I dont comb my hair everyday...

Candy_C

i agree ladies. if i airdry, i like my curls to stay defined...annndd if i comb...OH LARDDD a big massive bush is created! if i wait 4 days before i comb, its so moisturised oiled an so on, its silky straight with a few big kinks. i LURVE not combing! :)

I swear that this is making my hair even thicker, i have regrowth already, i must add BIOTIN..is a wonderful thang, especially if you dont comb often too, the thickness is phenomenal

PS . THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES LADIES, THIS IS MY FIRST PROPER HAIR POST, and you've all chimed in. xXx

Last edited:

tryn2growmyhair

Is it this one?

I tried it but it made my hair dry and crunchy. I will try it again. If it is this one, how has it made your hair feel?

Candy_C

tryn2growmyhair said:
Is it this one?

I tried it but it made my hair dry and crunchy. I will try it again. If it is this one, how has it made your hair feel?

THATS THE ONE!

i spray it on the inside of my durag and in the morning my hair is so soft and moisturized. it smells like heaven!

the ingredients r wicked. i mixed some EVOO in mine.

imani97

I finger comb my hair too. I realized that I had officially left my comb to the side when I went to my parents house over Christmas for what ended up being a week, and realized that I hadn't packed my comb! :eek: I didn't need it though, I just felt naked without it.

SherryLove

sylver2 said:
yup, I don't ever comb my hair xcept when I wash it.

very interesting, sylver.... i will try this and see how it works... i usally comb my hair twice a week......

sylver2

SherryLove said:
very interesting, sylver.... i will try this and see how it works... i usally comb my hair twice a week......

Yup, thats when I really started noticing my hair growth...by mistake. A year and half ago. My hair was 2 inches past shoulders Spring 04.
In April I bought that waver curling iron and did my hair. All waves.,nice.
Next day I got lazy and threw scarf on it witout re curling.
I liked the sleek way it looked so I didn't do anything but just throw scarf on it again with hair hanging out and maybe rewave a piece here and there, I never used a comb. We went on vacation in June, I wore it like that whole time, just being lazy, didn't even take a comb.
Next thing I know after we come home I get touch up in July which I had also waited to get, I usually got one every 6 weeks, but this time because I was being lazy I waited about 9 weeks.
My hair was bra strap, I was like :eek: because my hair has always grown very slow.
So I backtracked and realized it had to be the no combing hair and stretching of my relaxer. So by fall I realized this and also realized my hair was being overprocessed and had some splits from waver iron.
I went and got 4 inches cut off, threw away waver replaced with bantu knots, and did the 6 month stretch and been doing the no combing ever since.

Sistaslick

ITA about the less combing the better. I only comb on wash days as well-- usually twice a week. Much less breakage this way.

Isis

I haven't used a comb other than wash days since I came to LHCF. It's really made my life easier not having to worry about breakage from combing. My eyes continue to be open for other tips to keep things simple and protect my hair.

SweetCaramel1

Candy_C said:
And its has dramatically reduced breakage.

I basically do 8 large two-strand twists round my head (4 each side) at night and put my leave in spray (a cheapy from Boots - almond and coconut oil mixed with EVOO) inside the durag.

In the morn i undo these twists and lo and behond sum big silky waves.

i simply use my fingers and boar brush to put my hair into a donut bun (or a twist n clip) and i'm good to go. when i come home i let it out and do the same thing with the twists before bed.

After about 5 days its ready 2 wash. i comb and to my amazement because of the slight finger combing and high moisture, i have hardly any tangles. i really think combing is unnessary only to once or twice a week. I'm relaxed by the way, i kno if i went back to natural i would stay in the twists for two weeks n then wash like i used to. my hair was to my booty, i believe thats because of the no manipulation and hardly ANY combing.

TRY it out, and see how u go. try it from ur hair wash, to the next (if u wash once a week) u will see a bigggg difference in breakage!! PS. i comb b4 washing and then wen its dry i comb once more then thats it for the whole week, i believe this is why i am now past armpit length with thick ends, i had thin ends because of the single plait bun, but the donut and twist bun is very good if your ends are thin... my i add, i used to have DRY ends. i realised my hair stylist was using NORMAL kitchen scissors :eek: :eek: :eek: i went to a salon had my hair cut (liek 2 inches :mad: ) with sharp scissors, and now i haven't trimmed for 8 months n my ends r great! and less combin = less trims i have found. i now dust every 3 months or so, and use heat every 3 months too,,,adios!xx

hi Candy! i try to comb my hair as little as possible. when i first read people were finger combing their hair i was like what :eek: , but it actually works. now, i probably comb 2 to 3 times a week.

