Its Updated- The Complete Vitamin Guide

tuffCOOKiE

L-Cysteine

This sulfur bearing amino acid makes up almost 8%-10% of each hair strand. L-Cysteine helps accelerate hair growth and increase overall diameter of each strand. L-Cysteine is also a known antioxidant. L-Cysteine supplementation also increases elasticity in the skin and added strength to the hair and nails. L-Cysteine also helps aid healing of skin wounds. When taking L-Cysteine as with any other single amino acid, it is important to rotate between single amino acids and amino acid complexes. The reason being is to again regulate your internal levels. Whenever one amino acid level is thrown out of whack for a long period of time, the amino acid starts to lose its therapeutic qualities. By rotating between singles and complexes, you assure that your internal levels stay balanced and that you get the best effect of the amino acids. This does not have to be complicated either. Just take your singles for a month or two and then take an amino acid complex or just up your protein intake for the next month or two. I usually just add a extra spoon or so of protein powder in my shakes when I am on a break from the single amino acids. L-Cysteine works very well as a supplement. Vitamin C also helps the absorption of single amino acids so take additional Vitamin C when experimenting with single aminos such as this one. Take single amino acids on an empty stomach with water or juice, no milk because it will compete with the supplement. You can start at 500mg a day and increase to as much as 2000mg a day. There has been evidence that excessive L-Cysteine could damage dna but everyone’s body reacts differently. Excessive is usually described as being 2500mg and over for a long period of time. Most healthy diets contribute 1000mg of L Cysteine daily.

My Question about this has always been, how much of the vitamin C to the amino do I take? For example, do I take on part Vit C and one part L Cysteine?

tallnomad

just bumping this. great info. i'm trying to streamline my vitamins. right now my staples are nettle leap capsules, l-cysteine and vitamin C.

Edited to say: I also take sockeye salmon oil capsules (has all of the omegas) each day. this has really helped with nearly eliminating hormonal breakouts and has really moisturized my hair.

Last edited:

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Bump! Am I crazy or just late....omega 6 fatty acids are also ceramides?
I've been intrigued by ceramides all week.

Barbie83

this should def be a sticky! I just copied and pasted this whole thing into a word doc. Thanks Gymfreak!

smores

BUMP. Thinking of increasing my MSM intake and found this. The initial post is very helpful. Has anyone updated a full hair, skin, nail vitamin list? Thanks!