I don't pull the hair all the way through the ponytail holder. More like a ponytail with the ends tucked under. Will that cause damage to my ends?

I do that bun but only if i'm in a rush. if you tuck the ends underneath the hair at the neck area (if u get what i mean - as thought ur tucking it again underneath some hair were u can cover it with) then that is good. dont let them be freely exposed to the air, make sure they are hidden completely and u will be fine!

Candy_C said:
I do that bun but only if i'm in a rush. if you tuck the ends underneath the hair at the neck area (if u get what i mean - as thought ur tucking it again underneath some hair were u can cover it with) then that is good. dont let them be freely exposed to the air, make sure they are hidden completely and u will be fine!

That's what I do with my "buns".
I don't comb my hair either. I finger comb occassionally.

sylver2

Candy_C said:
Its actually you who i learnt this off ...haha :D (while i was lurker laydee).

hey thanks girlee, yup it definately works. A lot of peole don't want to try it cause they don't like tangles, etc. For me I don't care. I wear my scarf everynight, get up, smooth down with NTM serum and and keep on going.
This summer I wore mostly braidouts. So barely combed for the entire summer and now I wear hair wavy from bantu knots.

Candy_C

sylver2 said:
hey thanks girlee, yup it definately works. A lot of peole don't want to try it cause they don't like tangles, etc. For me I don't care. I wear my scarf everynight, get up, smooth down with NTM serum and and keep on going.
This summer I wore mostly braidouts. So barely combed for the entire summer and now I wear hair wavy from bantu knots.

oh yay ur a wavy girl now. i remember you loving the straight look. have u noticed how the more wavy ur hair is, the more moist it seems? or is that just me..if it is, then shame!

CurleeDST

How did a single plait bun contribute to thinning ends?

Also, how are you ladies creating the twist bun? Can someone provide step by step b/c I tried it when I straightened my natural hair and I could not get it to stay.

My hair is to the top of my back straightened so maybe it isn't long enough b/c I think it should be.

BTW beautiful hair ladies!

Divine Inspiration said:

Thanks!

sylver2

Candy_C said:
oh yay ur a wavy girl now. i remember you loving the straight look. have u noticed how the more wavy ur hair is, the more moist it seems? or is that just me..if it is, then shame!

lol...It has been soooo long since I wore it bone straight. Its still how I like my hair but I don't have to work as much on it now like I did with it straight.
Leaving it wavy does keep it more moisturized and its so easy to keep. Thats how I can have tangles and u can't tell cause of the waves..lol.

Candy_C

sylver2 said:
lol...It has been soooo long since I wore it bone straight. Its still how I like my hair but I don't have to work as much on it now like I did with it straight.
Leaving it wavy does keep it more moisturized and its so easy to keep. Thats how I can have tangles and u can't tell cause of the waves..lol.
mwuhahaha so very true!. i kno its so easy, thats how hair should be. easy and carefree

Candy_C

CurleeDST said:

Also, how are you ladies creating the twist bun? Can someone provide step by step b/c I tried it when I straightened my natural hair and I could not get it to stay.

My hair is to the top of my back straightened so maybe it isn't long enough b/c I think it should be.

I feel it contributed to thin ends because 1. they were dry underneath my cottony scrunchie 2. they were compacted without some sort of formation (twist or plait - my ends wud free up and become loose for the last 1/2 inch or so)

3. a twist bun is basically, putting ur hair in a pony, and twisting it carefully upwards and clipping up, or putting the ends under and clipping that way. i'm sure u will be able to do this, regardless of the length. u can also twirl the twist around ina circle n clip that way, but because i have layers i get lil curly bits dropping down, but its quite cute so i dont really mind unless its real windy

hope this helps babes xx

CurleeDST

With your finger combing what type of moisturizer is being used?

Candy_C said:
I feel it contributed to thin ends because 1. they were dry underneath my cottony scrunchie 2. they were compacted without some sort of formation (twist or plait - my ends wud free up and become loose for the last 1/2 inch or so)

3. a twist bun is basically, putting ur hair in a pony, and twisting it carefully upwards and clipping up, or putting the ends under and clipping that way. i'm sure u will be able to do this, regardless of the length. u can also twirl the twist around ina circle n clip that way, but because i have layers i get lil curly bits dropping down, but its quite cute so i dont really mind unless its real windy

hope this helps babes xx

shoelover1972

This is a stupid question but how do you ladies finger comb your hair? Do you just literally run your fingers through your whole hair once or section it etc?

Divine Inspiration

pradalover said:
This is a stupid question but how do you ladies finger comb your hair? Do you just literally run your fingers through your whole hair once or section it etc?
:lol: This was funny to me for some reason. It's definitely not a stupid question b/c for the longest when I heard people say finger comb I'd be lookin like :confused:
For me, finger combing is just using my fingers like teeth in a comb and gently raking through the length and removing any tangles. It's soooo much gentler than combing, and it's less time consuming.

I'm not sure how this is possible if you're wearing a straight style and wrapping at night... :ohwell: but with braidouts, twisouts, bantu knots etc etc, it's pretty easy to just piece through it and keep it movin.
HTH :look:

ETA: Some folks finger comb in sections some don't. If I'm trying to be thorough I'll finger comb in sections, but oftentimes I'll just put moisturizer or light oil on my hands and comb through it one half at a time or bottom first then top etc etc

sky_blu

I dont come everyday either and my hair look a dang mess :lachen: somebody give me an emergency remedy.

caligirl

The ONLY time I comb my hair is after I wash it in order to set it in braids. Other than that I just use my hands and scarf to smooth my hair everyday. If you have naturally curly hair (which we all do even if its relaxed) you don't need to be raking a comb thru your hair everyday like Marsha Brady.

Divine Inspiration

CurleeDST said:

I put my hair in a loose ponytail and I wrap the length around the base of the ponytail then use a Good Days hair pin or another elastic to hold it in place. This for me is a twisted bun, but Candy C already outlined the twist bun.

cocoberry10

sky_blu said:
I dont come everyday either and my hair look a dang mess :lachen: somebody give me an emergency remedy.

I also tried this method (I am currently in braids, so I don't comb at all right now). It worked in some places, but the hair in the center of my head turned into a big knot, so I am also looking for tips. I'll be taking my braids out in a week or so. Thanks!

hopeful

caligirl said:
The ONLY time I comb my hair is after I wash it in order to set it in braids. Other than that I just use my hands and scarf to smooth my hair everyday. If you have naturally curly hair (which we all do even if its relaxed) you don't need to be raking a comb thru your hair everyday like Marsha Brady.

LOL at the Marsha Brady comment.:lol:

Keen

I don't comb my hair daily either. I've had to smooth my buns with a comb in the morning though. I mist my hair at night and sleep with a shower cap. So my hair is semi wet in the morning. I'm not sure the benefit of this because I've only been doing it for a month.

CurleeDST

Thanks for this. I tried it today by taking a scunci, gathering my wet natural hair, looped once, looped twice and pulled the hair 2/3rds of the way through so the ends are tucked and it is holding up well so far.

We will see after I go running this afternoon at the gym.

Thanks ladies!

Divine Inspiration said:
I put my hair in a loose ponytail and I wrap the length around the base of the ponytail then use a Good Days hair pin or another elastic to hold it in place. This for me is a twisted bun, but Candy C already outlined the twist bun.

MizAvalon

Another non-comber here! :wave: I only comb in the shower with my Jilbere shower comb with conditioner in my hair. The rest of the time I just finger comb and smooth with my hands.

Mestiza

I haven't been combing my hair everyday, either. I comb my hair thoroughly on wash days and I've only been losing a very small amount of shed hair.