I've decided to go back natural but I need help!!

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
My mom relaxed my hair when I was nine. I had long and really thick hair and it was a hassle for a working mother to control so she relaxed it. I'm 24 now and I want my natural hair back!

I remember my hair being thich but not coarse. I was thinking about locing it but I'm the kinda girl who likes to change styles often so I'm not sure locs can afford me that option, besides I like the feel of a comb in my hair.

I've relaxed my hair since June 2nd, so I have a lot of roots. I had it cut since the last time I relaxed it too so it's just about neck length now. I braided my hair 2 days ago and I plan to braid it for the rest of the year.

Those of you who made the transition, how long did it take? Do I necessarily had to cut my hair off? Do you use the same shampoos & conditioners that you used while your hair was relaxed? Can you twist your hair yourself? How long should I braid my hair?

NewYorkgyrl

Congrats on your decision!!!!!!
The transitioners thread is quite helpful. Searching for particular tranistioners topics might also be helpful.

You are at about 6 months right? I know around the 6th or 7th month I had ALOT of shedding. I mean ALOT! I was surprised to still see hair on my head after I finished washing. One thing that I think helped was BBD stretch. You can do a serach to find out other reviews about the product.

I am not fully natural yet. It has been one year and two weeks since my last relaxer. I am not going to cut anytime soon (matbe in arpil/may). So to answer your question...no you do not have to cut your hair off. But I do think it is wise to get regular trims like every 2 months. Slowly getting the relaxed pieces off.

I am trying to get rid of all of my products so that is the only reason I am using the same shampoos and conditioners. When I am fully natural I have a product line that I am interested in trying.

I twisted my hair myself for the first time about a month ago. It came out pretty good I jsut hate the relaxed parts. I also had braids back in Septmeber and only kept them in for 6 weeks. If you decude to get braids doing the Crown and Glory method is a wise choice. You can also do a search on that topic.

Good luck in your journey!!

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
NewYorkgyrl said:
Congrats on your decision!!!!!!
The transitioners thread is quite helpful. Searching for particular tranistioners topics might also be helpful.

You are at about 6 months right? I know around the 6th or 7th month I had ALOT of shedding. I mean ALOT! I was surprised to still see hair on my head after I finished washing. One thing that I think helped was BBD stretch. You can do a serach to find out other reviews about the product.

I am not fully natural yet. It has been one year and two weeks since my last relaxer. I am not going to cut anytime soon (matbe in arpil/may). So to answer your question...no you do not have to cut your hair off. But I do think it is wise to get regular trims like every 2 months. Slowly getting the relaxed pieces off.

I am trying to get rid of all of my products so that is the only reason I am using the same shampoos and conditioners. When I am fully natural I have a product line that I am interested in trying.

I twisted my hair myself for the first time about a month ago. It came out pretty good I jsut hate the relaxed parts. I also had braids back in Septmeber and only kept them in for 6 weeks. If you decude to get braids doing the Crown and Glory method is a wise choice. You can also do a search on that topic.

Good luck in your journey!!

thanks...I'll do a search on those topics

firecracker

Val said:
Somebody help....I need guidance

Welcome newbie. Congrats on your new hair journey. All of us have tried varied things and charted our own course thru some trial and error.
I must first advise you to use the search option for alot of your questions, when you have moments of confusion or feel like what the helz am I getting myself into. :lol: Your journey is individual. You gotta try to find a hair twin by checking out folks fotki and other hair album, the photo gallery here and using the archived threads. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had here.

You don't have to chop off your hair. Keeping it in braids may be a good way to maintain your hair for a while.

I still use the search option to obtain loads of hair regimes, product info, supplement info, hair style options and just simple kowlege that has been posted numerous times over the years.

Hey I gotta warn you though "don't become a PJ=product junkie, don't over do it or try to many things all at once. :lol: This board is addictive. By the way, I'm crazy Firecracker I love to crack jokey jokes!

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
firecracker said:
Welcome newbie. Congrats on your new hair journey. All of us have tried varied things and charted our own course thru some trial and error.
I must first advise you to use the search option for alot of your questions, when you have moments of confusion or feel like what the helz am I getting myself into. :lol: Your journey is individual. You gotta try to find a hair twin by checking out folks fotki and other hair album, the photo gallery here and using the archived threads. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had here.

You don't have to chop off your hair. Keeping it in braids may be a good way to maintain your hair for a while.

I still use the search option to obtain loads of hair regimes, product info, supplement info, hair style options and just simple kowlege that has been posted numerous times over the years.

Hey I gotta warn you though "don't become a PJ=product junkie, don't over do it or try to many things all at once. :lol: This board is addictive. By the way, I'm crazy Firecracker I love to crack jokey jokes!

kool.....nice to meet you Firecracker :)

firecracker

Val said:
kool.....nice to meet you Firecracker :)

Same here pretty lady. I tried to transition before I decided to bc and go natural. I truly wish I had just waited it out. If you can wear braids I say transition. I was natural for a year plus but I texturized at the end of the Summer this year. I kinda like the option to go curly or straight. The odd thing is even some like Sylver2 can still do curly style etc.

You gotta check out the awesome albums though girl. :) Some of the ladies here have step by step instructions that are life savers and a world of product knowledge.

Ms Lala

Congrats on your decision to go natural. I cut mine off after it was less than an inch and wore braids as it grew out. I also ended up cutting the first couple inches of natural hair that grew out because it just looked real damage but after that it was smooth sailing. I think Pamela Farrell's book Let's Talk Hair is an excellent guide on doing 2-strand twists if you are interested in this style. I love the book and thought it was very helpful during my transition.

ThursdayGirl

Val said:
Those of you who made the transition, how long did it take? Do I necessarily had to cut my hair off? Do you use the same shampoos & conditioners that you used while your hair was relaxed? Can you twist your hair yourself? How long should I braid my hair?

Hey Val,

I transitioned for about 14 months. I cut an half and inch to an inch about every 1-3 months. I don't think you have to cut your hair off, but you may find that after a point you hair is easier to comb and style. Cutting gets rid of texture differences between your natural and relaxed hair. Also, you will get rid of any damaged ends. You'll have to see how it goes. If you're running into a lot of tangles - it might be time to cut/trim.

I transitioned with twist-outs, updos and the occassional crinkly rollerset so I can't really answer your braids question.

I did basically use the same shampoos and conditioners because my hair has always been dry and that didn't change just because I was transitioning. I did find that my hair was easier to handle if I pre-conditione before my washes.

Now that I'm natural, I primarily style my hair into two strand twists, twist-outs, ponypuffs, or pull my hair back into a claw clip.

glamazon386

I chopped at 5.5 months bc I couldn't take it anymore. Yes, eventually you will have to cut off your relaxed hair. It's just a matter of sooner vs later. If you plan to transition, then the cutting will happen later. I still use the same shampoo and conditioner (Nexxus). And yes I can twist my hair myself. As far as how long to braid your hair, do you mean how long should you keep this set in? Cuz you could keep it braided up as long as you like, but you should take them down every 2-3 months and get them redone.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
bmoreflyygirl said:
I chopped at 5.5 months bc I couldn't take it anymore. Yes, eventually you will have to cut off your relaxed hair. It's just a matter of sooner vs later. If you plan to transition, then the cutting will happen later. I still use the same shampoo and conditioner (Nexxus). And yes I can twist my hair myself. As far as how long to braid your hair, do you mean how long should you keep this set in? Cuz you could keep it braided up as long as you like, but you should take them down every 2-3 months and get them redone.
well I just put this set in on Sunday and I plan to take them off end of January. Should I rebraid straightaway if not how much time is wise to leave my hair free before I rebraid?

I know I will have to cut the relaxed ends at some point......I figure I'll cut some off when I remove this set of braids. Right now I use pantene relaxed and natural products. Garnier Fructis long and strong worked well for me but I just decided to switch to pantene since I got good reviews from my sis.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
it's been a month since I braided my hair and I'm removing it today...started already. I see about 1/2 inch of growth within this month. I'm going to rebraid it......should I do it right away (after I wash my hair) or should I leave it for a day or 2?

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
I haven't logged in here in a while but I am still on my natural journey. I've been braiding since December and so far so good. I removed my braids today and I deep conditioned my hair with pantene relaxed and natural. I do want to move to products that cater specifically to natural hair since I have a lot of growth now. I have about 3" of natural hair and it is very thick.

After I rinsed off the deep condition I applied some olive oil and a herbal oil mix (almond oil blend, apricot kernel oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, evening primrose, jojoba, wild mint, parafin oils and sunflower extract. I then out in 2 flat cornrows and I'm about to go to bed.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
This is what it looks like now. I have to rebraid soon though. I figure I'll continue to do so for a few more months.

divya

Just now seeing your thread girl. As you already know, I think those braids are look gorgeous and your hair seems to be growing quickly. Keep it up. :)

NuMe2004

I'm so glad you're transitioning! I began transitioning after 8 years of relaxing and have yet to look back. I even talked one of my sisters into doing it and her hair is now thicker than it's ever been in years.

The biggest piece of advice I can give to you as you transition is to moisturize, moisturize, and moisturize your hair! I began to treat all my hair as if it were natural and slowly trimmed the ends. It took approx. 2 years to get a head full of all-natural hair.

You can check out my album to see how I went from over processed, damaged hair to healthy, natural hair. I welcome any questions you might have as you make the change.

Good luck to you :)!

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
hey CG.....That thread been here since last year but I rarely come on. I need to de more deligent :lol

@NuMe2004....you hair looks gorgeous. How do you straighten it...hot comb, blow out or flat iron?

ToyToy

Val said:
This is what it looks like now. I have to rebraid soon though. I figure I'll continue to do so for a few more months.

Hey, I do that style almost every day! :)
Unfortunately, I can't give you that much advice on transitioning, because I went straight for the BC. I had less than an inch when the stylist was done. But, as someone else has mentioned, there is a transitioners' thread here, so you could do a search on that.
I do wish you all the best, though!!! If you have questions on products, I'll be glad to chime in as best as I can :grin: !!!

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
ToyToy said:
Hey, I do that style almost every day! :)
Unfortunately, I can't give you that much advice on transitioning, because I went straight for the BC. I had less than an inch when the stylist was done. But, as someone else has mentioned, there is a transitioners' thread here, so you could do a search on that.
I do wish you all the best, though!!! If you have questions on products, I'll be glad to chime in as best as I can :grin: !!!

thank you!!

mariamichelle

I transitioned for 8 months. During those months I wore my hair in a phony pony and braid outs. I think that it is important to wear your hair in textured looking styles while you are transitioning so when you cut your hair it will not be as much of a shock and in the process you learn about your natural hair. It was one of the best things that I have ever done and I love my hair.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
mariamichelle said:
I transitioned for 8 months. During those months I wore my hair in a phony pony and braid outs. I think that it is important to wear your hair in textured looking styles while you are transitioning so when you cut your hair it will not be as much of a shock and in the process you learn about your natural hair. It was one of the best things that I have ever done and I love my hair.

Since I started transitioning I been wearing my hair in braids. I would remove the braids, wash and rebraid almost immediately. This is the first time I'm really giving it a rest and I must say I like the texture. It's thick but it's soft.

NuMe2004

Val said:
@NuMe2004....you hair looks gorgeous. How do you straighten it...hot comb, blow out or flat iron?

Thanks for the compliment :)! I blow dry and flat iron my hair with ceramic tools to get it straight. I use to let it air dry completely before I flat ironed it, but lately I have been using a blow dryer.

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
NuMe2004 said:
Thanks for the compliment :)! I blow dry and flat iron my hair with ceramic tools to get it straight. I use to let it air dry completely before I flat ironed it, but lately I have been using a blow dryer.
you're welcome chica:)

Str8~Curly

I had locs. I did not plan to ever pick them out when I first locked up, but I ended up taking them out, yes, you can take out locs without cutting them off. It turned out to be an easy transition for me that way. When my locked hair was about shoulder length, I BCed, (the relaxed hair would not lock but I was not about to walk around with no hair so I kept the relxed hair in a bun). When I got sick of them, mainly b/c I missed grooming my hair the way that you can't do with locs, I just used the metal end of a rat tailed comb and worked them out.

wyldcurlz

i transitioned without the big chop (BC.) i just started doing the wannakee thing. i became passionate about conditioning my hair like a maniac. i wore it in buns. slicked back buns. sometimes i had crazy roots and looked like buckwheat. but it worked. i just gave up relaxing cold turkey. of course, at that time i was stretching about 6-months between relaxers. i hope that helps. that's all i did. my hair is currently natural and BSL.

my question for you, Val, is why do you want to go back to natural?

i ask because i LOVE my natural hair, but i'm sick of limiting my styling options. so i'm now thinking about relaxing. why are you going natural?

Aviah

My mom relaxed my hair when I was nine. I had long and really thick hair and it was a hassle for a working mother to control so she relaxed it. I'm 24 now and I want my natural hair back!

I remember my hair being thich but not coarse. I was thinking about locing it but I'm the kinda girl who likes to change styles often so I'm not sure locs can afford me that option, besides I like the feel of a comb in my hair.

I've relaxed my hair since June 2nd, so I have a lot of roots. I had it cut since the last time I relaxed it too so it's just about neck length now. I braided my hair 2 days ago and I plan to braid it for the rest of the year.

My transition was 17 months, but yours can be as long as you feel comfortable with. My hair grows/gre slowly, and I wanted at least 5/6 inches all over to work with.

You do not need to cut as in Big Chop all the relaxed hair off at once. I used to let it grow a little and cut a little. It was roughly SL throughout the transition.

the products I use have changed. They are heavier and less protein based.
I used to use profective breakfree and healthy ends, CON (old formula). and Motions CPR and tried several moisture conditioners, like Cholestrols, ORS replenishing Conditioner, and Profective growth masque (which my relaxed hair loved). Now I use CON (blue lable, but waiting to finish it before I get a sulphate free one) ORS replenishing conditioner/ shea butter cholestrol, coconut oil, shea butter from time to time on the ends (I found it too heavy for my hair overall.

I can twist my hair on my own, and as far as braiding, you have to do what works for you. I cannot keep braids in for more than 4 weeks without it looking messy it seems. Just make sure you wash, condition and keep you hair moisturized in the braids, and take them down gently each time.

Expect the unexpected with Natural hair sometimes, it can be unpredictable and takes more of an open mindset to whatever it does/ doesn't do. All the best!