I want THICKER! Bigger strands & more hair in 2011!

sensi sweetie

Where have y'all found/heard/read that maca root supplements make hair thicker ?
I had to take sum several months and it totally doesn't make my hair thicker, i'm even pretty sure that there are no links between maca and hair.

it's taking by people for hormonal balance, people who has libido,ovulation,fertility & also menopause issues.
you can take sum' if you also had some lack of energy. but hair?

Maca balances hormones so if you are suffering from some form of hormonal hair loss maca will help deter it :yep:

That is why I take it. My hormones have been out of wack ever since I went on/off BC.

sensi sweetie

About to do a scalp massage with 100% cold pressed, non roasted, cosmetic grade argan oil. :lick:

I'll leave it for a few hours then co wash it away.

swgpec

Things I have changed since Jan 1 2011 in lieu of thicker hurs:

- Started drinking 2 liters of organic, unsweetened, green or detox tea (yogi) :lick: a day

- Started taking Maca Root

- Started taking Fish Oil

- Started taking Flaxseed Oil

- Got serious about my exercise game again (blood flow=scalp circulation=healthy growth)

- Began massaging my scalp with my finger tips day and night. It feels really nice and relaxing :) and again, scalp circulation and blood flow

- Decreasing stress, intrusive thoughts and negative people in my life!! All these things are toxic for the entire body!!!

- Being extra gentle. NOT wearing my hair straight for a while. I don't want to anyway, it looks bigger and prettyier when its curly :yep: Doing the scrunchie method for sleeping instead of the spin pin. The spin pin is not sketch, but my techinque surly was :perplexed I can already tell my scalp is enjoying the absence of a tight bun pressed up against it every night :nono::nono:

- Keeping my scalp clean. Moisture is important and cowashing, prepooing, DCIng, etc are all beneficial, however I think too much heavy butter/oil on the scalp constantly will damage the root system. There really is such a thing as too much of a good thing (imo). Anywho, I am not trying to scare anyone out of oiling up their scalp, I do it as well, just wash it out after a while. Don't leave your scalp coated for days and days :naughty: I am about to look for a good sulfate free poo that I don't have to order online (suggestions?) that is mostly natural. I was thinking about trying TJs poo

Thats all I got right now. I just woke up and I am in a positive mode, going to have a productive and happy day :yep: I wish the same for everyone else. Happy growing ladies!!​

I use 2 from the the Aubrey Organics line. One is the Honeysuckle rose which I am currently out of. Last night I used the Rosa Mosqueta Norishing Conditional Ingredients are: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream base, Coltsfoot Extract, Horestail Extract, Organic Rosa Mosqueta, Rose Hip Seed Oil, St. .John's Wort Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Organic Aloe Vera, Amino Acid Complex (Cysteine Methionine), Organic Evening Primrose Oil, Balsam Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile and Yarrow; Organic Rosemary Oil, Organic Sage Oil, Carrot Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A,C and E.

Benefits stated on the bottle are it deep conditions, nourishes, protects, replenishes moisture and balances and fortifies hair and scalp.

BGT

Been using a mixture of coconut and castor oil on my hair and scalp! Gonna do a nice deep protein treatment tomorrow.

ladysaraii

this weekend I do my 1st protein treatment.... with aphogee two step I AM SO AFRAIIIIIIIIIID !

Don't be afraid. I've done 2 and they've gone well.

I was scared too, I think too much research can do that, lol.

For mine, I washed, put on the protein and let it harden.

When I washed it out, i used the balancing conditioner and the rinsed it out before applying my DC.

I'm sure it will go fine for you. :yep:

sensi sweetie

Checking in.

Still sleeping with the scrunchie. I think this method is a keeper for me.

I also recently started spraying my hair down morning and night, and stopped cowashing. I think cowashing is too much manipulation and moisture for my hair. My hair is moist enough. It stays wet for hours. Protein has really been my friend lately, so maybe I need to take it to the next level and do the aphoogee 2 step that I am ALSO scared to try.

Here is my spray mix BTW:
Distilled water
Pure argan oil (no cones)
Jojoba oil
Rusk sensories moist treatment- 2 pumps (protein)
Squirt of some German, organic, avacado condish :lick: (lol)
I use this to re moisturize (just enough) and also to redefine my curls.

