Kimmaytube is back

songbird8

She isn't condescending in this video to me, but if I was sitting beside her and she was saying some of this in person I would be like 'wtf wrong with you.' :lachen;

I'm a big fan of hers, and I really like her. She's unusual though.

She does come off a little uppity in hair vids, but I think her financial series was very open and honest and helpful for people.

I find her slightly unlikeable but I love her snobby behind :)

that's what it is!!! she's a bit uppity, i could never put my finger on what it was about her that rubs me the wrong way. but i just take the meat and throw away the bones, her vids are informative so i watch and kim.

HappilyLiberal

Her hair is lovely and I really like her hair products too.

Rozlewis

So you've tried the hair products she created? Do they work? Can you give us more details? I liked the leave-in she created with Kinky-Curly Knot Today; but I wasn't sure about anything she created on her own. That's why I have not ordered anything from her.

HappilyLiberal

As for her being uppity... it appears she's "too uppity" to sleep with and get pregnant for another woman's husband. I'll take that kind of uppity all day! Also, it seems that many of the naturals who went in on her over that Taren mess still haven't reached her length. So, I like that she moved on and kept doing her thing!

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Wow! She has retained very well.

She's a business owner and I'd presume a busy wife & mother who has a gym workout schedule so I am definitely impressed that she hasn't had any major set backs. I could never follow her regimen of 95% protective styles (without extensions) and no heat since I like to keep up with hair trends too much.

I'm very confused by the "uppity" and "condescending" labels. These labels ring of the same "she sounds White" remarks that many of us despise hearing. She seems to be all about her business, which I find commendable.

overtherainbow

I don't think it's that she "sounds white" or just too proper. It's the way she over annunciates and states the obvious very slowly as if she's talking to toddlers. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe she is catering to non English speakers. Also, I doubt she means to come off this way. She just has one of those personalities.

That being said, I'm still rooting for Kimmay and I'm glad she's making a comeback. I hope she continues to uploaded consistently.

nlamr2013

No offense but black women calling another black woman uppity seems like crabs in a barrel a bit to me. No direct offense intended.
I'm feeling like a Stan or something lol because I really am not getting all the ill feelings about the way she is speaking. Do you all not like how the video is just straight business no side talk? Say for example like Whitney from naptural85. Her videos can be funny but sometime it's just like girl this is not your vlog please stop the weirdness and bad jokes and get on with it lol
I will say when she first mentioned her ancestry results that 'yeah' sounded odd but that could be from aggregation over being asked if you're bi/multiracial due solely to the growth of hair.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
She's said many times that she speaks deliberately so that all of her customers and subs understand her. Not everyone that subscribes are native English speakers. Plus, she hasn't made a video in a long time, I think she just wanted her video to be concise and easy to follow.

Maynard

Love Kimmaytube and I am glad she is back. I love that she talks like the professional woman she is. ;-)

RockRideTrue

I'm getting that crabs in a barrel mentality too from this thread. It's messy. She's back, good for her. She and Beautifulbrwnbabydoll have always been some of my fave youtubers content wise. I hope she stays away from the drama, do her thang business wise, and KIM over this "I don't like this and that about you..." I'm sure she sleeps fine at night, and she can easily get her viewership back when she wants. What have you been doing with your day?

BostonMaria

As for her being uppity... it appears she's "too uppity" to sleep with and get pregnant for another woman's husband. I'll take that kind of uppity all day! Also, it seems that many of the naturals who went in on her over that Taren mess still haven't reached her length. So, I like that she moved on and kept doing her thing!

Ouch! LOL :lachen:
She has surpassed Taren as well.

It goes to show you that hair type doesn't always equal to a certain hair length. She's 4a and I'm 3c. We've both been on this journey for the same number of years, but her hair is way longer than mine. I like how she broke it down with her 23andme results LOL I got my DNA results through them as well.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
She's a new mommy?! Go girl! Yeah I'mma need her to talk about how she got that "SnapBack" lol Her tummy is so flat!

Hair wise: Beautiful!

SelahOco

Wow! She has retained very well.

She's a business owner and I'd presume a busy wife & mother who has a gym workout schedule so I am definitely impressed that she hasn't had any major set backs. I could never follow her regimen of 95% protective styles (without extensions) and no heat since I like to keep up with hair trends too much.

I'm very confused by the "uppity" and "condescending" labels. These labels ring of the same "she sounds White" remarks that many of us despise hearing. She seems to be all about her business, which I find commendable.

Naw, she doesn't sound white. I think most women here aren't ascribe to that kid of thinking.

She can get a little greasy and talk slick in her videos.

"This is the last time Im going to say this. if you read the description box before leaving a comment you'd see I answered that."

The average person doesn't say stuff like that to their 'viewers.'

In one video she mentioned that she has never failed at anything she tried to do, and I often wonder if she came from a less fortunate situation and just had to fight her way thru things. Sometimes people like that give off elitism or come off a little judgy.

That said, in her financial series she really talks about her own shortcomings and things she had to learn. In her hair videos though, she can be. Little snappy in her comments to people, and she's gone back to delete some of them.

Like I said, I like her, but I understand why she comes off as condescending to folks. She's not the loveable cuddly type.

If she was man, she'd probably wouldn't get called on it as much.

I also think she has tempered herself ALOT since that bit of drama she was in with Taren and African Export. All of that was very ego driven, which is what people used to see in her.

ETA: I'm very surprised by the crab in the barrel comments. LHCF can be messy, but I find the women here generally supportive and wanting to see black women win.

Last edited:

PatTodd

She talking like her viewers are dumb. This is the first time I've heard her speak like that. I was like, why is she talking like that????? :lachen:

This is what I mean by condescending. I believe she is very smart and talented but would be even more successful if her tone were different. Your mileage may vary.

ETA: I didn't read the whole thread before I replied. I have no issue with her enunciation. I feel some kind of way about her tone of voice and the things she says: "at 86%, I am probably more African than you ". What? I just didn't see the need to communicate in that way. But then again I am not one to ever question whether someone is mixed because their hair is long. Maybe someone needed to hear that...it wasn 't me. Carry on.

Last edited:

kandake

I've been following her hair journey since the beginning and I'm so happy that she's achieved and surpassed her hair goals. I'm amazed at how long her hair has grown.

Last edited:

D.N.A.

I know right! She should talk about her fitness. that’s what I always wait for when she makes a video
Yup. I would love to see that. I think I remember seeing a video a while ago with a short clip of her in the gym lifting weights. She is fit and has a very cute shape. :yep: Anyway, I look forward to seeing more from her.

nubiennze

Her hair absorbs so much water when it's wet this low porosity hair of mine when it's wet I get half a inch difference lool

I never thought of it that way, but I think you're onto something.

I was always flummoxed as to how everyone else came up with 75-80% shrinkage (not to mention sorely disappointed looking for a dramatic difference between my own wet and dry hair :lol:). I never thought to attribute it to porosity.

meka72

I don't think that I've ever watched any of her videos before but didn't find her tone to be condescending. I did however think the DNA portion of the video was...odd. Perhaps she wanted to address the myth that African descended people can't grow long hair? Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and reasonable minds can disagree.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
I think her "over enunciation" has to do with the line of work that she is/was in as well. I don't get condescending from this video, but the KT of old was definitely abrasive and condescending in how she responded to her subscribers/viewers, so I can get how people feel the way they feel about her.

At any rate, this video had a purpose. She's a serious business woman.

LovelyNaps26

some of you who are puzzled about the condescending comments might want to search old threads on her. threads have been lock and poofed due to a number of factors. there was also the tremendous dust up with her and Taren196 (2010 i believe) a few years back that has colored her negatively in the eyes of some.

i personally didn't mind the personality issue b/c i watched her channel to learn how to grow out my hair. i modeled my reggie after her in 2010/2011 and wore protective styles 95% of the time until I was just past APL. after that i felt comfortable doing other things while still retaining length. i have an okay sized channel (10k subs) and when asked about hair vloggers i refer folks to her channel b/c her vids are way more organized than mine :lol:

mz.rae

Happy to see that she is back!! I enjoyed this video and actually enjoy listening to her talk and appreciate that she is straight forward. I can't wait to see more videos that she puts out, I was wondering where she went.

bydebra

Ouch! LOL :lachen:
She has surpassed Taren as well.

It goes to show you that hair type doesn't always equal to a certain hair length. She's 4a and I'm 3c. We've both been on this journey for the same number of years, but her hair is way longer than mine. I like how she broke it down with her 23andme results LOL I got my DNA results through them as well.

Taren isn't on a length journey. She just cut her hair again. I'm not trying to pit the two against each other, but Taren wears her hair out every day and still retains length.

Anyhow, I never stopped following Kimmaytube. She posts some videos on her Luv Naturals channel. I've been waiting on her to officially launch her next venture, hairLuv. I'm looking forward to it.

ETA: I didn't realize she talked about hairLUV in this video.

Last edited:

greenandchic

Glad to see her back!

I think so people see her as "condescending" because she tends to have a "finger snap" approach and even a hint of frustration in some of her presentations. Its not really her latest video, but I've seen it in some older ones. It doesn't bother me or take it personally but I see where it could rub some the wrong way.

She's also not warm and cuddly as say, TheHappyHairShow as some other BFF type YouTubers.

Last edited: