I'm sorry, but I HAVE to ask...CREAMY CRACK (what-tha)

audacity.

it's just an anology

crack in the sense is used to say that people who relax have to get a retouch ever so often. It's not to say that relaxers are lethal like crack.

sometimes people read more into something than is necessary. I see some members typing a whole essay on it......jeez.... c'mon

it is not a POSITIVE analogy. i don't like it and it annoys me (and clearly a lot of other people, too). it doesn't bother you and like i said that is cool.

no one is trying to convice you to come to the other side. if people feel so strongly about it to type "a whole essay on it" what difference does it make?

PaperClip

In my opinion, MY opinion, looks to me like you didn't know how to take care of relaxed hair so you're blaming it on the relaxer. If you'd gone natural back then without learning proper haircare your hair wouldn't have been that much better off.

as for the term creamy crack i don't like it and don't use it. I guess it depends on how it's used. I asked my mom to give me my first relaxer at 13 because she was strictly against it. Haircare has taught me to love my natural texture as well as my relaxed hair. My hair is MINE and i'll be damned if someone tries to impose their views on me about how i should wear it.

Allow me to ACCURATELY INFORM YOUR OPINION with some first-hand knowledge:

My first relaxer was at SEVEN years old. So how could I know how to take care of relaxed hair? My mom did it and she is a(n old school) hairdresser. I NEVER had any major issues with my hair. My hair never fell out due to relaxing. My hair follicles survived THREE DECADES of chemical straightening. Since being on this board two years, the ONLY MAJOR thing I see that was a poor habit was that I overlapped my touch-ups. And for a minute being on this board, I thought "hey, maybe I should relax again.... I have a better sense on how to take care of my hair."

Well, I had to remind myself about why I wanted to transition out of relaxing: I did not want to be chemically dependent for life.... that's where I was headed. I wanted to be more responsible with what I put on my body as well as in my body. And yes, I did feel like a slave/victim to society's standards of beauty.

So today, two years later, I'm better informed about hair care in general and I'm stronger about MY OWN beauty and self-esteem (as Katt Williams jokingly but realistically talks about).

And for the record, you will not find ANY POST from me on this board where I BLAMED a relaxer for any hair problems I had (yes, past tense). I have said in a recent thread about makeup that relaxers, just like fire, water, air, earth, etc., can be used for good and for evil, depending on who's using it. When relaxing drives a person to desperation :pullhair:about getting touched-up, there's something very wrong and evil about it... fiendish....

I came back o say that on THIS board I find the term quite useless. I dont see any people on this board "feinin" for relaxers. Many of them stretch their relaxers past the salon recommended 6-8 weeks. So with that said, why refer to this as "creamy crack" users or addicts? Especially if it annoys them... If people went on and on calling every natural a nappy head Im sure some people would be offended as well so why continue to use terms that offend people? Oh dang I forgot where I was... :lachen:Commence offensive rhetoric....

TaurusAngel

In my opinion, MY opinion, looks to me like you didn't know how to take care of relaxed hair so you're blaming it on the relaxer. If you'd gone natural back then without learning proper haircare your hair wouldn't have been that much better off.

as for the term creamy crack i don't like it and don't use it. I guess it depends on how it's used. I asked my mom to give me my first relaxer at 13 because she was strictly against it. Haircare has taught me to love my natural texture as well as my relaxed hair. My hair is MINE and i'll be damned if someone tries to impose their views on me about how i should wear it.

Totally agree. Don't blame the relaxer for your misuse of it. Some, if not most of us know what we're doing and the result is healthy growing hair.
I came back o say that on THIS board I find the term quite useless. I dont see any people on this board "feinin" for relaxers. Many of them stretch their relaxers past the salon recommended 6-8 weeks. So with that said, why refer to this as "creamy crack" users or addicts? Especially if it annoys them... If people went on and on calling every natural a nappy head Im sure some people would be offended as well so why continue to use terms that offend people? Oh dang I forgot where I was... :lachen:Commence offensive rhetoric....

Thank you. Very few women on here relax less than 6 weeks. Its not a feinin for anything, but when you relax, you continue using them. What do they expect, for u to get it once, then stop or else you're addicted because u keep getting them? That doesn't make sense to me.

