I'm sorry, but I HAVE to ask...CREAMY CRACK (what-tha)

TaurusAngel

Congrats to you that you were able to learn some relatively healthy hair habits and that you are interested in gaining more information and knowledge toward that. I think it would be safe to say that a portion of LHCFers came here because their hair was in a "disaterous state".

Please highlight in any of my posts in this thread where I said that it was hard to believe that relaxed hair is easier to deal with. I neither said nor implied that.

And suffering is relative.

I wasn't saying you did. I was making the point that many women relax because its easier and nothing more. Not all this deep thought that people keep putting into it. I do see where you're coming from though.

tocktick

i really don't think the term is seriously meant to liken women who relax to actual crack users. it's just a silly term. however, with a term such as that, you choose how much power you want to give to it, imo. you can be up in arms and sensitive about it or you can let it roll off your back.

when i first heard it as a transistioner, i was like, :huh:. but now i don't care and i see many relaxed heads don't seem to either. the term didn't originate on this board, imo. on the board i think it came from, when CC is used there it's usually used to describe that members own battle with relaxers and not as a way to down those who choose to relax. jmho.

audacity.

Sigh....:perplexed:look:

Of. course. not.:ohwell:

And that's a stretch to interpret my remarks as such.

I'll admit that when I first landed on LHCF, I had some militant tendencies. I have since "softened" that stance as I was working through my own issues. I do stand on my point that as I read/listen to some of these posts and the...how shall I say...desperation that arises when a person feels like they are at the edge of their rope and cannot function until they get "touched up" could be interepreted as "fiendish".... Again, I can say that because I've been there and I know what that looks/sounds like.

And since being on LHCF, I've seen how relaxing can (and should) be done.

i was simply asking a question/clarification. i've not interpreted your remarks as anything. just asking that's all...:)

i do understand your point of some people demonstrating fiendish ways...

PaperClip

i was simply asking a question/clarification. i've not interpreted your remarks as anything. just asking that's all...:)

i do understand your point of some people demonstrating fiendish ways...

Please forgive me if my tone came off a bit abrasive than I intended. I have come a LONG WAY about the "creamy crack" convo.... A LONG WAY....:grin:

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
creamy crack
creamy crack
creamy crack
creamy crack
creamy crack
creamy crack

there I said it........

much ado about nothing.......I don't find it offensive.... to me it's a joke..... comparing it to the "N" word is quite a stretch IMO

MonPetite

I dislike its source. Creamy crack implies that those who use is have no self control and are controlled by the social pressures and accolades that come with using it to change their hair texture.

I'm currently natural. Did the BC almost a year ago now.

I WAS the type who though afro hair was disgusting. Not any longer having learned to love my own texture.

Now I want what makes me the happiest -which is what shows my length as I've always had long hair and can't wait for this TWA to be gone.

There are women who simply use relaxers as a tool. If I choose to relax on my nappiversary, then I'll be one of them.

I will never use the word creamy crack because I'm not addicted to them or lack the will power to not use them.

Otherwise I wouldn't have BCed 14" + of silky relaxed hair to get to know my texture.

Saying "It's only got the power you give it" means you're free to say what you like and I'VE got the carry the psychological burden of "shaking it off" instead of someone else being mature and polite enough to not say it in the first place.

Am I saying those who use it are immature and impolite -no. Have SOME used it in that vein? Possibly, probably.

I'm not going to pretend that it's "just words" and other people "are just being sensitive". Even when the word doesn't apply to me. It's not fair for relaxed ladies to have to "shake off" or not "give power to" the phrase "creamy crack" but words used to describe natural hair like "brillo-pad" aren't forum appropriate by and large (for good reason).

Something tells me that if someone, even a natural like myself, started a thread with "Brillo-pads Only" there would be some negative backlash. That OP could say "It's just words, people! Don't be so sensitive!" but clearly more is involved in the thought process of those offended and they shouldn't have their opinion belittled and reduced to oversensitivty.

It's a subtle matter of decorum and when large groups of people are involved that is often the first thing to go.

That said, I'm not admonishing anyone specifically. I just wanted to put out a point of view other than those that have been (politely I might add) articulated.

Last edited:

trinidarkie1

Oh wow. Who'da thought all of this.

Threads like this make me afraid to make jokes some times.
I would have just thought the originator was trying to alliterate, not cause a disturbance or make it seem like an addictive thing.

There I was thinking it was funny. Ah well.

Sweet_Ambrosia

It doesn’t annoy me…when I was a relaxed head it didn’t annoy me either….the term is funny kinda to me I don’t take it that seriously.

ajacks

it annoys me. at first i thought it was funny. then i started to really think about it...

why CRACK? isn't that the SAME drug that "certain people" used for genocide (for lack of a better word right now) in the black community in the 80s and 90s?

i guess it is like the "n" word...take a negative term and turn it around into a term of "endearment" or as some kind of joke...:rolleyes:

i wonder who "injected" that term into our community anyway :scratchchin:

i'm just wondering...

thanks for the replies, y'all :up:

I always thought it was humorous, but this is another way of looking at. I guess it does have a negative connotation. Hmmmmm :scratchch

Rei

Oh wow. Who'da thought all of this.

Threads like this make me afraid to make jokes some times.
I would have just thought the originator was trying to alliterate, not cause a disturbance or make it seem like an addictive thing.

There I was thinking it was funny. Ah well.

thats where you went wrong. clearly, jokes are not welcome here. Relaxers are srs bizness:look:

charmtreese

I dislike its source. Creamy crack implies that those who use is have no self control and are controlled by the social pressures and accolades that come with using it to change their hair texture.

I'm currently natural. Did the BC almost a year ago now.

I WAS the type who though afro hair was disgusting. Not any longer having learned to love my own texture.

Now I want what makes me the happiest -which is what shows my length as I've always had long hair and can't wait for this TWA to be gone.

There are women who simply use relaxers as a tool. If I choose to relax on my nappiversary, then I'll be one of them.

I will never use the word creamy crack because I'm not addicted to them or lack the will power to not use them.

Otherwise I wouldn't have BCed 14" + of silky relaxed hair to get to know my texture.

Saying "It's only got the power you give it" means you're free to say what you like and I'VE got the carry the psychological burden of "shaking it off" instead of someone else being mature and polite enough to not say it in the first place.

Am I saying those who use it are immature and impolite -no. Have SOME used it in that vein? Possibly, probably.

I'm not going to pretend that it's "just words" and other people "are just being sensitive". Even when the word doesn't apply to me. It's not fair for relaxed ladies to have to "shake off" or not "give power to" the phrase "creamy crack" but words used to describe natural hair like "brillo-pad" aren't forum appropriate by and large (for good reason).

Something tells me that if someone, even a natural like myself, started a thread with "Brillo-pads Only" there would be some negative backlash. That OP could say "It's just words, people! Don't be so sensitive!" but clearly more is involved in the thought process of those offended and they shouldn't have their opinion belittled and reduced to oversensitivty.

It's a subtle matter of decorum and when large groups of people are involved that is often the first thing to go.

That said, I'm not admonishing anyone specifically. I just wanted to put out a point of view other than those that have been (politely I might add) articulated.

AMEN, you typed everything I was feeling!!!!:yep::yep::yep:

Tee

It does annoy me sometimes depending on how it's used. I don't like when it is used in a condescending tone of by someone who feels that my pride/blackness depends on the natural state of my hair. In that case I just feel like saying cut the drama. At other times it can be funny.
It basically does not bother me. People are going to say what they wanna say. But I agree with the bold.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
some of you really special...:rolleyes:

there are real issues to be dealt with in this country and the world rather than getting worked up over CREAMY CRACK

golly.....some things are just not meant to be taken seriously and this is one of them.

JustKiya

I suppose (and that is a huge suppose) it's better than "chemical fire cream." :rolleyes:

It's annoying either way. Just more militant BS if you ask me.

:lachen:Better, but not all that much better.

I want to just :yep: and :bighug: you, FoxyScholar, as I could feel what you were saying.

It bothers me - bothers me deeply, in fact, when people use it to refer to someone else's relationship & reasoning for relaxing their hair. Considering all that crack represents in the black community, as well as how wide-spread relaxing is - it makes me turn up my face to hear it used in regard to others.

:perplexed

When people use it to refer to their own relationship with relaxing, on the other hand, then I'm okay with it, because who am I to tell someone how they do or do not feel about their hair, and the passion/obsessions/reasonings/struggles they have and have had?

So, the term, itself, is not offensive. The manner in which I see it used, a lot of the time, is. Offensive and insulting. And I wouldn't touch a relaxer with a 12 ft pole.

audacity.

some of you really special...:rolleyes:

there are real issues to be dealt with in this country and the world rather than getting worked up over CREAMY CRACK

golly.....some things are just not meant to be taken seriously and this is one of them.

i don't see anyone getting worked up over the term. when you break it down, to me, it is really just the usage of the word CRACK that is being taken seriously.

it isn't a joke. it isn't a nice thing to say. if it doesn't bother you, that is cool, but i can't imagine why it would be so hard to understand why some people would have an issue with the usage of creamy crack.

Irresistible

I have never used the term and never felt overly offended over it either. I just took it to mean that some ladies felt it was hard to shake and they went back to it like crack addicts would go back to crack. Being natural is not always easy, I think somewhere along the line someone might have felt if they called it something negative it would help them and others to see it as such in their fight to stay natural. I see it as an extremist view, and as we know already there are many naturals that can be extremists, I think when they do that , the truth is they arent really worried about whats going on with your hair' the extremes are coming from their own fear that they might go back , and it gets projected unto others. just my 2cents

MAMATO

It bothers me all the way. I really don't appreciate when people use it, not to the point where I'd take it personally, but I find it quite impolite to use such reference for relaxers and think it's all fun. C'mon, crack is not what people want to be associated with, ... it's not like one would use ICE CREAM to refer to relaxers. Yummy...:grin:THAT would be funny:yep:. Ice creams are bad for the health in general but they are not leathal, but crack is. Bottomline, the comparison to crack is too funest, so it's no joke for me.:nono:

Last edited:

tocktick

i didn't say anybody can say absolutely everything and the person on the receiving end can shake it off and get over it. hell, don't get over anything. i just don't care that much. yeah, when someone says something horrible they are responsible for the crap they are spewing and in an ideal world they'd shut up. but the "victim" can be in control of how deeply they allow that person words to affect them. some words are harder to "shake off" than others but i don't think creamy crack is even up there with the words, "n*igger", "bytch", "whore" etc.

the term creamy crack was obviously started by some random chick on the internet a little while ago. excuse me if i feel that some people shouldn't give the person who made the term, and those who use it, so much power that they should be very upset when it is used. while others get mad for thinking it's unfair for someone to align them relaxing to someone with a crack addition, i just think it's real dumb to even try and make the association. hence, why i think the term is silly and view it as powerless. i do not use the term myself.

Last edited:

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
i don't see anyone getting worked up over the term. when you break it down, to me, it is really just the usage of the word CRACK that is being taken seriously.

it isn't a joke. it isn't a nice thing to say. if it doesn't bother you, that is cool, but i can't imagine why it would be so hard to understand why some people would have an issue with the usage of creamy crack.
it's just an anology

crack in the sense is used to say that people who relax have to get a retouch ever so often. It's not to say that relaxers are lethal like crack.

sometimes people read more into something than is necessary. I see some members typing a whole essay on it......jeez.... c'mon

MizaniLocs

it's just an anology

crack in the sense is used to say that people who relax have to get a retouch ever so often. It's not to say that relaxers are lethal like crack.

sometimes people read more into something than is necessary. I see some members typing a whole essay on it......jeez.... c'mon

If "it's not that serious" why not respect a person's right to be uncomfortable with the word? You're making it more of a big deal than the people who are "too serious" by making this an issue of debate. They (we) don't like it, and there's nothing you can do about it. :yep: Making remarks on how it's not that serious isn't going to change the fact either.

Take your own advice and let go and let live.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
If "it's not that serious" why not respect a person's right to be uncomfortable with the word? You're making it more of a big deal than the people who are "too serious" by making this an issue of debate. They (we) don't like it, and there's nothing you can do about it. :yep: Making remarks on how it's not that serious isn't going to change the fact either.

Take your own advice and let go and let live.

52 posts....... I have 3 short ones....this one makes 4, but I'm making a big deal
whatever dude

everybody has the right to feel how they want about whatever....but it does irk me when people make issue over trivialities.

I have nothing more to say on this non issue

Last edited:

ladylibra

i can see how some would take offense to the term. i always saw it as a joke - you have to go back for hit every now and then. :rolleyes:

like the term "permie" i used on another site for a while because everyone on that site quickly understood it to mean "woman with relaxed hair." it was shorthand to me. but i did notice that more often than not, it was used as a derogatory term... kinda like some guys say, "these FEMALES around here get on my nerves." it's the WAY it was said that bothered me. so i stopped using the term.

"creamy crack" wouldn't have bothered me when i was relaxed. it doesn't bother me now either... actually, i refer to V05 as my "creamy crack" and i find it highly appropriate... i get a hit almost every day and God forbid i even think i might be running low :lol:

BillsBackerz67

It doesn't bother me I just correlated it with folks being addicted to relaxing their hair as soon as they see a crinkle of new growth. I dont see anything wrong with it but if others are sensitive then so be it.

thats where you went wrong. clearly, jokes are not welcome here. Relaxers are srs bizness:look:

How true :lachen:, it's serious bizness round here :yep:
Just like natural heads are serious bizness on other sites.
People are gonna be sensitive about stuff no matter what is said :perplexed
Not my problem though. It is what it is.

Forever in Bloom

i didn't say anybody can say absolutely everything and the person on the receiving end can shake it off and get over it. hell, don't get over anything. i just don't care that much. yeah, when someone says something horrible they are responsible for the crap they are spewing and in an ideal world they'd shut up. but the "victim" can be in control of how deeply they allow that person words to affect them. some words are harder to "shake off" than others but i don't think creamy crack is even up there with the words, "n*igger", "bytch", "whore" etc.

the term creamy crack was obviously started by some random chick on the internet a little while ago. excuse me if i feel that some people shouldn't give the person who made the term, and those who use it, so much power that they should be very upset when it is used. while others get mad for thinking it's unfair for someone to align them relaxing to someone with a crack addition, i just think it's real dumb to even try and make the association. hence, why i think the term is silly and view it as powerless. i do not use the term myself.

I agree with the bolded. I hesitate to even make a comment in the threads that seem to take on a debate-like air because I enjoy conversations that revolve around hair care tips only. This conversation, however, struck a chord.

I can understand how this term can be like nails on a chalkboard, but think about it, it would be way worse if someone attached an equally offensive word at the end of it. Now that I would find offensive! I've never used this word myself, but I have snickered over it - once, and then it became just that - a word that didn't even deserve my attention because it seemed so minute. Heck, even some naturals find it offensive if they hear another natural say "nappy". :perplexed

There's always going to be words like this, and once they're released, they have a mind of their own. But I get how you ladies feel. I don't see how any relaxed head on this board could have that word attached to them though, considering a lot of you stretch for weeks at a time. I never did that when I was relaxed. It was like clockwork for me- every 6 weeks. So I guess I was a victim of the "creamy crack " addiction, and I would be a hypocrite if I tried to fling that word around now.

Like one of my co-workers said when someone flung a nasty word her way,"I don't care. People say stuff like that to me all the time. I don't allow it to get to me because I know in the end they will have to answer for it (hopefully, in this case it shouldn't be that serious). They don't even deserve my time or energy. I've got more important things in my life to deal with than subscribing to negativity!"

Let's all make an effort to squash the negative words before one day we log on here and LHCF puts up a sign saying, "Gone Fishing!" :lachen:

glamazon386

I do sometimes get annoyed with that name for relaxers. Why does it have to be called crack, a drug? I doubt i would be as bothered if people didn't use it in a bad way, like relaxers are evil or something. :ohwell:

Some people actually believe that relaxers are evil. :look: I've never really liked the term. You see it more over at the natural hair board.