Kinky-Curly Products

angellazette

Since I"m over 6 months post, I was looking at her products and thinking about trying them since I really don't have any styling products. Her before and after photo is crazy!

Anyway, I remember reading good things about the curling custard so I had already planned to try it. I noticed she mentioned the Curling Custard can be used with the Knot Today leave in, or any regular conditioner that is not fully rinsed out. She also has the Gloss Pomade for shine and smoothing. I already have Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixir but I'm still interested in trying it. Lastly, she has the Spiral Spritz that is used to revive the curls.

Has anyone tried these other products?

Kinky-Curly Products

Millahdoowop

I'm liking this whole curling custard thing. It's much cheaper than the curling pudding from the curve salon and it looks like it pretty much does the same thing. And she's based out here in Cali. Hmmm... I think I might try this whenever I get more money.

ArrrBeee

I really like Curling Custard but at $35 a pop, I need something cheaper. I now use Smooth N Shine curl activator. For me the end result is the same and I have more money in my pocket :).

aminata

I like the curling custard. The pomade is okay. I've only used it a couple of times, a little goes a longs ways. As for the spiral spray--it's okay. I would not buy it again. Overall curling custard is the only product from her line that I really like (and jojoba jelly--no longer available).

carrie

I LOVE curling custard on my 4a/b hair. The knot today detangles it beautifully and also works well on my Indian Hair weave.

Kitkat

I'd wear my hair in wash-and-go styles more often if I had something to define my curls. Maybe I'll check out the Curling Custard. Too often, products say that they'll define curls when they just make the hair crunchy and hard.

aminata

In my experience Curling Custard can weigh hair down and add a little crunch if too much product is applied. I use it lightly--if I put too much it takes longer for my hair to dry and it looks a bit flat.

I section my hair into three parts and add just a little to each section.
This is my favorite product.
When I use gel my hair always feels a little bit dry.

curlilocs

angellazette said:
$35? The price on the site says 16 oz. $22.

Once you add shipping charges you'll be paying $32, but a little goes a long way. I've used it a couple of times and so far so good.

JamericanGurl

I've tried everything!

Kinky Curly defines, but is too goopy! Great Moisture though!

I'm back to Miss Jessie's Products....I can't find anything and I do mean anything that I like better!

I do like BBD Curling Glass....But....Curly Pudding all the way for me! It's the only thing that elongates (sp) my curl good.

L

lkg4healthyhair

aminata said:
In my experience Curling Custard can weigh hair down and add a little crunch if too much product is applied. I use it lightly--if I put too much it takes longer for my hair to dry and it looks a bit flat.

I section my hair into three parts and add just a little to each section.
This is my favorite product.
When I use gel my hair always feels a little bit dry.

This is true. The first time I used the Curling Custard. I used too much and my hair took forever to dry and it was very very crunchy the next day. But the curls were amazing and I am relaxed.

Now i use the Jane Carter Solution on my hair and use the Curling Custard in small amounts to scrunch the hair.

angellazette

Ok ladies, I used the curling custard and spiral spritz on my nape area tonight.

My hair was shinier and has less frizz. You can definately tell the difference between the before and after photos in my album. There were still some parts to the left that were a little wet, but everything to the right is dry. I think this is a keeper for me! Now I just need to try the products all over.

P

patient1

I like the Curling Custard. When used properly (her directions are pretty on point) it performs beautifully. What I like most is the moisture it provides. I can't imagine it leaving the hair dry due to the formulation. Finding the right way to use it on your hair is a definite.

I get compliments and inquiries everytime i use it on wash and go's, twist-outs, braid outs,whatever. I never used spiral spritz. I don't think Knot today is necessary (only used it once) and the gloss pomade is nice to rub through on old twistouts, etc. but not vital either. I do like the consistency/smell.

Hope to help!
*Patient*

P.S. Lurker no more! YAY!!

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I plan on trying this soon but there are a few similar products from other product lines and I havent been able to decide between them.

patient1 said:

Thanx for coming out in the light!!

angellazette

patient1 said:
I like the Curling Custard. When used properly (her directions are pretty on point) it performs beautifully. What I like most is the moisture it provides. I can't imagine it leaving the hair dry due to the formulation. Finding the right way to use it on your hair is a definite.

I get compliments and inquiries everytime i use it on wash and go's, twist-outs, braid outs,whatever. I never used spiral spritz. I don't think Knot today is necessary (only used it once) and the gloss pomade is nice to rub through on old twistouts, etc. but not vital either. I do like the consistency/smell.

Hope to help!
*Patient*

No I meant dry as in...finished setting...not dry as in lack of moisture. It definately doesn't leave the hair dry in that aspect. I didn't buy the other products either because I didn't think they were vital...a good leave in and good serum/pomade should get the same results.

P

patient1

Hi Angellazette:

Another poster complained about the dryness. I didn't get that from your post. I don't see how it could dry crispy because it has pectin in it (used in creating jellies/jams). Perhaps layered with the wrong product it could dry crispy or if it's UNDERused.

It's been my experience that it actually draws moisture out of the air and into my hair. In my place of work I would touch my hair and it would feel damp.

Here's a couple of methods i've used with the custard:

Wash hair, condition, put a generous amount of custard into hair. Brush and comb through and comb back. Use clips to hold hair into position and sit under dryer.

(This would elongate the curls in my natural hair and generally keep the hair weighted down and showing length).

Wash hair and condition, apply a generous amount of custard to hair. Flat twist hair, clip as necessary and sit under hooded dryer.

This made for a nice twist out look with more lenght than usual and more weight.

Hope to help.

+patient1+

angellazette

patient1 said:
Hi Angellazette:

Another poster complained about the dryness. I didn't get that from your post. I don't see how it could dry crispy because it has pectin in it (used in creating jellies/jams). Perhaps layered with the wrong product it could dry crispy or if it's UNDERused.

Oh ok!

patient1 said:
It's been my experience that it actually draws moisture out of the air and into my hair. In my place of work I would touch my hair and it would feel damp.

I noticed that today too!

P

patient1

I never tried the miss jessies products. Since the curling custard was created by a woman of color with unrelaxed loooooooong hair, i opted for her product over the other creators. I guess I'll await the answer too. . .

asummertyme

humph...still waiting yall...i will have to check out that site,cause i love the curly pudding..but i am looking for a cheaper alternative.

aminata

I've never tried curly pudding... that said I like curling custard because my hair feels healthy. For wash-n-gos I've used gel in the past --but the only problem was dryness. With curling custard my hair always feels moisturized. I'm transitioning and it seems to work well on both texures of hair blending them together.

I've also used this product for twist outs--good results. But I will also say I've done twists outs only using conditioner so I'm not sure how important product is.

For 'shingling' curly custard works well too.

The next time I'm in LA I will pick up another jar and the knot today.

balisi

For those ladies who asked about how Kinky-Curly compares to Miss Jessie's products, I use both and find that they simply give different results. I get greater elongation and moisture from KC products, but it also gives a flatter look, with very little to no volume (it's easy to apply too much). It gives more of wet look than Ms. J's and can make your hair look "jherri curlish." Ms. J's works great for shingling, but dries crisp and with a fair amount of shrinkage. It dries with a nice sheen though. I've gotten the best results by first fingerstyling/shingling with Ms. J's and then lightly applying Curling Custard to the underneath layers for greater elongation, especially since those parts of my hair have tighter curl. For sleeping, I carefully tuck my hair into a satin bonnet, and in the morning lightly re-wet in the shower, shake a little and go. This method has given me up to four day hair. :)

JamericanGurl

balisi said:
For those ladies who asked about how Kinky-Curly compares to Miss Jessie's products, I use both and find that they simply give different results. I get greater elongation and moisture from KC products, but it also gives a flatter look, with very little to no volume (it's easy to apply too much). It gives more of wet look than Ms. J's and can make your hair look "jherri curlish." Ms. J's works great for shingling, but dries crisp and with a fair amount of shrinkage. It dries with a nice sheen though. I've gotten the best results by first fingerstyling/shingling with Ms. J's and then lightly applying Curling Custard to the underneath layers for greater elongation, especially since those parts of my hair have tighter curl. For sleeping, I carefully tuck my hair into a satin bonnet, and in the morning lightly re-wet in the shower, shake a little and go. This method has given me up to four day hair. :)

I combine the two as well! I found the KC too Goopy and Ms. Jessies you have to apply too much. But I did find out together they work great!

angellazette

The curling custard is a little goopy and takes a while to dry while the citre shine making waves gel dries much quicker and gives a harder hold. I was trying out the curling custard with the citre making waves gel on a section of hair. It seems to cut down on the drying time, gives a nice but not too hard of a hold and stretches the hair just a little more with adding the citre last.

balisi

angellazette said:
The curling custard is a little goopy and takes a while to dry while the citre shine making waves gel dries much quicker and gives a harder hold. I was trying out the curling custard with the citre making waves gel on a section of hair. It seems to cut down on the drying time, gives a nice but not too hard of a hold and stretches the hair just a little more with adding the citre last.
I have the Citre Shine Making Waves gel too, so I will try this! Thanks for the tip!