I'm sorry, but I HAVE to ask...CREAMY CRACK (what-tha)

Some people use it offensively. So therefore Im sure some people take offense to its use. As if crack is something good to be compared to. :rolleyes: If you dont have a relaxer then dont go around calling it creamy crack. Especially if youre a nappy nazi..... <<<<<< Irony and sarcasm at its finest :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Forever in Bloom

If "it's not that serious" why not respect a person's right to be uncomfortable with the word? You're making it more of a big deal than the people who are "too serious" by making this an issue of debate. They (we) don't like it, and there's nothing you can do about it. :yep: Making remarks on how it's not that serious isn't going to change the fact either.

Take your own advice and let go and let live.

Boy, this is reminiscent of what I said to an atheist the other day: "Just because you don't believe in something, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist". Okay, I'm getting off of my soapbox now! :rolleyes:

TaurusAngel

Some people actually believe that relaxers are evil. :look: I've never really liked the term. You see it more over at the natural hair board.

Bingo. Which is silly to me. I don't see why people put all the problem on the relaxer. Maybe they didn't apply it right or take care of their hair when they had it. Like i said, it isn't that deep to me. Relaxers are easier for me, since i'm in school and i really don't have time to devote to being a natural. I'm happy for those who do, but you can lose hair being natural and you can lose hair being relaxed if its not healthy.

It can be taken too serious from either side. You say its just a word, ease up, okay, to those who use it negatively, its just a word, ease up. ;)

Bingo. Which is silly to me. I don't see why people put all the problem on the relaxer. Maybe they didn't apply it right or take care of their hair when they had it. Like i said, it isn't that deep to me. Relaxers are easier for me, since i'm in school and i really don't have time to devote to being a natural. I'm happy for those who do, but you can lose hair being natural and you can lose hair being relaxed if its not healthy.

It can be taken too serious from either side. You say its just a word, ease up, okay, to those who use it negatively, its just a word, ease up. ;)

Good point (the bolded). :yep:

Neith

Personally I don't care one way or the other.

Sometimes it DOES seem like people are being slightly offensive when they use the word.

If someone really feels that they are somehow superior to other people because they don't relax their hair... I don't really give a derned about anything they say. They have issues :lol: Choice of hairstyle doesn't make one a better or more intelligent person.

So... no, it doesn't affect me at all.

lovedone_24

Exactly. Sometimes it is used as just another way to divide, as if class/education/sexual orientation were not enough from the larger society as a whole. There are a lot of assumptions/misconceptions made about people who wear their hair natural too, there is no need for this high horse.

Irresistible

Some people use it offensively. So therefore Im sure some people take offense to its use. As if crack is something good to be compared to. :rolleyes: If you dont have a relaxer then dont go around calling it creamy crack. Especially if youre a nappy nazi..... <<<<<< Irony and sarcasm at its finest :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

good point, it can go both ways, those words being used might define that person as such!

Christa438

It doesn't really annoy me but I am aware that it bothers others. But personally I dont care about it. I may have even ...used the term once or twice, but that was because I felt that it was "creamy crack" to me because I have always wanted to go natural but been unsuccessful and it just seems so easy to always return to a relaxer. Even now when Im happily transitioning, I still find myself looking at other beautiful heads and really having to fight that urge to go buy some....To each his own, that's the way it is and that's the way it should be. I just commented in a thread about how I personally dont like the word "nappy" and it will always have a negatve meaning to me, but yet I dont really have a problem with the use of "creamy crack" lol. Some people have no problem with the word "nappy" and actually embrace it-- let them. It's not a bad thing to them, and I can actually kinda "grasp" that, even if I dont agree with it. They cant make me embrace it just like I cant make them unembrace it. When it comes to "creamy crack" I can relate to and understand the term because TO ME it is addictive in a way, not a serious therapy kinda way though...heck lately conditioner is starting to become my "creamy crack" I need a fix every day and dont feel good/right unless I co-wash or something lol. I guess I feel that if it is creamy crack to me then that's a personal problem...that applies to me...and not to... Some people bothered by using the term texlax, some people bothered by people who want to know or who display their hair type-- something is always gonna get on someone else's nerves. you control nobody but you. If I seriously have a problem with a term, the best I can do is not promote it myself-- wont use it -- I have that right.

MAMATO

Sad, isn't it??? I'd never use a word on board or in RL that would hurt one single person's feelings, from the moment I am aware of that. I mean, I mostly speak French, and still learning English. The word ''Nappy'' was not offensive to me till I found out on board that some people would take it very personal. For me, it was just another word in the dictionnary and the translation in French, it is not offensive at all. Lost in translation:lachen:.Well, I got rid of it very quickly, why would I go all around talking like a fool and offending some people's feelings and keep saying dont take it personally, it's just a joke. One single hurt person, it all that it takes ... It's all about being polite and give people the respect we all desserve.

MonPetite

i didn't say anybody can say absolutely everything and the person on the receiving end can shake it off and get over it. hell, don't get over anything. i just don't care that much. yeah, when someone says something horrible they are responsible for the crap they are spewing and in an ideal world they'd shut up. but the "victim" can be in control of how deeply they allow that person words to affect them. some words are harder to "shake off" than others but i don't think creamy crack is even up there with the words, "n*igger", "bytch", "whore" etc.
the term creamy crack was obviously started by some random chick on the internet a little while ago. excuse me if i feel that some people shouldn't give the person who made the term, and those who use it, so much power that they should be very upset when it is used. while others get mad for thinking it's unfair for someone to align them relaxing to someone with a crack addition, i just think it's real dumb to even try and make the association. hence, why i think the term is silly and view it as powerless. i do not use the term myself.