PinkPeony

it is not a POSITIVE analogy. i don't like it and it annoys me (and clearly a lot of other people, too). it doesn't bother you and like i said that is cool.

no one is trying to convice you to come to the other side. if people feel so strongly about it to type "a whole essay on it" what difference does it make?
agreed!

:yep:
women love to find reasons why we are better then other women,we use weight,relaxers,married vs. single or whatever we can to seperate us from *those* other women and look down on them
relaxed vs. natural is just one of many things
if you made bad experiences w/relaxers fine,talk about your experiences in a way that doesn't offend everybody else
same goes for hbcu's,black men,marriage,oow children*insert whatever*:spinning:

eta:
that's why it doesn't matter if the women here have longer hair then 99% of relaxed heads,stretch their relaxers to up to 1x a yr in some cases and don't display any other negative self-hating tendencies associated w/relaxers.
this discussion has very little to do with the actual reality of relaxed heads on lhcf

Last edited:

PerplexingComplex

ITA with the bolded...on this board it really is useless; i thought it was for people who get a touch-up at the first sign of new growth and feel as though they NEED to have a relaxer. I don't have a problem with the, but I don't use it because it sounds like something a child could've made up.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

It's one of those things that it does bother me but it doesn't. I'm not addicted to relaxing so the term doesn't refer to me. But I do have a pet peeve with folks calling relaxers a perm, for whatever reason it annoys me. LOL

PassionFruit

This thread is funny. :lachen:

Folks will always find SOMETHING to be offended about... :rolleyes:

yep and as evidenced by things I see at times, folks actually SEEK things to be offended by

I may start to use the term hairitalin instead of relaxer... cuz them beady beads in my kitchen dont know how to behave & sit still after 10 weeks into my stretch...Imma slap some hairitalin on em and make em relaxed & calm

( puts on Kevlar flame retardant suit)

nicey

yep and as evidenced by things I see at times, folks actually SEEK things to be offended by

I may start to use the term hairitalin instead of relaxer... cuz them beady beads in my kitchen dont know how to behave & sit still after 10 weeks into my stretch...Imma slap some hairitalin on em and make em relaxed & calm

( puts on Kevlar flame retardant suit)

:grin::lachen:

I think the term has a negative connatation.

It's a condescending term that SOME naturals use to refer to relaxers or relaxed heads.

So silly, every woman has the right to wear her hair how she chooses, and boards like lhcf are here to help women take care of their hair in any state.

I'm a natural and I admire healthy hair relaxed or natural.

BostonMaria

Its too bad this almost feels like a "us vs them" kinda thread.

I admit I'm guilty of calling it that. I've never looked down upon anyone with relaxed hair, hey that was me for 26 yrs! My reason for calling it that was because I personally felt like a slave to it. I had long pretty relaxed hair, but it wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I had my first relaxer at the age of 10 and it just never felt like it was MY decision. It took me SEVEN long years to finally transition. Why? My personal chemical dependency. Do I wish everyone had natural hair? Maybe. Its not that serious to me really. I sometimes feel like we black women (whether AA or from another country) are given relaxers and hiding our hair. It took me months to look at myself in the mirror and accept the nappy girl looking back LOL would I ever try to convince you to go natural? No. But if you asked me how to transition I'd tell ya.

Just for the record, some natural sites won't even LET YOU type the word relaxer LOL to me that's a bit extreme. I am originally from NC.com and its about accepting your hair, not bashing others for putting relaxers in their hair.

That's just my 2 cents, hope nobody takes offense. I guess its one of those things where you would need to walk in someone else's shoes to see their opinion (goes both ways).

Last edited:

RubyWoo

There seems to be an influx of the usage of this term around here.

Does this term annoy you?
Why/why not?

No, it doesn't annoy me. It's just another word used to refer to a relaxer. I understand why the term is used and I know some people may have questionable intentions when they use that term. However, imo it's a reflection of their self and their experience with relaxer/the relaxing experience and I in no way would take it personal.

eunique

Though I'm no longer relaxed I find the term offensive and don't frequent a board that uses that term and a few others in a derogatory way because of it.

NewYorkgyrl

The relaxed heads that I know that hate this term only have a problem with it when a natural head says it. But if another relaxed head says it they don't find it insulting. I guess coming from a natural is more threatening to them.

Kind of like using the the word N***** When black people say it to each other it no one gets all up in arms. But if a white person says it to a black person the black person takes it as an insult or "fighting words".

Last edited:

NewYorkgyrl

but just b/c you relax, does that make you a relaxer-feind?

i don't think so. :nono: *shrugs*

For most people OUTSIDE of LHCF....yeah there are a lot of people out there that act like relaxer feinds. Here at LHCF we learn to stretch our relaxers and to work WITH the new growth during the stretch period, not run a way to put on the relaxer as soon as new hairs start popping out our head.

TaurusAngel

Its too bad this almost feels like a "us vs them" kinda thread.

I admit I'm guilty of calling it that. I've never looked down upon anyone with relaxed hair, hey that was me for 26 yrs! My reason for calling it that was because I personally felt like a slave to it. I had long pretty relaxed hair, but it wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I had my first relaxer at the age of 10 and it just never felt like it was MY decision. It took me SEVEN long years to finally transition. Why? My personal chemical dependency. Do I wish everyone had natural hair? Maybe. Its not that serious to me really. I sometimes feel like we black women (whether AA or from another country) are given relaxers and hiding our hair. It took me months to look at myself in the mirror and accept the nappy girl looking back LOL would I ever try to convince you to go natural? No. But if you asked me how to transition I'd tell ya.

Just for the record, some natural sites won't even LET YOU type the word relaxer LOL to me that's a bit extreme. I am originally from NC.com and its about accepting your hair, not bashing others for putting relaxers in their hair.

That's just my 2 cents, hope nobody takes offense. I guess its one of those things where you would need to walk in someone else's shoes to see their opinion (goes both ways).

Great post!!!!!

I think thats all those who relaxed are saying. Just because THAT person had a bad experience or was addicted, doesn't mean we all are, so why group all relaxed ladies together and saying they use the creamy crack? It may have been that to u, so use it only for you and not for us. As for women outside of here, why should we be called something because of what they do? I'm not denying that women can be dependent on a relaxer, but I chalk that up to them not being educated on their hair, just like most of us were before we came here. ;)

TIA.

how so?

U can't be serious :perplexed
To even put the two in the same category is offensive to me IMO.
Yes, people don't like the term "creamy crack" just like people don't like the term "nappy".
It only gets used on hair boards (creamy crack). I haven't used the term IRL nor have I heard it IRL.
If you or anyone else doesn't think that the term pertains to you then cool. As a matter of fact, I hardly EVER see it used here.
Damn, there are way more important things in this lifetime to worry about than some hair board term :wallbash:

NikStarrr

I think it's offensive, because it was meant to be offensive. I think the term was coined initially by naturals/people going natural on more militant boards as derogatory term for relaxers.

Southernbella.

I don't use the term, and I have always found it offensive.

That said, I see more relaxed ladies use it than naturals (strictly talking about this board). As a natural, I don't feel it's my place to tell them they shouldn't use it...they may just be describing their OWN relationship with a relaxer.

TooCute

The relaxed heads that I know that hate this term only have a problem with it when a natural head says it. But if another relaxed head says it they don't find it insulting. I guess coming from a natural is more threatening to them.

Kind of like using the the word N***** When black people say it to each other it no one gets all up in arms. But if a white person says it to a black person the black person takes it as an insult or "fighting words".

Sounds like another word, let me help you guys. It starst with an "N":look::blush:

I said that earlier

prospurr4

I don't really like the term because of the negative connotation usually associated with it. Generally speaking, I think that if just one person is offended by the use of a word or phrase, then that's enough for me to stop using it...no explanation/debate is required.

SleepyJean

I don't really like the term because of the negative connotation usually associated with it. Generally speaking, I think that if just one person is offended by the use of a word or phrase, then that's enough for me to stop using it...no explanation/debate is required.

I agree...but oh well.

Butterfly08

No, I am relaxed and the term does not bother me at all. I have probably used it once or twice on this board myself. Now that I know it is offensive to some I will refrain from using it. :look:

Even if it was used in a derogatory way, I doubt it would annoy me. I respect everyone's right to wear their hair the way they want - natural, relaxed and everything in between. :yep: I'd probably just skip over the post. :lol::sunshine: