Jan/Feb 2009 - MT/OCT Challenge Thread

CurlyMoo

Quick big-up to CURLYMOO:

This young woman is the bomb. I am not officially in the thread , but I use it regularly and have since Sept (maybe August?) and I really don't know what I am doing. I've seen growth, but I promise....IT'S BY ACCIDENT!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

I PMed CurlyMoo to ask her her regimen and to tell her a bit about myself and she just gave me everything I needed to make MT work best for my hair type and health concerns!!! Nothing too complicated, but right up my alley. Wow!

I just want to thank her publicly and also to say to all the women of this board that you are all really special. I "visited" another site yesterday, just curious to see if I could learn anything new, but it was so catty and mean on just the few pages I read that I could never join there.

You don't have to belong to a particular faith to just be kind and considerate!!! I was like...DAAAANNNNNGGGG!!!! :lachen::lachen: It happens here on occasion, but it's the exception, not the rule. Thank the good Lord for that!

Anyway...thanks for being who you are, women of LHCF, and for making this place a place where we learn together instead of tearing each other down regularly.

Much love...

*skipping towards my beloved bottle of MT*

Christi

Melodies, I just noticed your post. Thank you so much and you are most welcome. I hope you are progressing well. I hope that all the ladies here achieve their hair goals. Consistency is the key. :yep:

*closer*2*my*dreams*

Closer, I'm sorry for your dissapointment. My advice would be to up the amount of days that you apply MT. Instead of 3x a week lets try 4-5x a week. And maybe you can apply a peppermint oil or a product that makes your scalp tingle to your scalp before you MT. How are you using MT? Do you appy to hair for 10min and rinse or do you apply to scalp?

I will probably up the # of days. I didn't want to go into protein overload because of my transition. I apply it directly to my scalp at night and then i place a shower cap over my head and i'm off to sleep. In the morning, I just rinse and moisturize and style as usual.

I do the same for the OCT. I alternate between the two. At first I alternated days, now i just one a month and keep switching them off.

kiarai

Ok so I’m having a few problems and I’m wondering if there is anyone here who can help me.

So here goes:

I put MT on my scalp every night and maybe some oil, wrap it and go sleep.

In the morning I put some Mizani Rose H20 then some oil to seal. Sometimes I don’t need to do this because my hair still has moisture from the night before

I co-wash either 2 or 3 times a week and DC 2 times a week with Herbal essences or Tresemme. Wash once every 2 weeks.

Here’s the problem, I’m still experiencing breakage and my hair is really soggy and turns to mush when I apply water to my hair during a wash.

I really wanna do a protein treatment (have never done one before) But I’m scared because MT is protein and I don’t want to over do it.

My hair is ear length so I’m getting more worried about losing hairs

So I’m just looking for any suggestions or feedback on regimen which might help solve the problem from the wonderful and wise ladies on LHCF

Please help

TIA

Sieda

Hi Ladies!

I was wearing individual braids with my natural hair underneath my wig and I left them in for 2.5 months... well, when I took them out they were a matted & tangled mess. I ended up going to the Dominican salon for the 1st time :| I lost a lot of hair due to matting/shedding/manipulation/blow dry/straightening <sigh> Needless to say, I have learned my lesson.

One more thing, the lady that was doing my hair said it was so thick and healthy despite all that- Thanks LHCF & MT/OCT ;)

Side note: Transitioning and haven't permed the back of my hair (only edges) in 8 months or more.

tatambabyy

Ok so I’m having a few problems and I’m wondering if there is anyone here who can help me.

So here goes:

In the morning I put some Mizani Rose H20 then some oil to seal. Sometimes I don’t need to do this because my hair still has moisture from the night before

I co-wash either 2 or 3 times a week and DC 2 times a week with Herbal essences or Tresemme. Wash once every 2 weeks.

Here’s the problem, I’m still experiencing breakage and my hair is really soggy and turns to mush when I apply water to my hair during a wash.

I really wanna do a protein treatment (have never done one before) But I’m scared because MT is protein and I don’t want to over do it.

So I’m just looking for any suggestions or feedback on regimen which might help solve the problem from the wonderful and wise ladies on LHCF

Please help

TIA
sounds like moisture overload. I would definitely do a protein treament. start with a light one if your worried, such as aphogee 2 minute.:yep:

supermodelsonya

So here goes:

Please help

TIA

If you are applying MT to scalp only, then I'm not sure why you would experience protein overload. That only happens if you are using as a protein DC and other protein based products as well.

You ARE experiencing Moisture Overload, you don't have a choice really. Your hair need protein or it will stretch and break off. You dont want a setback.

Jaxhair

kiarai, your hair needs protein ASAP! I agree with the ladies above, you have too much moisture and very little/no protein. I use MT on my hair for a light protein at least once a week and I'm natural, in addition to other protein and ayurvedic powders every now and then and my hair's in the best condition it's been in in a long time. Hope you get it sorted soon!

melodies815

So here goes:

Please help

TIA

I am just chiming in that it definitely sounds like moisture overload. I did my hair again wishing for your problem because moisture overload is easier to address that protein.

I am a fan of MT and would think it would solve your problem immediately with a 5-10 minute leave-in. Clarify. Protein (MT or your choice or the LHCF veteran recommendation), and then light condition and rinse fully. I recommend MT simply because it's high in protein and would probably solve the problem quickly Please let us know how it goes!

Blessings,
CJ

melodies815

MT USAGE BREAKTHROUGH

Haircare sisters...

I have stated preciously that I am not a challenger...but that it mostly because I don't want to commit and then bow out...

...but I have seen so much growth from this product and use it regularly, that I have to post something new I found last night.

The six staples and one regimen I have found on LHCF that I will never again be without are:

(1) Clarifying (I use Pantene)
(1) MT - MegaTek
(2) SMB - Sabino Moisture Block
(3) L'Oreal Intense Repair Masque - with ceramides!
(4) Infusium Moisturologie - with arginine!!
(5) Garlic (internally)
(5) NO COMBING

Last night, after thinking hard about what cause breakage and wondering what KIND of breakage I have and then figuring out what keeps my hair most protected, I realize that my hair is breaking from dryness. I decided upon the following:

* Wash with Pantene's Clarifying shampoo in shower.
* DC for about 20 minutes with L'Oreal Intense Repair Masque and detangle while this is in my hair. Apply like a relaxer in shower.
* Bathe my body.
* Rinse conditioner
* Apply MT. Leave in 5 minutes. Rinse.
* Rinse my body.
* Get out of shower, squeeze hair dry, lotion body and dress. :lachen:
* Apply SMB to moist hair, gently comb through with wide toothed comb to get all of the hair.
* Blow dry. Make sure scalp is dry. Put on a tiny bit more SMB - dime sized amt.
* Part and apply MT on scalp. Apply liberally.
* Blow dry again. Hair is already protected with SMB.
* Do or don't flat iron. Do run blown dryer again and use fingers to make sure scalp is dry from MT. I personally would flat iron after putting on a little more SMB. I want my end protected and since it's in a bun anyway...I could care less about a bit more SMB in my hair. :lick:
* Apply oil to scalp if desired.

I know this is long and I am sorry if I am iritating anyone, but I have major issues with Parabens. They cause estrogen overload for me and my health...but I want growth from MT. So....this allows me to

(1) Apply it liberally once per week and leave it in with low to no problem.
(2) Protect the rest of my hair from the dryness caused by heavy protein. SMB blocks moisture, heat, other products, and just about everything that is not SMB. Yaayy! :yay::yay:
(3) Immediately STOP all breakage with the L'Oreal product.
(4) Allow me to only comb once every 1-2 weeks if I choose and protective style with no line of demarcation or breakage since I am relaxed.

Someone with no health issues from parabens might be able to use more than once per week and really accelerate growth. I can only do it once a week to be safe. I still take

my garlic, though.

JustKiya...you've inspired me to experiment in my regimen. I had a warm fuzzy feeling while doing my hair last night, and it was a first. It was one of those times when I KNEW I was doing it right. Thanks for your bravery and congratulations on your INCREDIBLE hair growth these past 6-7 months.

Curlymoo: I say the same to you. Thanks for letting me know your regimen and writing about your progress.

Sylver2: Thanks for the no combing regimen and for writing about what helps you to detangle. Your hair is my absolute inspiration.

I am really excited and will post my progress again in 2 weeks.

Blessing to us all, and I hope this is helpful to someone!

HHG everyone!!
Christi J.

JJamiah

I will probably up the # of days. I didn't want to go into protein overload because of my transition. I apply it directly to my scalp at night and then i place a shower cap over my head and i'm off to sleep. In the morning, I just rinse and moisturize and style as usual.

I do the same for the OCT. I alternate between the two. At first I alternated days, now i just one a month and keep switching them off.

Do you think you have what I had, Hair Anorexia, Literally I felt my hair never grew even though I went from APL to MBL It just literally looked the same to me until I looked at pictures years later, I was like what is wrong with my eyes. Now I am growing my hair back out and still feel the same way, people say yes it is growing, I personally think they are crazy buttttttttttt, I am taking pictures so I will do that every other month to see for myself in an unbiased eye! (Talk myself into thinking it is someone else) LOL :drunk:

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I thought that was probably my problem, but i've been the same length since September...I kid you ladies not. I will definitely post pics when I get home tonight. I don't know if i am going through s phase where my hair won't grow for a while or what...but i am very dejected. it's so much i want for my hair, and it seems like it's not co-operating...

Aggie

I ahven't checked in for a minute and just checking on how everyone's doing with their progress with MT/OCT. I haven't been using it or the past 1.5 weeks because my hair is in a sew in and I never use it while my hair is in a protective style of this nature. Anyhoo, hope everyone's doing okay. By the way, I am still travelling and won't be home until March 20th and I have to admit, I can't wait to get home out of this cold weather here in Nebraska.

JustKiya

I completely agree with the other ladies Kairai - your hair needs some protein, stat! I'd suggest doing a nice lil DC with some Mega-Tek - take it straight to the head. ;) Check and see how your hair is after that, and if it's still a bit soggy, another MT application to your full length of hair 4 days after the first, and that should set you straight.
IF you are a henna-user, this would be a perfect time for a henna treatment - if not, stick to just the MT. :yep:

CurlyMoo

Do you think you have what I had, Hair Anorexia, Literally I felt my hair never grew even though I went from APL to MBL It just literally looked the same to me until I looked at pictures years later, I was like what is wrong with my eyes. Now I am growing my hair back out and still feel the same way, people say yes it is growing, I personally think they are crazy buttttttttttt, I am taking pictures so I will do that every other month to see for myself in an unbiased eye! (Talk myself into thinking it is someone else) LOL :drunk:

I have the same problem. My hair is around SL/APL unstretched and it feels so light and like it's not growing but when I stretch it, WOW! Last night I had such a good time with my hair. I took out my twists and my hair was so full and bouncy. I sense more growth but I'm not too sure yet.

melodies815

Can I please join this challenge or is there a better time for me to try to join? I am tired of being the fake member. :blush:

I am sure that almost everyone here knows about this, but I made an accidental discovery about my use of Aloe Vera Gel and MT used together that probably accounted for the growth I had last year. I am a relative newbie, so please forgive my slowness for what the more experienced growers already know.

I am only posting this for new user who may not know we can use AVG and MT on our scalp for great growth. The AVG might be a nice alternative to MN for people who don't want to use that but still want something with antibacterial properties. (I know MN is antifungal...but anti anything bad is fine with me! :grin:)

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=319277

I hope this is helpful and not overly redundant.

Blessings,
cj

kiarai

Ladies thanks so much for your wise words. I feel a lot better about solving my hair problems because I can ask for advice on this forum.

I just assumed that because I was applying MT to my scalp that was already a lot of protein in my hair.

Anyway, I did the Aphogee 2-step protein treatment last nite.

It does not smell good, citrus tangy fish. But the Balancing Moisturiser wasn’t too bad.

It turned out really well, my hair seems stronger and there was definitely less breakage. When I usually comb my hair I constantly look at the comb to see how much hair has broken, but this time I felt so much more confident when coming out my hair.

I will do a DC with MT on the length of my hair next time. Do you sit under the dryer while it’s on your hair?

Thanks for your help and advice, you guys are the BUSINESS!!

keepinitnatural

OK, here's an update/question:

I've been using MT as a leave-in for about three weeks. I wash every 3-4 days with Hello Hydration and use MT and Elasta QP Mango Butter to two-strand twist my natural hair. I know it's early, so I'm not expecting a huge change in growth yet. But, I swear to you, every time I use the MT I get the WORST headache... it makes me dizzy almost. :nono: Has anyone else experienced this? What should I do? I know I can opt not to use it as a leave-in and just as a DC after I co-wash... but I don't want to lose out on the benefits of using MT either. Will it not work as well if I just wash it out? No pain, no gain, I suppose, but DANG!!! Any suggestions?

SCarolinaGirl

I'm starting to get slack with the MT... I need some movitation please! Someone get rid of my laziness, lol!

Last edited:

JJamiah

I've been using MT as a leave-in for about three weeks. I wash every 3-4 days with Hello Hydration and use MT and Elasta QP Mango Butter to two-strand twist my natural hair. I know it's early, so I'm not expecting a huge change in growth yet. But, I swear to you, every time I use the MT I get the WORST headache... it makes me dizzy almost. :nono: Has anyone else experienced this? What should I do? I know I can opt not to use it as a leave-in and just as a DC after I co-wash... but I don't want to lose out on the benefits of using MT either. Will it not work as well if I just wash it out? No pain, no gain, I suppose, but DANG!!! Any suggestions?

There is a forum on this somewhere here do a search, I don't know the direct link. Otherwise, I was a sufferer for about 2 days :nono:, then it went away:drunk:. I do it daily Monday thru Thursday. I don't know if it is working or not, we will see at the end of march or once I finish this bottle (towards the end of march).

JustKiya

Use less. Use a LOT less. I don't know how much you are using, but the only time I get headaches is when I use A LOT at a time. Put it into a tub, dip just the tip of your pinky finger into it, and rub along an about 3-5 inch 'part' on your scalp. Otherwise, you'll have to use it less.

Can I please join this challenge or is there a better time for me to try to join? I am tired of being the fake member. :blush:

I am sure that almost everyone here knows about this, but I made an accidental discovery about my use of Aloe Vera Gel and MT used together that probably accounted for the growth I had last year. I am a relative newbie, so please forgive my slowness for what the more experienced growers already know.

I am only posting this for new user who may not know we can use AVG and MT on our scalp for great growth. The AVG might be a nice alternative to MN for people who don't want to use that but still want something with antibacterial properties. (I know MN is antifungal...but anti anything bad is fine with me! :grin:)

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=319277

I hope this is helpful and not overly redundant.

Blessings,
cj

:lol: Welcome CJ! I'll add you now. :yep:

melodies815

Use less. Use a LOT less. I don't know how much you are using, but the only time I get headaches is when I use A LOT at a time. Put it into a tub, dip just the tip of your pinky finger into it, and rub along an about 3-5 inch 'part' on your scalp. Otherwise, you'll have to use it less.

:lol: Welcome CJ! I'll add you now. :yep:

Thanks so much Kiya!!!

cj

jamaicalovely

Hi girls,

I'm just sharing my February update pics. Later.

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 10

Blaque*Angel

Ladies, I am devestated!!!!!! :wallbash:

I ordered a brand new bottle of MT and a new bottle of OCT. Its on the way. I was all super uber excited. I did my hair over again last night and..... :wallbash: my wig is stuck to my head!!! I can't get this freakin thing off! Usually I use a satin cap to bond, but forgot to purchase one. So I tried to be slick and just use 4 stockin' caps....:nono: Did not work. Now this thing is stuck on my head for the next three weeks so I can not apply my regimen until then. Ooooooo I'm mad!! I want to actually take it down, but that is a waste of $150 bucks worth of hair!

I still may take it down. That's too much time wasted. I could have gotten half an inch in the next three weeks...:nono:

how did you get it stuck on your head?

melodies815

Hi girls,

I'm just sharing my February update pics. Later.

Beautiful growth, JL!! Your hair is growing like a daggone weed!!! Mine seems to be fast asleep. :wallbash: Question: are you trimming a lot to keep your shape? Your hair always looks so perfect. I would love perfect hair but can't imagine trimming often. Plus, I don't get splits much..

Anyway, just curious...

cj

bad hair day

Thanks to the ladies on this site I have experienced zero problems with MT. Everyone's trial and error paved the way for me to jump into this challenge geared with all kinds of knowledge. I started using MT Feb 16th. So far I have gained 3/4" new growth and increased thickness. As I told my mom, I also experienced a slight texture change. My hair is now "managably nappy". lol
To define: Its definitely softer and healthier. I have no longer have problems with breakage. I can comb my hair with leaving a pile in the sink, on the floor and in my comb. Thank you Jesus!!!:dance7:Make me wanna holler, throw up both my hands!!! I am looking forward to seeing what March 16th will produce. I will be 2 months into the challenge then. I wished I'd known about MT and this forum sooner. Thank you ladies again.