Its Updated- The Complete Vitamin Guide

coconow2007

gymfreak336 said:
Hope this answers any other questions you might have had. If there any other specific request, just ask. Happy Hair Growing :D

Thanks so much - I am printing out the info you provided right now - thanks again:)

tkj25

dang! you done broke it down ... :) I am saving a copy of this! great info:grin: :grin: :grin: thanks gymfreak. i sense a book in you ...

Last edited:

gymfreak336

tkj25 said:
dang! you done broke it down ... :) I am saving a copy of this! great info:grin: :grin: :grin: thanks gymfreak. i sense a book in you ...

I wish. Let me get through this chemistry degree then maybe we can figure something out:cool:

netnet26

Hello where can I get the Fo-Ti Root at... and is it expensive?
gymfreak336 said:
Other things to consider

Just because a supplement isn’t usually consider to be a hair and nails supplement doesn’t mean that they don’t provide benefits to you hair. There are many antioxidants and circulatory stimulants that provide a boost to your hair growing conditions.

Beet Juice Tablets

Beet juice is naturally high in sulphur and iron. When taken as a supplement, beet juice helps thicken the hair and sometimes helps increase growth. Sonnes, Freeda, and Solaray make beet juice supplements. It usually takes 2-4 tablets a day to reap the benefits.

Grapeseed Extract and CoEnzyme Q10

Grapeseed Extract is a popular antioxidant that also increases circulation. This increase in circulation helps promote better growing conditions. Grapeseed extract has also shown effectiveness in preventing DHT build up in the body. CoEnzyme Q10 also increases circulation. By increasing your circulation, you help maintain an even flow of nutrients to the scalp therefore creating the best growing conditions possible. Kashi makes a cereal that has Grapeseed extract mixed right into it. You can find the cereal at Wal-Mart; it is called Heart to Heart.

Zinc

Zinc is an important mineral that supports the immune system. Make sure you consume adequate zinc. You should aim to consume between 15-30mg of zinc. Too little or too much zinc can cause hair loss. Zinc also helps prevent DHT in the body. DHT can lead to premature hair loss. Zinc also helps maintain the oil producing glands on the scalp and adequate zinc intake can help decrease dandruff and dry scalp conditions. Do not consume more than 40 mg of supplemental zinc. A little goes a long way in this case.

Iodine

Iodine is vital to growing healthy hair. Sheep farmers long ago discovered that vegetation void of iodine due to iodine-depleted soil will adversely affect the growth of wool in sheep. Iodine is synthetically added to table salt, however in this form it is not assimilated well into the body and can therefore cause iodine overload. An excess of iodine in the body can adversely affect the thyroid. It is best to use non-iodized salt and retrieve your iodine from natural food sources. These include seaweed, salmon, seafood, lima beans, molasses, eggs, potatoes with the skin on, watercress and garlic.

Spirulina and other greenfoods

Spirulina contains all sorts of helpful vitamins and minerals from beta carotene, to protein, to iron. Spirulina also contains GLA, an omega fatty acid. Spirulina is also rich in phytochemicals that help enhance the effects of vitamins and minerals. Alot people add spirulina into their daily diet through pill supplements or in powdered form added to drinks and shakes. Other green foods to consider adding to your diet are barley and wheatgrass. Remember, spirulina contains high levels of iron so keep that in mind if you take it.

Fo-ti Root

This herb is sold in capsule form and liquid form to be mixed with drinks. Fo-ti root is used to help extend the growth cycle of your hair allowing more growth before the hair sheds. I have not used Fo-ti root before but it is a recommended supplement from Robin; the lady who developed the crown and glory method.

anahnamuslyyours

netnet26 said:
Hello where can I get the Fo-Ti Root at... and is it expensive?
I found fo-ti at my local health food store. it's not that much more expensive than anything else I've bought; I think it was like $8 or so.

GoldenBreeze

Gymfreak336, girl I don't know how I missed this! All I can say is...:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy This information is invaluable. Thank you very much for the work that you put into this, and thanks for sharing.:clap:

MzOptimistic

gymfreak336 said:
Hair power house foods

Whole grains

Whole grain bread and pasta is high in fiber, protein and b vitamins. Many products also have a little iron in them. Oatmeal is easy to make and will leave you feeling full until lunch. Pastas like Barilla plus are made with ground flaxseeds and whole grain flour which adds a healthy amount of protein and omega fatty acids. When shopping for these products, look at the labels. Companies use the words “whole wheat” really liberally. Pick the products with the highest amount of fiber. Also try incorporate grains like spelt, barley, buckwheat and quinoa into your diet. Barley is high in niacin which belongs to the b-vitamin family. Buckwheat is one the most nutritious grains available. Quinoa is high in protein as well. If you are new to these grains, go your local health food store and sample foods that they have made with these grains. You can try different kinds of breads, salads, and soups that use these. I personally love using spelt to make great oatmeal cookies. By sampling items, you can get a feel of what flavors you like with out committing to buying a whole box of something that you might not like. Quinoa is really good as a side like rice pilaf or couscous. You can also buy little packets of ground flaxseeds that you can sprinkle on top of hot cereals and salads.

Salmon, Tuna and Shrimp

Salmon is a fatty fish that when eaten 2-3 times a week makes a nice omega fatty acid contribution. Tuna (without full fat mayo) also helps add omega fatty acids. Both are high in protein as well, and are not high in calories. Be sure that you make your own tuna salad. Many deli varieties have more calories and fat than a hamburger of equivalent size. Try a scoop of tuna on a whole grain English muffin, topped with a little shredded mozzarella cheese and toasted for 10 minutes. Add red onions and bell pepper to your tuna and up your veggie intake. Shrimp are a perfect source of low calorie protein that is high in iodine.

Nuts

Nuts like walnuts, almonds, peanuts, Brazilian nuts etc… are perfect hair foods. They have high amounts of fiber, vitamin E, zinc, and copper. Nuts, especially walnuts have high amounts of omega fatty acids. Nuts are high in fat but the fat in nuts is great for your heart and they absorb very differently in the body. A handful of nuts once a day makes a great snack. Almonds are high in fiber and help suppress the appetite so if you are trying to watch your weight and your hair, try those. Peanuts are high in copper which helps preserve hair pigment.

Eggs

Eggs are known as the perfect food and for good reason. Eggs have a high amount of protein, low calories, and can be made in a variety of ways. Scrambled, poached, sunny side up, doesn’t matter. The protein in eggs is easily assembled by your body and is high in sulfur bearing amino acids like L-cysteine. Now I know people have a fear of eggs because they do contain high amounts of dietary cholesterol but it is known now that most blood cholesterol is made by the body from dietary fat not dietary cholesterol. For a healthy person 1-2 eggs a day shouldn’t cause any major impacts in cholesterol levels. If you still have cholesterol concerns, alternate regular eggs with egg beaters. You can also buy eggs that have higher amounts of omega fatty acids.

Olive oil

I know most of us have already discovered the benefits of olive oil. At any given moment I am sure that one of us is preparing for a pre-poo with it or mixing it into a conditioner. Using olive oil in your cooking is another way to gain hair and skin benefits. Olive oil contains squalene and omega-9- fatty acids which help the hair and skin retain more moisture. Olive oil helps boost the immune system and lower cholesterol. It also helps fight heart disease and high blood pressure. Olive oil also helps your body burn more fat.

Onions, Garlic and the like

Onions, garlic and shallots are members of the Allium family. The members of this family have one distinctive characteristic; their pungent smell. This smell comes from the high levels of sulfur they contain. While the intensity of the smell can range from pretty mild with leeks and shallots to really intense with onions and garlic, they all contain valuable phyto-chemicals that are helpful in treating all kinds of conditions from heart problems to itchy, problem skin. Onions and garlic are not expensive and are easy to use in a variety of ways. Eating onions with your sandwiches, especially if you are using packaged sandwich meat, will help you absorb less of the nitrates they use in meats today. Many holistic remedies for hair loss involve using raw onion and garlic on the scalp to reduce shedding and strengthen hair follicles.

Spinach

This humble green is a powerhouse food in all aspects. Spinach can be eaten raw or cooked and can be mixed in just about anything. Spinach is rich in calcium, iron, b-vitamins, beta carotene and even omega fatty acids. Spinach is great for hair growth because it provide a vegetarian source of iron and calcium which most women lack. Low levels of these minerals can slow hair growth. Spinach releases more nutrients when lightly cooked so try just sautéing it lightly with olive oil and garlic.

Here are a couple of my favorite hair and skin healthy things to eat. These meals give you more bang for your buck when it comes to nutritional value. I love to cook but I don’t have the time to do it up all the time. I like things that are easy to make and can be made in limited space. Many of these things I would still be able to cook in my little dorm room with only a george forman grill, a griddle and a toaster oven.

Pumpkin Spice oatmeal: If you like warm creamy breakfast foods with an autumnal taste then you will like this. Make a cup of oatmeal like you usually do. I recommend that you use real oatmeal, not the instant stuff. After you oatmeal is cooked ( I make mine with a little milk and just a dash of half and half) mix in ½ a cup of canned pumpkin. Add a couple of dashes of pumpkin pie spice and honey to sweeten. This is extremely filling and tastes great. The oatmeal gives you iron, fiber and b-vitamins. The canned pumpkin gives you beta carotene, more fiber, and adds to you daily fruit and veggie count. To add to my protein intake, I brush just a touch of real maple syrup on two slices of turkey bacon and scramble 2 egg whites. If you don’t like pumpkin, try sautéing apple slices until they are soft, add a sprinkle of cinnamon, which can help stave off the effects of excess sugar consumption, and topping your oatmeal with that. I would often make this in a crock pot and share it with my suite mates when I stayed on campus.

Oven Fried Chicken

Mix ½ cup of parmesan cheese, ½ cup of wheat germ, ½ tsp of rosemary leave, onion powder, garlic salt, thyme and a couple of shakes of black pepper. Pour ¾ cup of buttermilk in a bowl. Dip 8 skinless chicken thighs in the buttermilk and roll in the wheat germ mixture. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes. You can also use skinless chicken fingers to cut cooking time. The dark meat thighs are high in iron, protein and b-vitamins. Since they are skinless, you save a lot of fat. Each thigh is around 80 calories and has 3 grams of fat with 9 grams of protein. The wheat germ mix adds around 2 grams of fiber. I got this recipe out of a health magazine. I switch up the seasonings from time to time.

Tamari Salmon

Mix ¼ cup of tamari-soy sauce, 2 big spoonfuls of honey, ¼ cup of ginger-garlic paste, and a couple of shakes of pepper in a bowl. Brush the mix over the top of 4 salmon fillets (6 ounces a piece). Let stand for 10 minutes. Heat a nonstick pan or griddle to medium-high heat. Cook 4 minutes on each side and serve with brown rice. If you don’t need to cook 4 a time, buy the salmon fillets that are shrink wrapped separately and frozen. They usually come 8-10 in a bag. Each piece of salmon gives you omega fatty acids, 35 grams of protein and just 285 calories.

Stovetop leek and mushroom stuffed chicken

Using a small knife, cut a pocket into 2 skinless chicken breast. Don’t cut all the way through the chicken but be sure to make your pocket as big as possible. Season the chicken with garlic powder, thyme, pepper, and oregano. Sit aside. In a nonstick skillet, heat about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add in 12 sliced shiitake mushrooms and 1 thinly sliced 4-5 inch section of leek. Make sure you rinse the leek well, sand and grit can hide within the stalk. Cook, stirring constantly until tender. Remove from heat and sprinkle with thyme and salt and pepper. Fill your chicken pockets with the filling being careful not to overfill. Using the same skillet, heat up a little more olive oil and brown the chicken on both sides over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and cover. Cook the chicken for another 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. I use a griddle when I am pressed for space to make this one. Its smells great when cooking. This dish will give you 35 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber per serving.

Dang, gym, you done did it again, thanks sweetie:kiss: You're the one who helped me get my vitamin regimen on point..thank you for doing an update.

Now, I hve to go back and read this book you wrote:lol:

Last edited:

gymfreak336

tsmith said:
Dang, gym, you done did it again, thanks sweetie:kiss: You're the one who helped me get my vitamin regimen on point..thank you for doing an update.

Now, I hve to go back and read this book you wrote:lol:
:lol: Just think, it was longer

Meli

thanks Gym for this thread, but I have another question:

So all in all, having the proper, well- balanced diet is key. Is it better to just take a multi-vitamin or individual vitamins? Right now, I'm taking in pill form: MSM, Biotin, Vitamin A and D and Zinc; and in liquid: Flaxseed Oil. Is this enough? My goal in taking these vitamins is to assist me in having mositure retention and spur hair growth.

gymfreak336

thanks Gym for this thread, but I have another question:

So all in all, having the proper, well- balanced diet is key. Is it better to just take a multi-vitamin or individual vitamins? Right now, I'm taking in pill form: MSM, Biotin, Vitamin A and D and Zinc; and in liquid: Flaxseed Oil. Is this enough? My goal in taking these vitamins is to assist me in having mositure retention and spur hair growth.

Hey Meli!

Overall, balance is the key. With that being said a multi is usually better than taking each individual vitamin. Taking an indivual too long especially when it comes to fat soluble vitamins, certain minerals and certain amino acids, throws off your internal balance. Finish taking what you have now. Then switch to a multi-vitamin to replace the a, d and zinc. Keep taking flaxseed oil, biotin, and msm. To keep your body responding to the biotin, try rotating brands. The only time I would personally recommend individual things besides biotin would be if you are deficent in something. Even then, you take it just for a month and then take a month off. This is the same thing you would do with amino acids. I take lysine during the winter months. I do 2-3 months on and 2-3 months off or I switch to a amino acid mix during the 3 month rest period. HTH! PM me if you have more questions :yep: