I had a Positive Salon Experience **pics inside**

brownsugarflyygirl

There are so many negative salon stories that I just wanted to share a positive one.

Im a 4a natural and I wanted to get my hair straightened for my birthday and my bootcamp progress photo. I had gone to this stylist to get my hair pressed for my graduation in May and although I was pleased with the final product there were things that I didnt like...so I was prepared this time. Here are the things that I liked during this visit:

1) While I was waiting, she told me that she was running behind and asked if I had dinner and suggested that I could go and get something. Usually, Im in the shop 5-10 minutes before she starts, this time the wait was an hour....when she walked me to the bowl she apologized profusely....usually stylist can care less about your time.

2) She told me what products she was using on my hair because she remembered that I liked to know. She also graciously agreed to use the comb that I brought to detangle my hair. Im tenderheaded and the comb she used before was just not for me :nono:

3) She added extra heat protectant in my hair when I asked. I told her that I would rather my hair be slightly heavier than to not have my naps snap back. She didnt object and just added...my hair was still very light and swingy in the end.

4) She ASKED me if I needed a trim, she said my ends werent that bad but she would trim it if I would like. I told her that I hadnt had a trim since I was there six months ago...so she decided to dust and showed me how little she was taking off. She is like the OPPOSITE of a scissor-happy stylist...who knew that existed?

5) She happily agreed to take this picture before dusting...I told her that I was a member of a hair website and was tracking my progress:

6) She transformed my 4a nappy hair to relaxer straight silkiness. My hair was bouncy and beautiful when I left. See last picture in my siggy. She even agreed to wrap my hair for me using the silk scarf I brought since it was drizzling outside.

It was such a positive salon experience to have someone who actually cares about your hair care needs and is proficient in being able to style your hair well. I am soo happy to have found her and I tipped her VERY generously.

Just wanted to add a positive experience amongst so many negatives :grin:

Shameless Plug: If anyone is looking for a stylist in the MD/DC area...pm me for her information. She is in Silver Spring...I drove all the way from VA and it was definitely worth it.

betty-boo

Wow, this was a good experience in truth! Your hair looks great! This has never happened to me and as I'm not planning on trying any more of the salons here in London, I will never know if it was possible!
But well done! Its good that you and your stylist have an understanding.

OrangeMoon

I glad have a WONDERFUL postive sale experience. Your hair looks beautiful Bootcamp is the truth. I guess I'll join for 2008.

mzhotniz86

the finished product came out great! i wish i had one stylist i could go to that had ALL those qualities. so far i have 3 different ones i deal with for different reasons. 1 is good on healthy hair, but i dont like the way she styles hair. the other is good about flat ironing, but the wait takes FOREVER and she is scissor happy. the last, she just convenient for the last minute hair appointments lol. i feel like a pimp.

*Muffin*

WOW! She's definitely a keeper. I've never met a hair stylist that wasn't scissor happy, and she actually knew what dusting was! I wish she lived by me. And your hair looks gorgeous, by the way. It's so shiny, thick, and swangin', :grin:.

growth2come

Wow, this was a good experience in truth! Your hair looks great! This has never happened to me and as I'm not planning on trying any more of the salons here in London, I will never know if it was possible!
But well done! Its good that you and your stylist have an understanding.

There is one in london I used to go to and will do when I start wearing out my own hair rather than the braids. The one I go to is in Acton Town and well worth the travel from my zone one comfort zone! I never new natural hair could feel so silky and flow with the wind. She does a great job and doesnt use all that greasy business more salons use...When she does my hair is looks and feels better than a permed look I tell you. I am just trying to grow out my hair so I can rock my own here come graduation next year...

scarcity21

yep sounds like a keeper...she actually remembered ur likes and dislikes and tried to make this experience much better than the last...thats what i call good customer service! I want her info....for just in case!

Puddles

On Cloud 9
I'm glad you had a wonderful experience. Your hair looks so healthy and silky. I love the outcome.

I have a wonderful stylist as well. Wouldn't go any place else.

NuMe2004

Your stylist sounds very cool. Such a rare thing to see with stylists--one who will listen and be up front with you.

Your hair looks like da bomb :)!

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
It is about time we hear positive feedback on good stylist without them going scissor happy crazy.

She did a good job judging by the picture and you are happy. We are happy for you:grin:

sareca

Aw man! Why are the good ones never in my area? *sigh* I'm glad you had a positive experience. Thanks for sharing. :up:

glamazon386

Congrats on finding a stylist you like! Isn't that great? And your hair turned out lovely. I'm going to PM you for her info.

nakialovesshoes

Congrats on your experience. Rarity indeed. My best stylist is back home in South Carolina.:ohwell: I've decided that if I ever go back to relaxing, I'm just going to drive there when it's touch-up/trim time & let him do it. From my experiences with stylists here, he is the only stylist I will ever fully trust with my hair.

balisi

Thanks for sharing your good stylist fortune. There are definitely some good stylists out there. Your hair looks fab!

Lavendar

Your hair looks awesome! I was thinking.."what are the odds that stylist is in my area?" Well I flipped out at Silver Spring...that's where my company is! I'm PM'ing you girl!

frankie

Your hair is gorgeous!!!

It's great to hear that you had a wonderful experience...and she's in the area. I'm *almost* natural:look:, so here comes a PM.

nappity

Looks great- I may have to go there for my April AAA/MN challenge. Anyone know any stylists in the Dallas/Fort Worth/ Plano Texas Area?

GinnyP

There are so many negative salon stories that I just wanted to share a positive one.

Im a 4a natural and I wanted to get my hair straightened for my birthday and my bootcamp progress photo. I had gone to this stylist to get my hair pressed for my graduation in May and although I was pleased with the final product there were things that I didnt like...so I was prepared this time. Here are the things that I liked during this visit:

1) While I was waiting, she told me that she was running behind and asked if I had dinner and suggested that I could go and get something. Usually, Im in the shop 5-10 minutes before she starts, this time the wait was an hour....when she walked me to the bowl she apologized profusely....usually stylist can care less about your time.

2) She told me what products she was using on my hair because she remembered that I liked to know. She also graciously agreed to use the comb that I brought to detangle my hair. Im tenderheaded and the comb she used before was just not for me :nono:

3) She added extra heat protectant in my hair when I asked. I told her that I would rather my hair be slightly heavier than to not have my naps snap back. She didnt object and just added...my hair was still very light and swingy in the end.

4) She ASKED me if I needed a trim, she said my ends werent that bad but she would trim it if I would like. I told her that I hadnt had a trim since I was there six months ago...so she decided to dust and showed me how little she was taking off. She is like the OPPOSITE of a scissor-happy stylist...who knew that existed?

5) She happily agreed to take this picture before dusting...I told her that I was a member of a hair website and was tracking my progress:

6) She transformed my 4a nappy hair to relaxer straight silkiness. My hair was bouncy and beautiful when I left. See last picture in my siggy. She even agreed to wrap my hair for me using the silk scarf I brought since it was drizzling outside.

It was such a positive salon experience to have someone who actually cares about your hair care needs and is proficient in being able to style your hair well. I am soo happy to have found her and I tipped her VERY generously.

Just wanted to add a positive experience amongst so many negatives :grin:

Shameless Plug: If anyone is looking for a stylist in the MD/DC area...pm me for her information. She is in Silver Spring...I drove all the way from VA and it was definitely worth it.
Congratulations on your positive experience--your hair looks beautiful!!

EMJazzy

Happily retired
It's refreshing to hear about positive salon experiences and also by the looks of things she did a very good job on your hair. :yep::up:

diamondlady

Congrats on your positive experience. I don't have many of these. If it's a new stylist, it's usually very good but as soon as they get to know you, they

1. have no respect for your time
2. expect you to bring them food
3. expect rides to pick up their children
4. over charge you
5. ignore you for newer customers (make you wait, even if you were there
first and had an appointment)
6. ask into your personal business
7. get mad at you for telling them what you want done to YOUR hair
8. don't want to tell you what they are using on your hair
9. expect you to wait while they shop for whatever the hookup guy has
brought into the shop to sell.
10. ask you if you want to buy these "hot" or "fake" items the guy is selling