Mahalialee4

Doesn't some of your strands stick together? If you are natural, and your hair is thick with natural wave and curl in it? My hair is fine and it will just latch on to itself. But I am really trying to avoid the combing and over brushing. My hair thanks me in thickness, but I do not want any of it to stick and dread. What would you suggest for naturals with thick hair, lots of shrinkage and hair that likes to curl around itself from the ears down? bonjour

Candy_C

Mahalialee4 said:
Doesn't some of your strands stick together? If you are natural, and your hair is thick with natural wave and curl in it? My hair is fine and it will just latch on to itself. But I am really trying to avoid the combing and over brushing. My hair thanks me in thickness, but I do not want any of it to stick and dread. What would you suggest for naturals with thick hair, lots of shrinkage and hair that likes to curl around itself from the ears down? bonjour

well when i was natural my hair was also fine but i had LOTTTSS of it, which in turn created thickeness.

if i was natural i would most likely (after washing) use a leave in, comb in sections, add moisturizor/oil and platt/twist. my hair was very long when natural and i would wash my hair every 2 weeks. my hair was very coarse and extremely shrinky! i used to stratch my braids wishing the true length would show!!! hope thats helps ma dear :)

Candy_C

Re: This is how much hair i have lost after 5 days of no-combing...

this is the effect of not combing and also with the aid of biotin - after 5 days and using amla oil overnight b4 the combout.....

i'm sure this is no more than 100 hairs, and after 5 days i usually expect a helluva lot more! i thank biotin for this and also the fact of minimal manipulation throughout the 5 days. i guess no combing does have benefits as b4 i started this i would lose more than this amount per day.

hope this helps anybody who has excessive shedding or breakage issues! ps. i'm also an obsessive air-dryer!!

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I don't comb my hair everyday either.

One week, I was combing my hair everyday to sport a picked out afro and I just thought it was too much manipulation.

Now I'm back to just combing my hair when it's wet with conditioner in the shower on my wash day.

hot_pepper96

I finger comb as it gets closer to my touch up date. Then I comb every 2 days with my Wide Teeth Comb. I slater my hair w/S-Curl & then Nexxus Botanic Oil, then use a soft brush to smooth my hair into a bun.

I just bring all the hair together and twist it like a rope and twist into a circle and clip it w/those long silver roller clips.

Samaria

Candy_C said:
corse yeh! what like?

like my hair process within the 5 days?

I SWEAR YOU ARE SO AWESOME GIRLIE.....OF HOW YOU DO THE TWIST STRANDS YOU DESCRIBED IN THE FIRST POST, basically the entire process of how you do it... you are one of my hairspirations!!

Candy_C

Samaria said:
I SWEAR YOU ARE SO AWESOME GIRLIE.....OF HOW YOU DO THE TWIST STRANDS YOU DESCRIBED IN THE FIRST POST, basically the entire process of how you do it... you are one of my hairspirations!!

bless you. ur in luck, as i'm just about 2 rinse my conditioner off. so i can show you! i will do twists 2morro, as i only do them when my hair is near enough dry - 2nite i'll do my baggy technique :) i'm kinda ill, so i'm moving at like 0.2 mph but u will see when i post anyway

PhonyBaloney500

Mahalialee4 said:

Hmm the strands are NOT going to lock if you comb only once a week. Just make sure that that one combing COUNTS and you get every section. I'm not gonna lie--I wasn't combing well (my comb was a bit TOOO wide toothed and I wan't being strategic about it) and did have a very small section (like a bit smaller than a pencil) that got locked (a hairdresser combed it out though).

I used to comb my hair dry a few times a week and lose HUGE tufts of hair. I thought it was normal lol!

Blackbird77

I don't comb my hair at all either. My last time officially combing was June 23, 2005. I only comb it if I decide to press it to check my growth progress (which was like 3 times since December and not straight, straight). Not combing has helped my ends stay on my head longer and it feels thicker, too. I'm new to the boards, by the way, and felt I wanted to share this point with everybody.

Samaria

Candy_C said:
bless you. ur in luck, as i'm just about 2 rinse my conditioner off. so i can show you! i will do twists 2morro, as i only do them when my hair is near enough dry - 2nite i'll do my baggy technique :) i'm kinda ill, so i'm moving at like 0.2 mph but u will see when i post anyway

Thank you sooo much!! Thank you Thank you :)

Candy_C

Blackbird77 said:
I don't comb my hair at all either. My last time officially combing was June 23, 2005. I only comb it if I decide to press it to check my growth progress (which was like 3 times since December and not straight, straight). Not combing has helped my ends stay on my head longer and it feels thicker, too. I'm new to the boards, by the way, and felt I wanted to share this point with everybody.

hey welcome!!!

yes i agree the thickness factor is unbelievable!! my hair used to grow and i'd have these thin scraggly ends. now my ends are very thick and full, combing just tears them off! combing less makes the strands stronger and they get a chance to thicken in peace rather then being caught mid-way

Candy_C

caligirl said:
The ONLY time I comb my hair is after I wash it in order to set it in braids. Other than that I just use my hands and scarf to smooth my hair everyday. If you have naturally curly hair (which we all do even if its relaxed) you don't need to be raking a comb thru your hair everyday like Marsha Brady.

HAHAHHAAA

very true

*ElleB

I have to comb at least once a day, am I the onli one? Or at least rake the hair into place, lightly as possible. I put on a scarf every night, but I can't control how I sleep, and when I wake my hair NEEDS to be combed!! I'm brushless, and the only way I not comb is by wearing the same style daily, but I have a big issue with roots matting up one me...I dunno, if I can do this 'no-combing' even if it means I have to lose a little bit more hair... :(

Candy_C

Samaria said:
So how do you ladies detangle after say a wash?? Please educate this sista!!

shall i tell u something that sounds unbelievable?

i dont detangle...ONLY b4 i wash my hair.
i comb out and comb backwards then rinse my hair in the shower - backwards

then i use a bristle brush and brush into a pony tail and add a baggie

in the morn i remove the baggie and let the pony dry. i take my hair out the pony and shift my hair into a parting down the middle of my head (which is naturally there now as i do this so much.

i then braid 4 twists each side.... i'll show u visually anyway, just thought i'd give u an idea what to expect :D