KBSS Boycott Planning Thread

What should the name of this boycott be?

• UnOccupy the BSS

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • Stop the BSS

Votes: 85 60.7%
  • I have another suggestion (please make it known in the thread!)

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters

Mo to the...

I don't know how many people know about this website but it is AWESOME! http://www.urbansalonnetwork.com/listing/

It is very extensive and from what I've seen is up to date because the individual stylist, salons, owners pay to have their shop/business listed. Check it out and let me know what you think. These type of sites should be front and center because people have to have an alternative to get their supplies.

Cendra

The easiest things that can be done by the end of the week would be creating a FB page and a twitter acct.

I think creating a twitter account and tweeting facts about what's going on would be cool. After every tweet, we can put #UnoccupyTheBSS (or whatever hashtag we choose)

Speaking of hashtags, we really need to decide on which ones to use! :)

@davisbr88 likes #UnoccupyTheBSS

I personally like #StopTheBSS

Anyone else have any input?

I think that anything "Unoccupy" right now sounds like riding off the coat tails of that movement and kinda loses some of the flavour. "#StopTheBSS" sounds more poignant, IMO.

SkySurfer

Ah guys I love it, I've always wanted to be part of redirecting OUR money back into OUR communities, and if we can help do this in even some tiny way, that will still be a step forward.

chocolat79

The debate about whether it should be 'Stop The BSS' or not is interesting. It made me think about an experience my mother had yesterday. She was at (or near?) a bss and mentioned the boycott to some regular, non-hairboard folk, black women, and they were 100% down. They were fired up and these are not people who normally join protests, lol. Why? Because of how the Koreans treat us, plain and simple. Now, of course, they didn't seem to consider where they'd get their weave hair or whatever in the interim, but based on the degree of their fervor, I'm gonna assume that, in that moment, their anger and offense was enough to drive them. I think that's the case for most of us here: we came to this point out of anger and offense. I think the name should reflect that which is why I'm co-signing 'Stop The BSS.'

On another note, fliers would be an excellent idea, especially in situations like the one I recounted above. It would have been helpful for my mother to have been able to hand them a piece of paper with the twitter/fb info and our website. Maybe somebody could create a pdf with all the info and post it to the new site.

@ the bolded, great point! I think it's essential that we build up these current Black-owned BSS's as well. Meaning, if regular (non-LHCF) women are on board to boycott these KBSS's, then they have to be given a viable, accessible, and equal alternative. I think it may be a good idea to see what can be done to make sure that these BOB's have the needed selection to satisfy the customers.

Boujoichic

I will definitely support. The amount of money the ladies on this board alone spend on Hair and Beauty products we could definitely make an impact.

Stepiphanie

I'm in!! I don't visit local BSS often but they are all over here in BK and most are Korean owned. I will be sure to spread the word.

Tamster

I am going to edit the OP this afternoon to make it clear this boycott is not about race, prejudice, or malice.

I hope that it becomes clear that the point is to direct money back to black owned businesses.

Articles that discuss issues related to the boycott, and why some of us may be participating will remain because I think they are important to understanding the issue completely.

lala

I can easily boycott the Asian BSS, no problem there. They've never made much $$$$ off me anyway.

LifeafterLHCF

I'm down for this as I went to one Saturday and I just abhor the attitudes like Im bothering them or something itch if it wasn't for my dollars you wouldn't be here..so Target,Sallys,Walmart or Whole foods for hair things for now on.

Keen

I only have the one on my avatar up. Which is pretty old. you can use that one. I don't want anything from my FB account used because they have my face in it...

LunadeMiel

I don't have anything recent on here. I have an old picture on here from when I was pregnant (I think this was back in april). If you want a newer one, since my hair is longer let me know.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
Carisa - oh gosh, I have to try to take a good hair pic. I have 2 in my phone but they are pretty crappy. I'll try to take some over the weekend.

Tamster

SmilingElephant that is a wONDERFUL idea. i was thinking conf call, but i understand that could be problematic. the chatroom is a great idea. we should schedule a time for this week and get an agenda together...

Carisa

@2Cute! @8HoursFromHome @adalexandria @AdoraAdora24 @AltheaGarden @amwcah @andromeda @ANUBIS @ashleymichelle1 @beana @Beany @blaqharmoni @Bnster @BostonMaria @brg240 @Brighteyes35 @Bubblingbrownshuga @BullGirl2010 @calmsensual1 @Cendra @chellero @CocoaPebbles @CocoT @coyacoy @crimsonvixen @curlyninjagirl @DaiseeDay @destine2grow @Ebony Majesty @faithVA @feelfree @fifi134 @Firstborn2 @French Rouge @fuchsiastar @GoddessMaker @Guitarhero @Honey Bee @Honi @Ivonnovi @Jharianna @keepithealthy @Kimgirl50 @Kimiche @kinchen @KiSseS03 @Lila25 @Lita @Miss*Tress @Ms. Martina @NaijaNaps @naturalgyrl5199 @NewYorkgyrl @Nikki_Lee @OndoGirl @Optimus_Prime @PikiNiki @qchelle @RarityFluttershy @Raspberry @Rina88 @Roux @sharentu @sharifeh @sharmeans @SherylsTresses @SmileyNY @SmilingElephant @Southernbella. @Sugarysweetie @Sunshine_One @SVT @tiffers @upscale0198 @wednesday @Xaragua @xcuzememiss @Z-kitty @TrueBeliever @BlackPearl1 @blacksapphire @changedname @Chelzcheryl26 @Day Dreamer @LadyPaniolo @divachyk @divinempressEisani @blackeyes31626 @Brighteyes35 @cmw45 @flowinlocksgreenandchic @Hersheygurl @heyfranz @MyAngelEyez~C~U @Papoose @RarityFluttershy @Ravengirl @Samoneisthebest @larry3344 @tdacallie @txcurly10 @WanakeeWannaBe @Keshieshimmer @JJamiah @curlycrocheter

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

The "Stop the B.S.S." facebook group is now open. There are a few "like" pages and a group page that will pop up when you use the fb search engine (there are currently 60 members in the group). If you are unable to find this title in the search engine you could friend request me (my name is chanelle chanele, link below) and I will add you. Please also include your lhcf screen name so I won’t email you this same info again
http://www.facebook.com/groups/196038353807457/members/#!/profile.php?id=100000777037327

Also let me know if I could use your hair pictures in our photo section on fb. This fb page is still considered a closed group to others who have not joined meaning they can only see the page but not any of the post or pictures and even when you join the group, no one will be able to see your fb information unless you choose to friend request members of the group individually.

Last edited:

Tamster

Ladies how does an hour long chatroom session starting at 9PM Central Standard Time tomorrow sound ? is that too short notice?

I would like to get all the different groups together and finalize the message and clear a few things up about what kind of message we are making.

tiffers SmilingElephant Carisa