I dont understand my hair...

Rosyposie

Ok Heres the deal...I dont seem to understand my hair. It sheds too much!!
Im scared to comb it because when I comb it, so much hair is left on the comb.
My hair is very thin and fine. I tried the hair journey thing last year to no avail.
Ive tried deep conditioning it more, cowashing, black tea rinses, and even stretching...and my hair has not gotten
any better.
Ive just started doing my own hair again two weeks ago, and I cant stand all this hair loss. Last week I decided to
wash and deep condition my hair. I used Loreal Everstrong shampoo and deep condition with Mane n Tail conditioner.
When I started shampooing my hair, I tried to be as gentle as possible, and I still had a lot of hair in my hands and in the tub.
Then I proceeded to apply the Mane n Tail conditioner, and left it in for 1 hour, and when it was time to rinse it off..my hair fell out in clumps.
I checked to see if I had any bald spots, but I didnt see any. Fast forward 1 week, I did a dry deep conditioning with Lustrasilk Cholesterol, and
left it in for two hours and the same thing happened. I dont know what to do. Im not sure why I am losing all this hair.
I am attaching 2 pics...The first is from the hairs that I lossed last week, and the 2nd is yesterday.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 2010-07-17%2021.33.49[1].jpg
    2010-07-17%2021.33.49[1].jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 2010-07-24%2015.36.32[1].jpg
    2010-07-24%2015.36.32[1].jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 116

KurlyNinja

Are you sure its shed hair and not breakage? If its shed hair I know a lot of ladies on here add garlic powder to their conditioners... It helps with shedding. Also black tea rinses and/or coffee rinses help with shedding. I know it takes a long time for people to understand their hair. I'm a newbie at this and I know it will be a looooong time before I can fully understand my hair. Heck! There are some people on here for years just now realizing something their hair loves. I just take it all in stride and try not to do something completely stupid that will mess up my hair too much :perplexed

hopeful

Please provide more details. Are you natural, relaxed, or texlaxed? Is your hair dyed? What is your hair length and texture? Your hair history: lots of heat or not, air-drying, rollersets, twists, damage from bad hair dressers, too much heat, over-processed or under processed? Have you always had this shedding problem or is this new?

Poopiedo

Are you taking any medications?
Do you drink a lot of water? Exercise?
What type of relaxer do you use and how often?
Have you tried using a protein followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner?
Have you ever prepooed with oils?
Do you own a steamer?
Do you use heat tools to style your hair during the week? If so, how often?
What type of moisture do you use during the week if any?
What size comb are you using?

The questions could help you determine what you need to do to tweak your regimen.

lboogie2679

If you are experiencing this much shedding it may be an internal issue. I would suggest evaluating your diet and having your blood work done. It could be a combination of internal issues and hair practices.

lea86111

if its shed hair, aren't we supposed to have like 70 to 100 shed hairs a day or smth like that? If ur hair is long or even medium length that amount would seem like a lot esp if ur only seeing this once a week when u comb/wash/dc.

n e way, my hair didnt start behaving til this year when i started my journey again, before when i re-relaxed after being natural for abt a year n a half, my hair would NOT cooperate with me! No matter what i did, if would break like only the lord knows what, but i kept cutting the ends then ps'ed for a while and now m good! Also try using very moisturizing dc instead of only protein ones! Like maybe do a aphogee 2 step then follow it with a moisturizing dc and do the same weekly (the moisturizing dc not the aphogee)
good luck

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Ok Heres the deal...I dont seem to understand my hair. It sheds too much!!
Im scared to comb it because when I comb it, so much hair is left on the comb.
My hair is very thin and fine. I tried the hair journey thing last year to no avail.
Ive tried deep conditioning it more, cowashing, black tea rinses, and even stretching...and my hair has not gotten
any better.
Ive just started doing my own hair again two weeks ago, and I cant stand all this hair loss. Last week I decided to
wash and deep condition my hair. I used Loreal Everstrong shampoo and deep condition with Mane n Tail conditioner.
When I started shampooing my hair, I tried to be as gentle as possible, and I still had a lot of hair in my hands and in the tub.
Then I proceeded to apply the Mane n Tail conditioner, and left it in for 1 hour, and when it was time to rinse it off..my hair fell out in clumps.
I checked to see if I had any bald spots, but I didnt see any. Fast forward 1 week, I did a dry deep conditioning with Lustrasilk Cholesterol, and
left it in for two hours and the same thing happened. I dont know what to do. Im not sure why I am losing all this hair.
I am attaching 2 pics...The first is from the hairs that I lossed last week, and the 2nd is yesterday.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

RUN to the doctor to have blood work done.

