Keratin Treatment Support Thread

caliscurls

I have a question for all you fine haired ladies... What has your result been from the BKT? Do you think it made your hair more succeptable to heat damage/thin ends/breakage than someone with thicker strands?

krissyc39 not at all. My hair is extremely healthy and I use heat responsibly during the treatment and in general (I flat iron OR tension blow dry every two weeks). That said I'm guessing that for some who do experience breakage or thinning it could be from one or more of the following
- too many passes of the flat iron during the treatment (I only use 1)
- using extremely high heat during the treatment (I don't go above 380 and yesterday did it on 350. Still turned out great)
- using extremely high heat in general (like I mentioned I use heat regularly. When I flat iron between treatments it's on 300 or lower)
- not using heat protectants
- technique....excessive brushing during the treatment yanking or breaking hair or not detangling thoroughly beforehand making it hard to comb the treatment through and of course resulting in breakage
- thinking it will fix or mask already damaged hair
- thinking the treatment makes hair heat proof
- using a product that just doesn't work for them...Napp has tried everything under the sun :) she can give you a run down of the good, bad, and the ugly
- and lastly what works for some doesn't work for everyone...everyone's hair is different. One could be doing everything right and it's just not the right thing for their hair

Hope this helps

krissyc39

It does! Thank you. Did you do the treatment yourself? I was thinking about getting it done professionally because I saw a groupon on it but I'm not sure if they would only have the pass go once. It would be nice to have the control of doing it myself but I dont think I have that internal trust lol

caliscurls

krissyc39 yes, it's actually pretty easy. For me it's way easier than doing a relaxer. I'm will come back a bit later and post a couple of threads that may help.

krissyc39

I don't know about all brands but Dreamhair is the DEBIL!!!!!! It makes your hair luxurious at first but then it turns to mush and poop on the ends. I have been growing my treatment out for over two years. It never "washed out" or reverted.

Dreamhair = awful. Got it :)

caliscurls

Napp

Ms. Nobody
krissyc39 not at all. My hair is extremely healthy and I use heat responsibly during the treatment and in general (I flat iron OR tension blow dry every two weeks). That said I'm guessing that for some who do experience breakage or thinning it could be from one or more of the following
- too many passes of the flat iron during the treatment (I only use 1)
- using extremely high heat during the treatment (I don't go above 380 and yesterday did it on 350. Still turned out great)
- using extremely high heat in general (like I mentioned I use heat regularly. When I flat iron between treatments it's on 300 or lower)
- not using heat protectants
- technique....excessive brushing during the treatment yanking or breaking hair or not detangling thoroughly beforehand making it hard to comb the treatment through and of course resulting in breakage
- thinking it will fix or mask already damaged hair
- thinking the treatment makes hair heat proof
- using a product that just doesn't work for them...Napp has tried everything under the sun :) she can give you a run down of the good, bad, and the ugly
- and lastly what works for some doesn't work for everyone...everyone's hair is different. One could be doing everything right and it's just not the right thing for their hair

Hope this helps

This was a well written post!:yep:

caliscurls

Finally washed the treatment out last night with Naturelle Grow Lemon Detox conditioning wash and then deep conditioned with keratin complex vanilla been DC. I usually use a Naturelle Grow DC but was curious if I could tell the difference with a bkt specific one. My hair seems stronger but I just did a QOD treatment so the jury is out. I added the rest to an open container of Herbal Blends and will continue to use it every other wash.

I'd be interested I hearing if others see benefits in using bkt specific products. The other product I'm eyeing is the Chi Keratin serum.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
This may sound a little crazy but i was thinking of using those CWK plates that knbradley is talking about. it looks like it would get the hair really smooth and all the heat that would be needed for an at home BKT would be a few passes of the flat iron to seal it in. I am anxiously awaiting whats in store. I wish her the best!

Dove56

Dove56 yes, I use the technique I think biancalyse (sp?) posted in the QOD thread - a dab at the root, a dab in the middle, a dab towards the end, then comb through starting at the ends. Seems like you wouldn't get good coverage but it works every time.

caliscurls

I just did a QOD Organiq treatment today and I only did one pass like you and I reduced the heat to 340 degrees. I used a slightly different method this time and it worked great.

First of all, the method was not intentional. I thought my little keratin shot bottle (2oz) had more keratin so I was shocked to find out I only had about half a bottle. I was going to do the roots only so I figured I'd be okay. Anyhoo, I did the roots initially using a very light brush then I combed the product all down from the roots to the ends. I spread that treatment OUT lol.

This is the lightest brush of QOD Organiq I've done and my results are the best yet AND my dyed black hair (first 3 inches from the root is my natural hair color, the rest is dyed black over level 5 color) did not lift and lighten :superbanana: . :) My hair was the easiest it's been to blowdry since I first did this treatment back in Sept 2011. This stuff really is concentrated. :yep: I have VERY dense, super thick, medium textured 3c hair (very top layer is 2c) and I only used an 1 ounce!

Last edited:

Soratachi

This may sound a little crazy but i was thinking of using those CWK plates that knbradley is talking about. it looks like it would get the hair really smooth and all the heat that would be needed for an at home BKT would be a few passes of the flat iron to seal it in. I am anxiously awaiting whats in store. I wish her the best!

You read my mind!!!

I was thinking to use the plates with BKT under a hooded dryer, then 2 passes with the flat iron to seal it in.

Kitamita

Hi ladies ,

I was wondering if the is a keratin treatmet/brand that I can do at home around $50-$60. But works well and last awhile, I am on a tight budget but I am at a point where I need help managing my hair (entangle, frizzy, etc.).

Tia

xxinsanexxchels

Hi ladies ,

I was wondering if the is a keratin treatmet/brand that I can do at home around $50-$60. But works well and last awhile, I am on a tight budget but I am at a point where I need help managing my hair (entangle, frizzy, etc.).

Tia

I used the softliss Marine Algae Kit with a red hair dye beforehand (not Henna) in March and its now May and my hair still feels soft and silky curly or straight i HAVE A LOT OF NEW GROWTH that I am going to touch up soon with the other half of the product that I have left but I'm not sure when. I also have been retaining length but I got a sew-in put in in the beginning of April and only my leave out can be looked at but my roots are black so I can track my growth somewhat.

Dove56

Hi ladies ,

Tia

I love Qod Max Organiq and Design Essentials Transitioning Mousse. I ordered some Liquid Keratin 60 day treatment to test on some of my hair that I didn't get to saturate enough last week because I didn't have enough treatment.

***Edited to add additional content***

I love the Liquid Keratin 60 day treatment. So far so good. :yep: It's another cysteine treatment that you wash out immediately after the treatment. I did one pass at the root at 340 degrees only on the upper right side of my hair that I ran out of QOD keratin on.

Last edited:

Lucia

does anyone know if it's safe to do a sew in after a bkt?
sharifeh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is why I had to cut my at the time WL hair back to BSL please read my blog here or fotki I have pics and I posted about this here

Last edited:

Kitamita

I was thinking the same thing! I 're want to try them. :)

Lucia

Lucia i read your blog you said bkt damaged your hair but no details what happened? :(
sharifeh Oops I thought I had the whole story posted Sum up I did a bkt looked great straight then when I went back to curly I noticed my hair was limp wavy almost straight and dry super dry I conditioned braided it under a weave and them took it down to find my hair thinner dryer and ends splitting rough etc. I guess it went under the weave more damaged than I thought So I went into super DC damage control mode and cut back from WL to top of BSL that's about 6-8 inches on me This happened a while ago but I thought I had pics in my fotki Be careful those miracle products ARE to good to be true. HHG

Last edited:

xxinsanexxchels

I still believe in softliss my bkt is STILL in my hair and my hair usually sheds a lot and has not shed excessively anymore since I got it back in March my hair is much healthier and the porosity that makes me such a dry 3b3c4a is eliminated so my hair stays straight and moisturized for daysss I flat iron once every 2 weeks

Last edited:

ljones4521

Ladies,

I just want to share my experience with a recent BKT treatment in case others are having similar situations.

I had a BKT applied and regrettably I did not recognize I was allergic to the product. I experienced incredible breakage, long (8"+) clumps of strands, beautiful handfuls of curly coils. My hair was a matted and tangled mess. My neck was breaking out where the hair rubbed my neck and back. I have never had an allergic reaction to any product, so I did not recognize the signs.

To combat the stickiness, tangles and matted hair, I finally did a GHE for 24hrs straight.That yielded great results. My hair improved immediately. It was soft and a lot less tangled and matted. There was still tangles and matts, but much less so. The more I kept it conditioned and GHE the better the results. Within five days my hair seemed to have rebounded and was 'normal' again. However, I continued to break out and finally put the dots together that I was allergic to the product.

I washed the product out and all of the shedding and breakage stopped immediately. Haven't experienced any negative effects.

This is the product that was applied.
http://alphasalvatorecorallo.com/infusion-smoothing-pomegranate/

I plan to try QOD Organix next.

Last edited:

caliscurls

ljones4521 wow I hope you didn't lose too much hair. Good thinking on how to get it under control with the moisture treatments. That's a tip we should all put in our mental file cabinet for these treatments.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I am so sick of trying different formulas and being dissapointed at the results. Nothing has worked as well as a formaldehyde containing keratin but except maybe qod. I just want the frizz free curls and easy styling.