I'm sorry, but I HAVE to ask...CREAMY CRACK (what-tha)

bermudabeauty

creamy crack is name that some choose to use for relaxers. No it dosen't bother me. I found the term humerous at first. I find that most people use that term when relaxers aren't for them. Relaxer work for me. If its creamy crack I'm an addict for real!

collegeDoll

im not. not much offends me, i think it kinda funny {not that crack is funny}. just the comparison. seem like some ppl ARE addicted to it the way they use it everytime they even sense newgrowth is coming :sad: like the girls in my high school

TaurusAngel

I do sometimes get annoyed with that name for relaxers. Why does it have to be called crack, a drug? I doubt i would be as bothered if people didn't use it in a bad way, like relaxers are evil or something. :ohwell:

Last edited:

MizaniLocs

Yes, it offends me depending on how you use it. I know a board that uses the term and they don't use it "in a funny way." :nono: So needless to say, yes it bothers me when used in the context that they use it.

PaperClip

Because it was my "drug" for 30 years.... I just got out of RelaxerRehab (my first LHCF screenname)....

Addicted.... since I was 7 years old...so it wasn't my choice to start on it.... and was overlapping my relaxers....melting my hair off...and wondering why it wasn't retaining length....

So yeah, creamy crack is a suitable description.... I had some fiendish ways....

audacity.

it annoys me. at first i thought it was funny. then i started to really think about it...

why CRACK? isn't that the SAME drug that "certain people" used for genocide (for lack of a better word right now) in the black community in the 80s and 90s?

i guess it is like the "n" word...take a negative term and turn it around into a term of "endearment" or as some kind of joke...:rolleyes:

i wonder who "injected" that term into our community anyway :scratchchin:

i'm just wondering...

thanks for the replies, y'all :up:

lovedone_24

It does annoy me sometimes depending on how it's used. I don't like when it is used in a condescending tone of by someone who feels that my pride/blackness depends on the natural state of my hair. In that case I just feel like saying cut the drama. At other times it can be funny.

TaurusAngel

It does annoy me sometimes depending on how it's used. I don't like when it is used in a condescending tone of by someone who feels that my pride/blackness depends on the natural state of my hair. In that case I just feel like saying cut the drama. At other times it can be funny.

:yep::yep: Very well said. I think a lot of women wouldn't mind the word so much, but the way that it is used is what bothers them.

Starian

I suppose (and that is a huge suppose) it's better than "chemical fire cream." :rolleyes:

It's annoying either way. Just more militant BS if you ask me.

Lady Esquire

I am indifferent to the term. However, the bolded in general makes me think "mmmmmmmm".

PaperClip

:yep::yep: Very well said. I think a lot of women wouldn't mind the word so much, but the way that it is used is what bothers them.

Or maybe the existence and usage of the term awakens the harsh reality check that some women don't want to face. I know what fiendish relaxer ways look like because I was there. I also recognize when I'm projecting my former habits on somebody else as well.... but then just watching and listening to what people say about their (over)dependency on relaxers parallels the ways in which people "struggle" with narcotic dependencies.

By the time folk get to LHCF, it's like a recovery zone.... and hearing "creamy crack" is like when a hit dog cries the loudest...it's hitting a sore spot. But there is hope.

audacity.

Or maybe the existence and usage of the term awakens the harsh reality check that some women don't want to face. I know what fiendish relaxer ways look like because I was there. I also recognize when I'm projecting my former habits on somebody else as well.... but then just watching and listening to what people say about their (over)dependency on relaxers parallels the ways in which people "struggle" with narcotic dependencies.

By the time folk get to LHCF, it's like a recovery zone.... and hearing "creamy crack" is like when a hit dog cries the loudest...it's hitting a sore spot. But there is hope.

but just b/c you relax, does that make you a relaxer-feind?

i don't think so. :nono: *shrugs*

sunshinelady

it annoys me. at first i thought it was funny. then i started to really think about it...

why CRACK? isn't that the SAME drug that "certain people" used for genocide (for lack of a better word right now) in the black community in the 80s and 90s?

i guess it is like the "n" word...take a negative term and turn it around into a term of "endearment" or as some kind of joke...:rolleyes:

i wonder who "injected" that term into our community anyway :scratchchin:

i'm just wondering...

thanks for the replies, y'all :up:

You know, now that you mention all that, I can definitely see the similarities.

I mean crack was created in order to stretch the product.

Last edited:

TaurusAngel

I don't know about some women, but i didn't come here for recovery. My hair has never been a disasterous state. I came to learn about better care for my relaxed tresses. I don't see why that term should apply to all. Just because you were addicted to it, doesn't mean others are. That said, i've only been relaxed for 4 years, but i've never suffered in any way from it. It is just easier for me. Why is that so hard to believe?

I don't know about some women, but for me, relaxers are easier, and thats all there is to it.

PaperClip

Sigh....:perplexed:look:

Of. course. not.:ohwell:

And that's a stretch to interpret my remarks as such.

I'll admit that when I first landed on LHCF, I had some militant tendencies. I have since "softened" that stance as I was working through my own issues. I do stand on my point that as I read/listen to some of these posts and the...how shall I say...desperation that arises when a person feels like they are at the edge of their rope and cannot function until they get "touched up" could be interepreted as "fiendish".... Again, I can say that because I've been there and I know what that looks/sounds like.

And since being on LHCF, I've seen how relaxing can (and should) be done.

sunshinelady

IMHO, It does if you relax as soon as you get the slightest new growth. It does if you feel bad about yourself when you're overdue.

If you ever said, "I need a relaxer," then you might be a fiend.

PaperClip

I don't know about some women, but i didn't come here for recovery. My hair has never been a disasterous state. I came to learn about better care for my relaxed tresses. I don't see why that term should apply to all. Just because you were addicted to it, doesn't mean others are. That said, i've only been relaxed for 4 years, but i've never suffered in any way from it. It is just easier for me. Why is that so hard to believe?

I don't know about some women, but for me, relaxers are easier, and thats all there is to it.

Congrats to you that you were able to learn some relatively healthy hair habits and that you are interested in gaining more information and knowledge toward that. I think it would be safe to say that a portion of LHCFers came here because their hair was in a "disaterous state".

Please highlight in any of my posts in this thread where I said that it was hard to believe that relaxed hair is easier to deal with. I neither said nor implied that.

And suffering is relative.

You know, now that you mention all that, that's exactly what relaxers did in the black community.

:yep: What she said.
I don't relax my hair but the first time I heard of Creamy Crack, I thought it was funny. Still do. Some of us are addicted to the stuff. Can't get enough. Gotta get those roots right. :lachen:
But at the end of the day, it is just a term. Not even close to the N word.

MizaniLocs

You know, now that you mention all that, that's exactly what relaxers did in the black community.

Really? It left thousands of children mother/fatherless not to mention placing a terrible distress on our community? Or maybe I missed the part about it silently creating physical, mental, and emotional disabilities within our children?

Boy. :rolleyes: I sure didn't learn about that in school. You learn something everyday.

Please tell me you're playing.

sunshinelady

:yep: What she said.
I don't relax my hair but the first time I heard of Creamy Crack, I thought it was funny. Still do. Some of us are addicted to the stuff. Can't get enough. Gotta get those roots right. :lachen:
But at the end of the day, it is just a term. Not even close to the N word.

If you ever got a headache because you had newgrowth, you might be addicted. I know I used to get headaches.

sunshinelady

Really? It left thousands of children mother/fatherless not to mention placing a terrible distress on our community? Or maybe I missed the part about it silently creating physical, mental, and emotional disabilities within our children?

Boy. :rolleyes: I sure didn't learn about that in school. You learn something everyday.

Please tell me you're playing.

See my edit and my response. :yep: I forget where I am sometimes, should have known better.