Ladies that had dryness and breakage that purchased a steamer.....

*Frisky*

Did your hair do a complete turn around? I am having some issues and I am thinking about getting a steamer to see if it will help. I don't want to spend the money if I won't see a substantial difference in my hair..HELP PLEASE!!!

Irresistible

I would try steaming in the bathroom from a hot shower with the door closed first

that should give you a good idea .......right?

dlewis

I have one of those facial steamer things. I wonder if that'll help with your hair? You can find them at Walmart or Walgreens and return if if you don't like the results.

*Frisky*

I would try steaming in the bathroom from a hot shower with the door closed first

that should give you a good idea .......right?

No not really imo..that is not direct steam to the hair and I am looking for simplicity. Sitting under a steamer is less hassle and right to the point.

Irresistible

No not really imo..that is not direct steam to the hair and I am looking for simplicity. Sitting under a steamer is less hassle and right to the point.
oh ok gotcha

there is another steam treatment thread around here

another method

more direct steam like your saying

*Frisky*

I have one of those facial steamer things. I wonder if that'll help with your hair? You can find them at Walmart or Walgreens and return if if you don't like the results.

I have read where some people have used them. I have done the towel thing too but that gets on my nerves sometimes hahahaha...

me-T

no not really. i think i'm the only one who isn't raving about it.
it seems really nice while i'm under the steamer, but once i rinse, it's about the same as a co-wash. not worth the money i spent, time under it, or space it's taking up.
i keep using it though cause i really want it to work to penetrate the moisture, plus i shouldn't have spent that 200-somethin when i did.

eta: i tried the towel thing before, and results were the same. so i got a steamer thinking a real machine would improve things.

Last edited:

taz007

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my steamer! It has helped to turn my hair around.

Off to steam in some conditioner now ...

*Frisky*

no not really. i think i'm the only one who isn't raving about it.
it seems really nice while i'm under the steamer, but once i rinse, it's about the same as a co-wash. not worth the money i spent, time under it, or space it's taking up.
i keep using it though cause i really want it to work to penetrate the moisture, plus i shouldn't have spent that 200-somethin when i did.

eta: i tried the towel thing before, and results were the same. so i got a steamer thinking a real machine would improve things.

oh no:nono:...how long have you been using it?

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my steamer! It has helped to turn my hair around.

Off to steam in some conditioner now ...

What issues were you having with your hair before you start using it?

You could try a heating cap - I use the Mastex heating cap. It's not too expensive either so its a good test product to see if you want to shell out for a proper steamer.

Kerryann

I have a steam cap and i think it works preety good but i say same as you sitting underneath a dryer with the plastic cap on your head not much of a difference

me-T

oh no:nono:...how long have you been using it?

lemme think...i did the towel method every week for a month or 2, and i've had the machine for another month or 2, using weekly.

when i first heard about steaming they said doing so monthly was good, and maybe bi-weekly for really dry hair. so i thought weekly on my EXTRA dry hair would help. i've never had moisture overload. sometimes i want moisture overload:lachen:

Ronnieaj

It's clearly going to be different for every user. I DC with steam every single week. DCing without heat or steam does absolutely nothing for me, and cowashing makes my hair mush. I abhore cowashing. I did the towels and shower cap method, and I actually liked those results too. Great for when I go back to CA for Christmas. For me, having my steamer really softens my hair, makes detangling easier, but I'm not left with overly soft hair. I use it with both moisture and protein DCs, except for the hardcore protein. It has been for me one of my best purchases.

locabouthair

I havent seen a big difference in moisture since using the steamer BUT it does make detangling better. I still have issues with dryness. But I notice the majority of the people on the board that use steamers really love them.

taz007

What issues were you having with your hair before you start using it?
My hair was dry and difficult to detangle. Now, I mix Joico Intense Hydrator, EVOO and Biolage Cera-Repair (the Cera-Repair took my hair to a whole new level) and steam this mix in. I no longer have dry hair.

HTH

*Frisky*

My hair was dry and difficult to detangle. Now, I mix Joico Intense Hydrator, EVOO and Biolage Cera-Repair (the Cera-Repair took my hair to a whole new level) and steam this mix in. I no longer have dry hair.

HTH

This is what I have been thinking..if I find the right product or combo of products to use with the steam, that it will make all the difference. I have put off getting Joico prodcuct but I thinkI going to get some. The Intense Hydrator is first on the list. THANKS!!!

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Hey, babe!!

My steamer has made ALL the difference in my hair. It allows me to detangle my hair in less than 5 minutes. I use it to steam in my protein and moisturizing conditioners. In fact, I used my steamer just last night.

My hair was extremely dry and tangled before I started, but I decided not to detangle it prior to washing it. Instead, I clarified (I had a lot of build-up), then steamed in my Aphogee Keratin 2-Minute Reconstructor, rinsed, then steamed in my Kenra MC.

Once I rinsed the Kenra out, I made sure to do a final rinse with very cool water (not cold, but cool.). When I went to detangle my hair, it was a breeze. I mean, it took me all of 5 minutes total. I always think that I'm going to have problems detangling at the end if I start off with tangled hair. But the combo of the protein treatment coupled with the moisturizing treatment and the steam makes my tangles melt away. It's important to find the right combo of products for your hair.

So yeah ... the steamer has made a world of difference for me and my hair.

*Frisky*

Hey, babe!!

My steamer has made ALL the difference in my hair. It allows me to detangle my hair in less than 5 minutes. I use it to steam in my protein and moisturizing conditioners. In fact, I used my steamer just last night.

My hair was extremely dry and tangled before I started, but I decided not to detangle it prior to washing it. Instead, I clarified (I had a lot of build-up), then steamed in my Aphogee Keratin 2-Minute Reconstructor, rinsed, then steamed in my Kenra MC.

Once I rinsed the Kenra out, I made sure to do a final rinse with very cool water (not cold, but cool.). When I went to detangle my hair, it was a breeze. I mean, it took me all of 5 minutes total. I always think that I'm going to have problems detangling at the end if I start off with tangled hair. But the combo of the protein treatment coupled with the moisturizing treatment and the steam makes my tangles melt away. It's important to find the right combo of products for your hair.

So yeah ... the steamer has made a world of difference for me and my hair.

Hey sis!!!

Did you tell me about this before and I just forgot:laugh:

You will have to let me know what kind you have exactly..

isabella09

A hair steamer for me rates amongst the top hair investments that I’ve made and it has been a fundamental part of my regimen in assisting to transform my hair into the best condition that it has ever been and continues to do so with each use. My hair feel’s much softer, stronger, healthier, locks-in more moisture, shinier and detangles like a dream :cloud9: After doing a steam DC, I do a final rinse with ACV (75ml of ACV to 1 Litre of spring water) which adds in locking in the treatment. Prior to using the steamer, my hair was extremely dry and tangled.

Last edited:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Hey sis!!!

Did you tell me about this before and I just forgot:laugh:

You will have to let me know what kind you have exactly..

I'm not sure if we ever had the steamer conversation or not actually. :laugh:

But anyhoo, this is the one I have. I bought it off ebay some time last year I think.

kasey

Can anyone share any stories on whether their steamer has had an impact on scalp health? Thanks.

Kacie

You can try wrapping your hair in saran wrap, then exercise. This method gives me the best DC's.

ADB

But anyhoo, this is the one I have. I bought it off ebay some time last year I think.

I got that same steamer off Ebay about 2 or 3 years ago.:yep: It still works well too.

SmartyPants

You can try the home grown steam treatment. When I get to the later part of my stretch (over 6 weeks) I use the home grown steam treatment twice a week with Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner (Tuesdays) or Neutrogena Triple Moisture Recovery Hair Mask (Saturday). My hair is doing well with this and I do not have the $$$$ for a steamer. Since this works so well, when I get ready for a new hair dryer I may get a Pibbs instead because I can use that to steam.

It~Can~Grow

Thanks to all the positive reviews on this steamer, (short of space requirements) I took the plung and ordered last night on ebay. $114 and free shipping.

I'm going to try my first 6 month stretch, and because my crown gets so dry by week 14, this will definitely come in handy.

Thanks ladies for all your reviews

Vintageglam

I cannot say enough how beneficial I have found steam treatments to my hair. They litereally changed the health of my hair and scalp. I have fine hair so I suppose I do not have the major detangling issues that I have heard can occur on this board. However my hair can get VERY dry. Steaming completely changed that. Also Kasey my scalp is also very healthy. I suppose the steam must help with toxin removal? Its good you metion scalp health because I think I may add some indian herbs to my steam treatments to also benefit my scalp....

However I do think that using the right DC products is absolutely KEY. The lady whom I get my steam treatments from using a kinda liquidy gel protein and moisture treatment (she will not give up the name..???). I think you want to look for something that will give lots of moisture and slip but with a more liquid consistency so that it can absorb the steam and do its work rather than just sitting there on your head having no effect. As such really thick DC's might not give the same result.

I also have a hookup with a local hairdresser whom allows me to pay and sit under her steamer for a good price and I always mix together mild - medium protein + moisture + my Matrix Biolage Cera Repair Vial +1 tablespoon of my favorite oils (not too much oil or you will have greasy weighed down hair). I adjust the protein and moisture depending on whether my hair needs protein or moisture.

I have also heard that the Joico is good for steaming so when I am at the end of my stash I will maybe look into that as well as the AO and Giovanni products.

Victorian

old head
However I do think that using the right DC products is absolutely KEY. The lady whom I get my steam treatments from using a kinda liquidy gel protein and moisture treatment (she will not give up the name..???). I think you want to look for something that will give lots of moisture and slip but with a more liquid consistency so that it can absorb the steam and do its work rather than just sitting there on your head having no effect. As such really thick DC's might not give the same result.

What color is it? :sekret:
That's interesting insight about the type of conditioner, though. I don't have a steamer, and not sure I can spare the room in my little apartment. But I sure am curious...
I deep con w/my soft bonnet dryer with great results, though. Lately I've been spritzing my hair with water after letting my conditioner soak in, before I turn on the heat, with the hopes that it will increase the steam.