Yes, creamy crack is no where near those "other words" in the line up of words to be "Shaken off". I'd agree the association with crack is dumb also.

I hope you didn't think I was "calling you out" with my post. This reply could seem as if you rebutting a direct attack of some kind from me personally. Hopefully, that's not the case. I was speaking in generalities and had noticed the "Shake it off" comment popped up more than once.

MA2010

The term doesn't bother me and I am a relaxed head, however, I can understand the issue surrounding the term!

PassionFruit

I think some of yall be smoking REAL CRACK ROCKS with these theories ya come up with....

I mean really...

yall have turned a haircare product into a freakin pseudo-philosphical, anti-disestablishment, negro-psychosis, Afro pick with the fist, free Mumia, Jesus-is-on-the-main-line-tell-em-what-ya-want dissertation

genesis132

It does annoy me sometimes depending on how it's used. I don't like when it is used in a condescending tone of by someone who feels that my pride/blackness depends on the natural state of my hair. In that case I just feel like saying cut the drama. At other times it can be funny.

Totally Agree!! That's my biggest pet peeve is to see someone natural acting "brand new"....It's like "Come On People, just because your natural don't make you no better than someone with a relaxer!!!" Wasn't you a relaxed head like most of your life....

that just irks me...
digressing....

To answer your question....No, the term does not bother me. I have too many other things in life to worry about than that term.

Mortons

I think some of yall be smoking REAL CRACK ROCKS with these theories ya come up with....

I mean really...

yall have turned a haircare product into a freakin pseudo-philosphical, anti-disestablishment, negro-psychosis, Afro pick with the fist, free Mumia, Jesus-is-on-the-main-line-tell-em-what-ya-want dissertation

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

TooCute

Yes, it offends me depending on how you use it. I know a board that uses the term and they don't use it "in a funny way." :nono: So needless to say, yes it bothers me when used in the context that they use it.

Sounds like another word, let me help you guys. It starst with an "N":look::blush:

LovinLocks

I do sometimes get annoyed with that name for relaxers. Why does it have to be called crack, a drug? I doubt i would be as bothered if people didn't use it in a bad way, like relaxers are evil or something. :ohwell:

Hi fiya'slovechild and the rest of the thread here.

My hand is flying up, guilty as charged! :rolleyes:. It's not the relaxers that most folk are referring to as evil, but it's the way in which some conduct themselves when it is time for a touch-up. They actually fiend for the product like a crack addict to drugs. Now, while perhaps many do not act this way, many do; thus the terminology.

I first heard the word at a Yahoo dreadlock discussion board that I created called, Lovinlocks. Some of the membren were transitioning, or looking to transition, or wanted to know about the possibility of transitioning from chemikilly (another term. I learned there) treated hair. Many folks themselves used the term to describe their own feelings (at one time or another). We used the term freely there. I can see how at a site like this some may find it offensive. There are also some like the lady above who admits, yup, I need/want my fix and takes it in stride.

If YOU think I should not say it, I will try not to. :kiss:

Oh, by the way, I see some beautiful heads full of chemikills up in here. Obviously the ladies here know how to take care of a permed/relaxed head. Kudos to them.

Hugzz,

LL

Last edited:

PaperClip

Hi fiya'slovechild and the rest of the thread here.

My hand is flying up, guilty as charged! :rolleyes:. It's not the relaxers that most folk are referring to as evil, but it's the way in which some conduct themselves when it is time for a touch-up. They actually fiend for the product like a crack addict to drugs. Now, while perhaps many do not act this way, many do; thus the terminology.

I first heard the word at a Yahoo dreadlock discussion board that I created called, Lovinlocks. Some of the membren were transitioning, or looking to transition, or wanted to know about the possibility of transitioning from chemikilly treated hair. Many folks themselves used the term to describe their own feelings (at one time or another). We used the term freely there. I can see how at at site like this some may find it offensive on the other hand. There are also some like the lady above who admits, yup, I need/want my fix and takes it in stride.

If YOU think I should not say it, I will try not to. :kiss:

Hugzz,

LL

Excellent and well articulated observation....:yep:

Maynard

This thread is funny. :lachen:

I dont find it offensive, actually I find it quite amusing.

I also dont have a relaxer, but when I first came across the term, I was relaxed and I thought it was funny then.

Oh well. ::shrugs::

Folks will always find SOMETHING to be offended about... :rolleyes:

aloof one

A lot of terms sound silly to me, but I just ignore them.
ETA: I went off on a tangent :perplexed:
BUT If people want to say that then thats what they want to say...

Last edited:

HoneyDew

I am not offended by it, but using the term is not my style.

Just like people that use the term coochie cream when talking about MN products. I wuld never say anything like that.

It is all distasteful, in my opinion, and not my style.

But, I am not offended by it. People will always say things that I would never say. I just ignore it and keep moving.

caribeandiva

Human being
... and was overlapping my relaxers....melting my hair off...and wondering why it wasn't retaining length....

So yeah, creamy crack is a suitable description.... I had some fiendish ways....
In my opinion, MY opinion, looks to me like you didn't know how to take care of relaxed hair so you're blaming it on the relaxer. If you'd gone natural back then without learning proper haircare your hair wouldn't have been that much better off.

as for the term creamy crack i don't like it and don't use it. I guess it depends on how it's used. I asked my mom to give me my first relaxer at 13 because she was strictly against it. Haircare has taught me to love my natural texture as well as my relaxed hair. My hair is MINE and i'll be damned if someone tries to impose their views on me about how i should wear it.