Keeping Lngth & Healthier Hair: Wash Daily, Or Every 2 Weeks? Which is most effective

Retaining Length AND Healthier hair which is best?

• Wash Daily

Votes: 236 37.9%
  • Wash Every 2 weeks (or less frequently)

Votes: 211 33.9%
  • I havent the slightest

Votes: 176 28.3%

• Total voters
Re: Keeping Lngth & Healthier Hair: Wash Daily, Or Every 2 Weeks? Which is most effec

Daily has worked for me. I know for sure I can't go further than a week. Since I have been washing daily my hair has been healthier and more moisturized. I've also had less breakage.

Re: Keeping Lngth & Healthier Hair: Wash Daily, Or Every 2 Weeks? Which is most effec

I do once a week now. But if I had to choose, I would go two weeks. For one, I don't have time for daily wash. And second, all that detangling would kill my poor hair. My hair grows great without the extra washing, so 2 weeks would be the way to go.

I wash daily. It's been working very well for me.

Since we have to pick either of the two, I would pick every two weeks, OP.

But, personally, just to throw it out there, I like to wash 1-2 times weekly.

If I had to choose, I'd say daily because I've seen more success with daily washing versus long stretches of no washing. Just yesterday there was a thread where a lady didn't wash her hair for 3 weeks and had mega shedding.

In addition to shedding issues, my hair gets dry and unmanageable if I go 14 days without washing it. Plus, it certainly won't smell fresh. :down:

I think there's a happy medium of about twice a week but daily is better than once a month, IMO.

Agree with everything you said.

I have been experimenting with not washing/combing for two weeks and my hair has been suffering. I am going back to my version of the C&G method and washing/conditioning daily to get my hair back on track.

It depends on your hair. My hair was its healthiest when I wash it twice a week. My roommate's hair can handle being washed every two weeks with minimal breakage and shedding. I'd say try different frequency for a month or two and see how your hair react.

It really depends on the person I guess as a relaxed head once per week is plenty/best for me. Twice at the most in summer or sweating a lot. as a natural I wet (washed or conditioned )my hair every few days. My hair grew like a weed and had no type of hair issues.

out of the two i would pick every day. by one week i can smell my scalp oils and it dosent smell good. i would go every two weeks if my hair was apl or longer because my hair would be up and the scalp smell wouldnt be noticeable at all.

I voted every 2 weeks.

Daily washing wrecked havoc on my hair...breakage, dryness, and tangles galore!

Same here. I will never wash daily again unless i want to be bald.

What about washing once a week? if you're not applying a lot of products I don't think it needs to be washed everyday.

Every two weeks.

I have natural type 4 a/b hair and daily manipulation would lead to breakage over time.

I conditioner wash daily, but I shampoo wash once a week. It is had helped me to keep my length.

I can't wash daily and I can't wait 2 weeks in between either (itchy scalp)...for me once or twice a week is fine.

It's impossible to wash every day when it takes 10+ hours for your hair to dry...:look:

What about washing once a week? if you're not applying a lot of products I don't think it needs to be washed everyday.

Oh im not looking for a solution, just seeing what people think is more imporatant---cleaner hair, or low manipulation....or what people think is more effective in a hypothetical situation

If given a choice, every two weeks definitely!:yep:

Such a timely question, Fluffylocks! I'm experimenting with a two-week wash for the first time since 2005. I lightly spritz with plain water prior to moisturizing and sealing with oil daily. So far, so good.
I have done both daily and multiple washes, but tangles / manipulation prevented me from retaining optimal growth. When I switched to washing once a week, that has proven to be the most effective for me, both for retention and health.

I'm curious about the 2-week wash, so I have decided to try it during the later weeks of my stretches. Honestly though, I am afraid that my ends may dry out. For that reason, I plan to do intense steam treatments, and do occassional night-time baggies. After typing all of that, I hesistantly reply to a combo of both...low manip, while keeping scalp clean and ends in tact.

Last edited:

I would wash every two weeks.

No manipulation works better for my hair. I typically wash every week though.