Lissa0821

I have fine hair as well. I would recommend during a prepoo with oil (coconut, olive, castor or even Hot 6 oil the choice is yours). Sometimes I oil my scalp, cover my head hot moist towel and cover with a plastic bag for about 20 minutes. Or I will oil my hair the night before and wear a bun over night. I then wash my hair in the shower so the force of water keeps my hair straight. I absolutely do not detangle in the shower the water makes my hair too heavy and combing my hair in the shower pulls out some much more. My shampoo and conditioner must have slip too. When I am done in the shower, I don't wring out my hair, I cover it with a plastic cap. When I am ready to start rollersetting, I spray my wet hair with detangler and smooth on my leave in then I start to detangle with a wide toot comb followed by a medium size comb.

Another side note, always detangle your hair before you starting washing your hair and be gentle with your hair at all times. HTH

Janet'

First, let me say :welcome: :newbie: to the board!!!

I wish that I could give you some advice, but you are definitely in the right place. These ladies will help you and you will start understanding your hair in no time!!!

Rosyposie

Thanks for your response everyone. Sorry I was a little vague with my explanation.
Im relaxed, shoulder length hair. My hair started shedding really badly about 4 years ago, when I had a terrible flu that lasts for about two weeks. Soon after, my hair texture changed from 4b to a more looser curl (temporary) and my hair started shedding something serious (not temporary :-/). My hair has been shedding ever since. I always get my hair done by a stylist, but I wanted to try this on my own. I dont comb my hair a lot during the week, because I lose so much hair. I just fingercombed througout the week--still lose too much. I stay away from heat.
When I wash my hair I did a braidout for the first few days, and put my hair in a ponytail for the end of the week. I moisturize my hair evreyday with He LTR and seal with olive oil. I dont exercise that much even though I should, and I think I eat healthy. I dont take any medications, but I always have migraines--not sure if that even have anything to do with it.
I used to relax my hair every 7-8 weeks, but now I am trying to push it to 10 weeks. I am currently 5 weeks post. I dont prepoo with oils, I dont own a steamer, I stay away from curling irons, but I just started using Caruso steam rollers. I try to not grease my scalp too much since I noticed my hair fall out more when I grease it. I only use wide tooth comb because of all the hair I shed.
One more thing, I used to shed a lot of hair, with little brakage; now I have the same amount of breakkage as shed hair...which really frustrates me.

ctosha

I agree with the posts that suggest blood work. You may have low iron or some internal issues going on (hopefully not but just to be sure. If you are not already try taking a multivitamin. Take into consideration you also only comb your hair once a week and I believe the average person sheds 100 hairs per day or up to.

hopeful

Does your hair shed with the stylist? Or just when you do it? If I were you I would go to the stylist for now and get to the doctor as others suggested. It sounds like something is going on internally sense the flu you had 4 years ago. If your hair is shedding with the stylist I'm curious about her thoughts and suggestions as well. After four years of shedding and now breakage I'm surprised you are still shoulder length. Try not to worry too much and focus on finding a solution. Be persistent about finding a doctor who can help you. I suggested you go to the stylist for now because seeing all that hair loss is stressful and maybe it will better to focus on one thing at a time.

lboogie2679

I would first suggest evaluating your scalp. Do you have any issues? Do you apply products to it? Is it healthy or dry and itchy? Your scalp MUST be in a good condition to keep the hair from shedding. If you have scalp issues keep it clean and apply cocunut oil to help elevate issues. How is your iron levels? Are you taking a multi-vitamin? Taking iron and b-complex vits helped me alot. Also keep in mind that when you are doing braidouts and low manipulation styles shedding may seem extreme bc those hairs are not falling everyday like they would if your hair was straight.

Rosyposie

if its shed hair, aren't we supposed to have like 70 to 100 shed hairs a day or smth like that? If ur hair is long or even medium length that amount would seem like a lot esp if ur only seeing this once a week when u comb/wash/dc.

n e way, my hair didnt start behaving til this year when i started my journey again, before when i re-relaxed after being natural for abt a year n a half, my hair would NOT cooperate with me! No matter what i did, if would break like only the lord knows what, but i kept cutting the ends then ps'ed for a while and now m good! Also try using very moisturizing dc instead of only protein ones! Like maybe do a aphogee 2 step then follow it with a moisturizing dc and do the same weekly (the moisturizing dc not the aphogee)
good luck
That sounds like I good idea.. Ill try it this upcoming weekend...

Rosyposie

Does your hair shed with the stylist? Or just when you do it? If I were you I would go to the stylist for now and get to the doctor as others suggested. It sounds like something is going on internally sense the flu you had 4 years ago. If your hair is shedding with the stylist I'm curious about her thoughts and suggestions as well. After four years of shedding and now breakage I'm surprised you are still shoulder length. Try not to worry too much and focus on finding a solution. Be persistent about finding a doctor who can help you. I suggested you go to the stylist for now because seeing all that hair loss is stressful and maybe it will better to focus on one thing at a time.
The thing is I never really asked the stylist if I was losing that much hair when washing ...but, I did notice that there was a lot of hair when she was combing it, though...

lboogie2679

Are you using all the same products that you were using 4 years ago? If not, then it may not be products that are your problem unless you are putting them on your scalp.

hopeful

I went to a dermatologist about 4 years ago, when my hair started acting like this, and he said everything seemed to be ok...

That's why I said be persistent. One doctor 4 years ago is not enough IMO. I would see an internist for blood work and another dermatologist as well. Obviously everything is not okay if you are still having the same problem 4 years later. Getting to the bottom of a problem can be hard, but with faith and persistence I believe you will resolve this issue.

Rosyposie

I would first suggest evaluating your scalp. Do you have any issues? Do you apply products to it? Is it healthy or dry and itchy? Your scalp MUST be in a good condition to keep the hair from shedding. If you have scalp issues keep it clean and apply cocunut oil to help elevate issues. How is your iron levels? Are you taking a multi-vitamin? Taking iron and b-complex vits helped me alot. Also keep in mind that when you are doing braidouts and low manipulation styles shedding may seem extreme bc those hairs are not falling everyday like they would if your hair was straight.
I used to think I have scap issues, still do. The reason I say that is when I grease my scalp(once or twice a week), I lose way more hair...so now, I rarely grease my scalp. I am anemic, so maybe thats the reason? But my sister is anemic as well, but she doesnt lose the hairs that I lose...

hopeful

The thing is I never really asked the stylist if I was losing that much hair when washing ...but, I did notice that there was a lot of hair when she was combing it, though...

I'm surprised she didn't comment whether you asked or not. Well now that you know there is a problem, we will try to help you, as will your doctors, and your stylist can too if you discuss your concerns with her. You are on your way to resolving this issue :yep:. Stay positive and good luck.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Are you certain all the relaxer has been washed out and neutralized properly?:ohwell:

I always try to add that extra pre-caution after relaxing (especially since I lost 90% of my hair from overprocessing, double processing and poor neutralization at a Salon:blush:).

My hair came out exactly like what you are showing in your pics :nono:(by the handfuls). Also, the Mid-Protein step is also extremely helpful during the relaxing process.:yep:

Could it be the relaxer you are using? In addition to getting possible blood work, I would suggest a weekly regimen of Protein/Moisture.

I'd do something like Nexxus Emergencee, Ultra Sheen Duo-Tex or Apoghee 2 Step.

In addition, I would introduce a garlic product also into my regimen. If you don't want to get Nutrine Garlic or AE Garlic or even Queen Helene Garlic, I'd search the threads for the Garlic Powder added in conditioner. Maybe even a Garlic Capsule taken internally. Work on the Protein/Moisture balance.:yep:

Will be watching this thread.:sad:

Jetblackhair

Sorry this is happening to you, I know it's frustrating. Have you been to any doctor since 4 years ago? It sounds like the shedding has gotten worse, so you will need to see a doctor again. Also, you have to be persistent with a doctor. If you know something is wrong, get a second opinion.

Losing your hair can be a symptom of something going on internally. Low iron or Anemia will definitely cause your hair to shed, that's why it's so important to get your blood work done first, please start there.

Trying all of these different products in your hair doesn't seem to be working and may be contributing to even more hair shed & breakage.

kblc06

Hmmmm, while I don't want to scare you (and I'm not doctor as of yet), I think your prolonged flu may have triggered some autoimmune issues. I think you need to get to a doctor as soon as possible to have some blood work done. Anemia can also cause thinning and shedding. But this definitely sounds like an internal issue that needs to be checked out ASAP, especially if this has been going on for the past four years.

ETA: I just saw that you mentioned you were anemic. Have your iron levels checked, they are probably low. There was another member who had a similar issue and is now taking supplements to resolve it :yep:

Thanks for your response everyone. Sorry I was a little vague with my explanation.
Im relaxed, shoulder length hair. My hair started shedding really badly about 4 years ago, when I had a terrible flu that lasts for about two weeks. Soon after, my hair texture changed from 4b to a more looser curl (temporary) and my hair started shedding something serious (not temporary :-/). My hair has been shedding ever since. I always get my hair done by a stylist, but I wanted to try this on my own. I dont comb my hair a lot during the week, because I lose so much hair. I just fingercombed througout the week--still lose too much. I stay away from heat.
When I wash my hair I did a braidout for the first few days, and put my hair in a ponytail for the end of the week. I moisturize my hair evreyday with He LTR and seal with olive oil. I dont exercise that much even though I should, and I think I eat healthy. I dont take any medications, but I always have migraines--not sure if that even have anything to do with it.
I used to relax my hair every 7-8 weeks, but now I am trying to push it to 10 weeks. I am currently 5 weeks post. I dont prepoo with oils, I dont own a steamer, I stay away from curling irons, but I just started using Caruso steam rollers. I try to not grease my scalp too much since I noticed my hair fall out more when I grease it. I only use wide tooth comb because of all the hair I shed.
One more thing, I used to shed a lot of hair, with little brakage; now I have the same amount of breakkage as shed hair...which really frustrates me.

Last edited:

Bublin

i went through the same thing. i suggest seeing a doctor because it was my birth control causing my comtinuous shedding.

Yep. After a year i stopped using my birth control. It was playing havoc with me including my hair. I just wish i had put the two together. Thank goodness for the internet - i even found a blog called 'Life After The Merina Coil'. That thing is the devil.

I've always been a shedder (i havce low iron levels) but it went from bad to worse and also the worst breakage at the front. That thing has really set me back.

Also my hair is protien sensitive and Mane and Tail is protein i believe. I wanted that stuff to work so bad but it made my hair even more dry and brittle.

tasigurl

There are a ton of reasons for hair loss. Check out this link to the Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/DS00278/DSECTION=causes You need to play detective to find the cause. Normal shedding is anywhere from 50 to 100 strands a day. Keep in mind if you don’t brush your hair everyday or you are taking out braids ect you will have a lot more shed hair because it has built up. Is the shedding leading to thinning at the scalp? If you feel you hair is shedding more than normal For the shedding start with a few visits to your doctor and a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss. Get some answers get some tests done ect.

To help stop the breakage try a protein treatment. There are several different treatments out their check with your stylists to see what professional s/he offers. One that’s easy to get is Aphogee’s protein treatment. Make sure you get the moisturizer for follow up. Also no matter how bad you want to only do this every 6to 8 weeks.

Review your products. Keep what works and toss what doesn’t. Sulfate free shampoos, nothing with petroleum jelly or mineral oil. They both are anti-humectants that block the obsorbtion of moisture. The key is protein to strengthen your hair, moisture for suppleness and elasticity and natural oils for conditioning.

If you are thinning at the scalp I recommend Pravana’s Biojen 9 kit. I recommend the whole kit because their shampoo is sulfate-free. Or you can use Nioxin scalp treatment. I don’t recommend their shampoos because they are not sulfate-free. Nairobi has a hair recovery system too, however I have yet to try it.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I pray all works out and I'm sorry you are going through such frustrating events with your hair. I'm a newbie and I'm really trying to figure this HHJ out. Typically I only go to the salon for touch-ups and care for my hair at home the rest of the time. When I feel that my hair isn't behaving like normal, I visit my stylist for reassurance and counsel. I would say, much like many others, visit the salon and have your stylist assess your hair/situation, make a dr appt asap and go from there. IMHO, I would refrain from doing my hair until professionals could advise me on what's going on.

MissLawyerLady

Welcome to LHCF! A trip to the doctor can't hurt. I'm anemic- low blood iron and low iron reserves- and I've been really neglecting my supplements. Well, my neglect, coupled with a too strong relaxer, have me shedding terribly! I'm back on my supplements, but it will probably take 2 to 3 months before my iron is back to adequate levels.

Go ahead and make an appointment with an internist. Afterall, if the problem is really internal- all the external treatments in the world won't have a lasting effect.

Be blessed and update us.

Rosyposie

I want to say thank you to all for the wonderful advices you have given me...I cant really go to the doctor right now, because I dont have insurance (that sucks), will have one soon. As soon as I do, that will be the first place I will visit. I will go back to my stylist for now...Just wanted to be able to to care for my hair on my own, hopefully one day it will not be this difficult and stressful...Here is a pic I took last week..not really the best pic

Attachments

• 2010-07-17%2021.45.28[1].jpg
    2010-07-17%2021.45.28[1].jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 16