I have also started manually stimulating my scalp more often by massaging it with the pads of my fingers whenever I feel like it.

Hmmm, what else.

I switched to a sulfate free poo- Loreal EverStrong Reconstruct. So far so good!! It cleans better then cowashing without overdrying like regular poo.

Still taking my maca, flaxseed oil and fish oil daily...

I think thats it! Think thick ladies :grin:

Bnster

Castor oil and low to no heat. We all know that our hair can be thick and bushy but once we put heat on it the volume disappear. Good luck and continue your research!

sensi sweetie

So today I noticed my nails are growing really fast and super strong! I use to have really thin, flimsy nails that were always dry and prone to peeling. It HAS to be the supplements since my diet has not changed that much. I think there is a correlation between nail and hair growth, because my nails were the first thing I noticed benefiting on biotin as well.

Just did a scalp massage with pure argan oil cut with organic jojoba :grin: will be using EverStrong Reconstruct to wash it out 5-6 hrs later.

sensi sweetie

Ook. Too soon to say anything about thickness, but my hair is definitely growing faster. I went to shave in the shower today and literally COULD NOT BELIEVE how much my leg hair had grown since this past Friday :lol: im seriously talking like 1/2 and inch. This has never really happened to me before? :look: Im assuming that is another good sign :thumbsup:

I also just started drinking Green Smoothies today. All those vitamins and antioxidants will undoubtedly help my quest for long, thick hair :grin:

Krystle~Hime

If you use a razor, that's totally normal, hair regrows after 1-2 days. but not the same with wax(and a properly done wax job)

I did a protein treatment for the 1st time of my life.
With Aphogee 2 step treatment. I let it air dried let hair becoming hard and after I rinsed and did a DC with honey + AOHSR.

As I properly put the moisture balance in, I dunno if I have to see a major change in my hair :ohwell: ?
but the most important for me is that I had provided protein to my hair.

sensi sweetie

If you use a razor, that's totally normal, hair regrows after 1-2 days. but not the same with wax(and a properly done wax job)

I did a protein treatment for the 1st time of my life.
With Aphogee 2 step treatment. I let it air dried let hair becoming hard and after I rinsed and did a DC with honey + AOHSR.

As I properly put the moisture balance in, I dunno if I have to see a major change in my hair :ohwell: ?
but the most important for me is that I had provided protein to my hair.

Lol, no. Not normal. Not for me anyways. I have always used a razor but my hairs have personally never come in this fast. I use to get away with shaving once a week.

Glad the 2 step didn't hurt anything. I know you were nervous! :yep:

SimplyBlessed

:( I had family in town for the weekend so I couldn't do my aphogee treatment...

Has anyone every clarified before doing this treatment?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Long Hair Care Forum App

Minty

hey girls. I've been oiling my scalp daily with a mixture of pomegranate oil and tamanu oils in preparation for my relaxer. I also massage my scalp with astaxanthin.

Yesterday I washed with Nexxus Vitatress shampoo and conditioned with Aloxxi Keramix Protein Reconstructor. Sprayed my liquid anti-ox leave in, etc - airdried.

Megatek has given me good growth

sensi sweetie

Slamming down another green smoothie as I type. I am pretty much positive that my thinning hair was due to poor nutrition which no amount of protein/DCing can fix. If anyone else believes that their hair is suffering from internal reasons should definetley examine their diet cuz lets face it, they make it HARD to eat right in todays world :naughty:

janda

Jamaican Black Castor Oil thickens the hair.

I keep hearing this. In your opinion, does it increase the number of hairs growing in (density) or thicken up individual hair strands? Do you use it on the scalp, actual strands or both?

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I keep hearing this. In your opinion, does it increase the number of hairs growing in (density) or thicken up individual hair strands? Do you use it on the scalp, actual strands or both?

For me, I have found it thickens my individual hair strands. Plus there has been some overall improvement with my density.

Keep in mind, this requires REGULAR usage and a lot of patience. But I have been happy with my results over the last 6-8 months.

BGT

I have some results (I think!) to share. I got a relaxer the week before last with Mizani. At first, I was unsure because Mizani leaves me under-processed, but since I'm not far from my next goal length (MBL), I figured it would be alright. Surprise surprise, I have sections of under-processed hair. :lol: I washed Saturday after my touch-up, did a protein treatment with the Giovanni pack (got it from Whole Foods). I did a rollerset with Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 and coconut oil and airdryed about 90% of the way. I've been applying coconut oil and castor oil every other day to my hair and scalp. I was putting my hair into a ponytail just now and noticed that it feels a little fuller and thicker. It could be my regimen... or it could be the humidity. :lol:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Thanks for the updates, everyone.

I have been basting my scalp, lol, with a mixture of aloe vera gel, jbco - and I like it.

New hairs are sprouting everynight - and i've been on this for about hmmm...2 weeks. I'm running out of av gel, so I used av juice with jbco, WGO and a spash of AmlaGold for good measure. My scalp is tingle-city. I'm praying that I sprout new, thick PERMANENT hairs. I simply measure an even combo of everything and go for it. I'm thinking of throwing in some emu oil and rosemary eo for good measure.

*Le SIGH*
Confessions of a Growth-Aid Guru Vol III, tbc....

janda

Hennaing my hair this evening so we'll see if it makes a difference. I used a henna, amla & indigo mix. Mixing all this stuff up is a pain and messy. After I use up what I have I think I might just go back to Lush henna.

alishadawnelle

Hennaing my hair this evening so we'll see if it makes a difference. I used a henna, amla & indigo mix. Mixing all this stuff up is a pain and messy. After I use up what I have I think I might just go back to Lush henna.

Bout to do my first henna. This may sound silly but...
do I apply it to dry hair then shampoo or shampoo first then use it?

janda

Bout to do my first henna. This may sound silly but...
do I apply it to dry hair then shampoo or shampoo first then use it?

I'm not 100% sure. According to the henna threads on here, people have different opinions about this. I was confused so I followed the instructions from hennaforhair and washed/airdried first. We'll see how to turns out.

BGT

OK, I've been using the mixture of coconut and castor oil on my hair and scalp every other day for the past few weeks. I got a touch-up on Jan 15 and already, I have so much new growth. Maybe about 1/4-1/2". Amazing!

fxdiva

OMGoodness, BGT, I'm from Baton Rouge too! What's up home girl! Some quest for thicker strands, huh? I really don't have a problem with growth, I get about an inch a month, but I've started taking Biotin and using the Alphogee 2 step and I tried the henna [Cassia] too which I loved the first time, but couldn't replicate the same results the second time. I then tried to use a demi clear color and had a set back [breakage]. I have Castor oil and coconut oil, so I'm going to try that for thickness too.

jamaicalovely

Here's a multi-pronged approach

diet: ensure that you have healthy diet, full of protein, water, water-rich veggies and other foods that are rich in the nutrients needed for hair. Also ensure your system is clean so these nutrients aren't wasted. I've read anecdotes on this forum of people noticing that their new growth was thicker and shinier after upping their protein and water intake and cutting back on carbs and processed foods.

follicle/scalp stimulation: Wake up your follicles and invigorate them. stimulate your scalp manually with massages and increase circulation through exercise.

scalp care: make sure you have good "soil" for your hair to grow in. healthy, clean scalp = healthy hair (I think most ladies on lhcf already have this on lock)

apply castor oil to the scalp and strands: it has a thickening effect on strands as they're growing in

henna: to give the appearance of thickening the strands that are already on your head - henna/lawsome deposits itself on the strands. I think cassia has the same effect, without the color.

moisture/protein balance and sealing

steaming: infusing the hair with water will help with moisture and can "plump" the strands. I think westndnbeauty reported that her hair felt thicker after doing a steam treatment.

gentle handling: keep the strands on your head by treating your hair like fine silk

protect the length of your hair, esp the ends: even if you manage to increase how thick your strands grow in, it's a constant battle to keep those cuticle layers preserved. If you take a single strand of hair from a lot of people, you'll observe that it thins out as you move away from the follicle towards the ends, the oldest part. This is also what can give people the appearance of thinning ends even if they don't have visibly split ends.

Here are some helpful threads:
Low Density Support Threads

Where have you seen improvements

Who has went from Fine to Thick hair..... I think there might a more recent thread with a similar topic, I'll try to find it

If you search keywords "thickened" "thickened strands", etc. maybe more threads will come up

great post!:yep: