I've decided to go natural

cece22

I will be transitioning for 3-6 months then depending on how I feel I may cut a few inches off the relaxed ends or cut the relaxed hair completely. I had a long talk with my mother about my hair as a child she said it was more straight as a child and that it did have that bounce like when a natural gets shrinkage their hair when pulled will bounce back. I hope this is not the case oh well the suspense is killing me I have to see what it looks like. I need some courage not to run out and get a relaxer. Anyway my mom said she will comb it for me when I don't feel like it. I admit I am scared in my case my relaxed hair is easier for me to manage. Anyone else doing this that could tell me how is it going?

jainygirl

:clap: Congrats on your decision. We have alot of posts here on Transitioning and Tips. Do a search and you should find alot of stuff on the forum on Transitioning Tips :). Good luck -- jainygirl

Tai

Congratulations on your decision. :)

I've been transitioning since April and it's been pretty easy. I don't mess around with my hair much (I use the baggie method during the week) and I don't use heat regularly. You might find that products that work well for you now might stop working as well the longer you transition. And you'll have to be careful when you handle your hair to avoid breakage at the demarcation line. Some people have problems detangling but my texturized hair and natural hair aren't that different from one another so I've had no major problems with tangles. And I've found the right conditioners and combs/brushes to make it easy for me.

You'll have to adjust with the shrinkage issue. It's going to happen but you won't know for awhile how much your hair will shrink in it's natural state. I have a love/hate relationship with my shrinkage.

fine_beauty

Jesus, I Trust In You!
cece22 said:
I will be transitioning for 3-6 months then depending on how I feel I may cut a few inches off the relaxed ends or cut the relaxed hair completely. I had a long talk with my mother about my hair as a child she said it was more straight as a child and that it did have that bounce like when a natural gets shrinkage their hair when pulled will bounce back. I hope this is not the case oh well the suspense is killing me I have to see what it looks like. I need some courage not to run out and get a relaxer. Anyway my mom said she will comb it for me when I don't feel like it. I admit I am scared in my case my relaxed hair is easier for me to manage. Anyone else doing this that could tell me how is it going?

I know what you're talking about and for fun, I just pulled @ my own version of twist_braid combo and got the BOUNCE! Welcome to the natural world :D

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
cece22 said:
I admit I am scared in my case my relaxed hair is easier for me to manage. Anyone else doing this that could tell me how is it going?

It's not as hard as you would think, I transitioned 2 years ago when I was 15, and caring for my natural hair wasn't very ddifficult. Mind you I had no clue about trasitioning, deep conditioning, all that sutff I know now.

I just kinda let my hair do what it wanted. So congrats, I think you'll like it

mkstar826

supersonic
congrats CeCe! I transitioned for a year and it's not as hard as you would think. You just have to learn what to do to take care of transitioning and natural hair. Good Luck!

(congrats on the weightloss too!)

SilkyandSmooth

Good luck and congrats! I've been transitioning for 8 months now and the longer I transition, the easier it gets. Transitioning has made me realize how much more I love my natural hair than my relaxed hair.

Brownie

cece22 said:
I had a long talk with my mother about my hair as a child she said it was more straight as a child and that it did have that bounce like when a natural gets shrinkage their hair when pulled will bounce back. I hope this is not the case oh well the suspense is killing me I have to see what it looks like. I need some courage not to run out and get a relaxer. Anyway my mom said she will comb it for me when I don't feel like it. I admit I am scared in my case my relaxed hair is easier for me to manage. Anyone else doing this that could tell me how is it going?

I've found that my natural hair is easier to manage than my texturized hair, and my natural hair has no straightness to it whatsoever. I also have a lot of shrinkage---at least 50%---but shrinkage isn't a bad thing, especially when you find the right products to play up your texture.

If you're relaxing your hair to make it easier to handle, but you can't remember how easy your natural hair is to handle---then I think you owe it to yourself to find out exactly what you're changing (hair type). Who knows? You may find out that you like your natural type better. If not, go back to relaxing. At least you'll find out your hair type.
BTW, you're lucky that you have your mom in your corner.

lavendarlover

Congratulations!! Natural hair is easy to handle, once you get the hang of it. For me it was siply a matter of putting away the combs and picks and utilizing the fingers. You WILL learn what to do with your hair type. I am a 4a, and I don't see many people with hair like mine that has a lot of length. It si probably because of the fragile nature of the texture. Good luck!!