I cw daily now and my hair is very healthy. But even when I used to wash every 2 weeks(or sometimes longer! :eek: )my hair was just as healthy.

I wash my hair once a week. That's what helped me keep my hair on my head. I tried to do that wash 3x out the week thing and it did not work for me. i had to go with what my hair agreed with.

I voted for daily washing! I cowash daily (poo 1x week), but since I've started my hair journey 6 months ago my hair is wonderful. It's growing (have at least 4 inches of new growth - oh I'm transitioning) and it looks and feels so much healthier. :grin:

Such a timely question, Fluffylocks! I'm experimenting with a two-week wash for the first time since 2005. I lightly spritz with plain water prior to moisturizing and sealing with oil daily. So far, so good.
I have done both daily and multiple washes, but tangles / manipulation prevented me from retaining optimal growth. When I switched to washing once a week, that has proven to be the most effective for me, both for retention and health.

I'm curious about the 2-week wash, so I have decided to try it during the later weeks of my stretches. Honestly though, I am afraid that my ends may dry out. For that reason, I plan to do intense steam treatments, and do occassional night-time baggies. After typing all of that, I hesistantly reply to a combo of both...low manip, while keeping scalp clean and ends in tact.
I don't think you'll have to worry about that at all. When I stretch washes my ends are super moisturized and never dry. As long as you're moisturizing them they should stay in great condition this way.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that at all. When I stretch washes my ends are super moisturized and never dry. As long as you're moisturizing them they should stay in great condition this way.

Pokahontas, since I am aspiring to have your wonderful length, and health....I concede to your expertise. :yep:

Pokahontas, since I am aspiring to have your wonderful length, and health....I concede to your expertise. :yep:
Thanks. Seriously, do what works best for you though. It does take trial and error so try it out and see how you like it.

My hair is prone to tangles too, and it also breaks easy.

3/4 of my favorite hair heads with BSL-WSL hair do this also, I remember when i was younger and had the longest hair every my mom washed every 2 weeks and kept in braids/twits or ponytails.

When i had my cornrows for 2 weeks and didnt bother my hair at all---my hair felt really good :yep:

I might experiment with this with my hair out, and just clean daily/every other day with something like seabreaze.

I wash 1x a week now, but im looking into to find a regimen that i can keep forever and i really love simplicity, and that when im older with WL hair (God willing)...im not going to be washing daily, 2-3x weekly or none of that.

Thanks. Seriously, do what works best for you though. It does take trial and error so try it out and see how you like it.

I wish I listened to you all these while pokahontas (just kidding), but really I just found out detangling hair regularly is a no no for me. I have retained more in the last 2 months of washing every two weeks, than I have retained in the last 6 months of washing bi-weekly.
But everyone is different, for me no washing earlier than 1 week.

I voted every 2 weeks by mistake but I think every week is the way to go

Daily would be just too much manipulation...unless your hair was in tip top shape. For my case, my thin and fine hair does not like dialy washing...ew 2 weeks is just nasty...but I'd rather go with two weeks. My hair would break horribly if I washed each day...but hey if differs person to person

I do once a week now. But if I had to choose, I would go two weeks. For one, I don't have time for daily wash. And second, all that detangling would kill my poor hair.

Me, too. Unless my hair was braided and I redid the braids often or something. Or if I wanted to grow locs I would wash everyday. Otherwise, detangling that frequently would leave me bald. In fact, I think my hair can go 2 weeks no problem, but my scalp can't. So I do once a week.

I think most of the ladies with longer hair take longer breaks between washes just because it's so much WORK. Unless you WnG everyday or just throw it up in a bun, it's a hassle.

I co-wash every day to every other day because I exercise. My hair literally wet with sweat when I'm done, and I'm just not comfortable leaving that on my head. However, I compromise by wearing protective styles, and only finger combing my hair in the shower. I detangle with a shower comb maybe once a week. My hair has been softer since I began this, but I think you have to be very careful with the manipulation - esp if you have more than one texture.

The longest I've gone w/o washing since I began exercising more regularly is 3 days, and that's to preserve a curlformer set.

Back