Is there anyone here that tried and DID NOT like Phytorelaxer?

HoneyDew

I know that many ladies do love it and we've all heard the hype about it. But, I want to hear from the ladies that have used it and did not care for it.

What did you NOT like about it?

I use and LOVE Profectiv relaxer - It has been the best relaxer I have ever used. But, I purchased a Phytorelaxer kit at a good price from another LHCF member a few months ago.

I have been afraid to stray away from Profectiv because I know that one and how good it is. I did try Phytorelaxer once, but I don't think I was doing a good job with applying it based on the tips that ladies have given - so that is why I don't think that experience was a fair one to judge it by.

For my next relaxer I am going to try Phytorelaxer (I think :perplexed ) and I want to hear the OTHER side of the story!

VelvetRain

Curious here. If it's not broke why you fixing it? Best of luck. Never used but waiting on the responses here.

HoneyDew

michelle3147 said:
Curious here. If it's not broke why you fixing it? Best of luck. Never used but waiting on the responses here.

You are right. But, I bought this one because I always wanted to give it a 2nd chance, and the price I got it for was a perfect way to do that.

But, since that time, I have chickened out. The worse thing is an unpredictable relaxer experience.

I have been tempted to sell the relaxer, but I am just trying to hear some review first.

I have 6 weeks to decide. :)

VelvetRain

I know there are a few older posts on here but you probably wanted up to date responses. From those alone I decided against fixing what was not broke.:)

HoneyDew

michelle3147 said:
I know there are a few older posts on here but you probably wanted up to date responses. From those alone I decided against fixing what was not broke.:)

What do you use? Your hair looks great, by the way. Is that your natural color - it is very pretty.

VelvetRain

Thanks. I was going to a salon in Boston where the owner used her brand of relaxer. Fortunatley my hair did very well with it. Since being down here I have only had access to mizani and affirm. I hated affirm because I thought it was too strong. I use mizani mild lye.

It is my natural color and I hate it because the sun bleaches the hell out of it in the summer.

alexstin

I tried it once and was too scared to try it again. It did nothing for my hair but leave it underprocessed and very dry. I wanted to try it again(and change up a few things---more generous application and longer processing) but was too scared I would get the same results.

I even tried to do a corrective and that didn't turn out well either. I still have this one underprocessed section on the front right that drives me so crazy because it's bushy and rough feeling. Well I have a couple of sections but that one is right on the top surface when I pull my hair back so it's more noticeable. Ugh. I went back to Mizani and sold my other box of Phyto. Oh well.:perplexed I don't know what it did to my hair but I wasn't wiling to do THAT to my hair again!

Last edited:

HoneyDew

alexstin said:
I tried it once and was too scared to try it again. It did nothing for my hair but leave it underprocessed and very dry. I wanted to try it again(and change up a few things---more generous application and longer processing) but was too scared I would get the same results.

I even tried to do a corrective and that didn't turn out well either. I still have this one underprocessed section on the front right that drives me so crazy because it's bushy and rough feeling. Well I have a couple of sections but that one is right on the top surface when I pull my hair back so it's more noticeable. Ugh. I went back to Mizani and sold my other box of Phyto. Oh well.:perplexed I don't know what it did to my hair but I wasn't wiling to do THAT to my hair again!

That is where I am. I was all excited about it to, but the closer I get to my next relaxer time, the less enthusiastic I am about it.

Last night I checked the ingredients in the relaxer again, and they really are not all that compared to Profectiv's. It has some protien in it, but that is about it. I think that helped me make my decision. Profectiv's ingredients are much more beneficial so I am going to sell my Phyto kit and give up on it forever! :)

alexstin

HoneyDew said:
That is where I am. I was all excited about it to, but the closer I get to my next relaxer time, the less enthusiastic I am about it.

Last night I checked the ingredients in the relaxer again, and they really are not all that compared to Profectiv's. It has some protien in it, but that is about it. I think that helped me make my decision. Profectiv's ingredients are much more beneficial so I am going to sell my Phyto kit and give up on it forever! :)

See, that was my thing. Phyto is supposed to be so much healthier for your hair that I really wanted to try again--but going 18 weeks without a relaxer and ending up with an underprocessed, dry mess is just something I couldn't keep doing.

LoveLiLi

I hated it. The woman who did my hair was raving about it and I heard so many good things on this site that I let her relax my hair with Phyto. It didn't burn, she didn't leave it in too long and it seemed just as good as my regular relaxer (Affirm). However, within the week my scalp got very itchy and I got bad dandruff. My scalp became sore and I started losing hair in clumps. This lasted for ~ two months and then gradually tapered off. I thought I was going to have bald patches or be forced to cut all my hair off.

I thought my problems were over and I started losing small locks of hair again. This time it didn't last as long, only a few weeks. I decided I wasn't going to get relaxers ever again. The fear of losing my hair was too much for me and the only thing that saved me was the fact that I have such thick hair, so I lost a-lot of hair, but still looked normal to everybody else.

I'm transitioning now and I won't be revisiting relaxers in the future. That experience scared me away for good.

nycutiepie

I've been using it for over 1 year and I loved it at first. My hair is mostly 4b with some 4a but it's porous so Phyto does get it straight, which I like. However, I've decided to go back to lye because it dries your hair out IMHO. I have underprocessed sections that need correcting and I think my hair was silkier with lye, even though I wasn't taking care of my hair back then. I gave it over 1 year to do its thing but I think it's stunting my progress because of the dryness.

dlewis

I wouldn't do it. One thing I believe about relaxers is not to change them up. Everytime I have in the past, I've had breakage.

newflowers

Honeydew -

If you decide not to use the Phytorelaxer, are you interested in selling it? If so, I am certainly interested in buying it.

Lavendar

Khalia27 said:
I hated it. The woman who did my hair was raving about it and I heard so many good things on this site that I let her relax my hair with Phyto. It didn't burn, she didn't leave it in too long and it seemed just as good as my regular relaxer (Affirm). However, within the week my scalp got very itchy and I got bad dandruff. My scalp became sore and I started losing hair in clumps. This lasted for ~ two months and then gradually tapered off. I thought I was going to have bald patches or be forced to cut all my hair off.

I thought my problems were over and I started losing small locks of hair again. This time it didn't last as long, only a few weeks. I decided I wasn't going to get relaxers ever again. The fear of losing my hair was too much for me and the only thing that saved me was the fact that I have such thick hair, so I lost a-lot of hair, but still looked normal to everybody else.

I'm transitioning now and I won't be revisiting relaxers in the future. That experience scared me away for good.

Wow! Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like a classic case of "under neutralization." Phyto will seriously jack you up if you don't neutralize correctly and for an extended period of time. Hope all is well now!;)

sareca

*phyto-lover sneaks in* Make sure you apply it "generously" if you're going for straight.

Arcadian

As somebody who wouldn't cheat on phyto, I will say that the ONE thing I dislike about it most is that its so darn hard to neutralize.

You really have to wash and wash well.

Quite a few ladies use a mix of vinegar and water as a neutralizing rinse. As long as I relax, I'll always use that.

But Honey, why mess with a good thing? Seriously, I'll be the first to say if you like how a relaxer works, keep it. Its the BIGGEST reason why I spend the money I do.

-A

Imani

nycutiepie said:
I've been using it for over 1 year and I loved it at first. My hair is mostly 4b with some 4a but it's porous so Phyto does get it straight, which I like. However, I've decided to go back to lye because it dries your hair out IMHO. I have underprocessed sections that need correcting and I think my hair was silkier with lye, even though I wasn't taking care of my hair back then. I gave it over 1 year to do its thing but I think it's stunting my progress because of the dryness.

I have similar hair and had a similar experience. the dryness got me over time. it looked dull and would not hold curl.

I went back to lye. this time vitale pro mild lye. its been doing okay thus far. My shine came back almost instantly. I just hope the lye doesn't thin my hair out over time again which is why i switched from affirm lye regular to phyto II in the first place

LovelyMiracle

I first used Phyto II after coming out of C&G mode for about 8 months. At first I loved how bouncy and manageable my hair was but after short time I started shedding so much it was scary. I stretched for another 6 months and went back to Just For Me and the shedding has went back to a normal amount. I swore I would never touch that stuff again.

msroddy

I hated phyto. I bought the relaxer and the deep conditioner and my hair was destroyed!!! Like most of the other ladies, the dryness was unbelievable. I had major breakage. I'll never use another phyto product.

kiesha8185

This is the same thing that happened to me. I self-relaxed with Phyto II and both times I was underprocessed. Well, it straightened my 4a sections, and my 4b sections just laughed at it. My hair was really dry, and it took a lot to keep it moisturized. I'm still in the market for a lye relaxer now. I still half of Phyto left that I don't know what I'm gonna do with it, but I'm sure not using it again.

MonaLisa

Ha haha haaa...
Is this your attempt to keep all of the phyto to yourself!!!:look:

Of course not! How dare you even insinuate such a thing!?
Phytorelaxer sucks like a 78 year old dentally challenged streetwalker...

*did it work?!*

Daisimae

I didn't know about Phytorelaxer until I found this forum. At first it intrigued me. Then, the price tag put me off. I thought I might try it in the future.

After using, (and loving), Profectiv I don't think I'll be trying Phyto . If ever I want to pay $60 for a relaxer, I'll be indulging in the luxury of having my stylist do it for me. For now, I'll stick with my $3.49 Profectiv kit.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
What did you NOT like about it?[size=+1]It made my hair hard and dry.

I'm sticking with Motions Mild. ;)
[/size]

crispychris

I used this relaxer and my hair became very brittle and dry. I consider myself to have a healthy grade of 4A. To me it was like a mild relaxer that came with a heavy protein treatment like Joico. I am not going to purchase this product again!