Lawyers To L'oreal: Pull Your Scalp Scalding Relaxer Before It Burns Again!!

Kiadodie

LAWYERS TO L'OREAL PULL YOUR SCALP SCALDING RELAXER Before it Burns Again!!
12/19/2016 3:14 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

The lawyers representing women who claim a L'Oréal hair relaxer burned their head aren't just suing -- now they're demanding an urgent recall of the product.

TMZ broke the story ... L'Oréal was sued for selling a celebrity-backed product called SoftSheen-Carson Optimum Amla Legend No-Mix, No-Lye Relaxer -- which the plaintiffs say singed their scalp and made them go bald.

L'Oréal fired back in docs, saying its packaging warns this very danger, and clearly instructs consumers how to use it safely.

Ben Meiselas and Mark Geragos, who rep the alleged victims, say that's a load of BS ... and add L'Oréal is admitting the product has dangerous chemicals, despite advertising it "protects the scalp and skin."

Geragos' firm says it's downright absurd to blame the women harmed by the product, and they won't relax until the relaxer is completely pulled from the shelves.

A class action suit was filed in September asking for more than $5 mil.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
well they ALL can burn. what makes this formulation different over the others? It's the risk you take when you decide to apply that fake lye (also a highly caustic material) to you scalp and hair. We are all well-versed in this. There's also a warning on the box, so :look:

I used to work at a salon and saw lots of women coming in with bald crowns and the rest see-through due to constant relaxer overprocessing.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
This company has taken full advantage of a woman's insecurities about her hair texture. Not all women can afford the expense of a hair salon. Students, working moms, women who have budgets with limitations for luxuries. Soooo, they rely upon self help products.

I noticed that Amla was mentioned regarding this product. Amla is a potent oil that should NEVER be combined with any caustic or acidic chemicals. The combination is hazardous. The chemical compounds enhance the harsh effects of lye.

The L'Oreal chemists are not ignorant of this and should be held accountable. Knowing these compounds and its adverse reactions, L'Oreal still promoted this product as a cosmetic / a hair solution when instead, the warnings should have been presented first.

This company is totally responsible.

Last edited:

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Wow,I would have never thought amla could do that. In its natural form, it's fine. They don't truly have "amla," my guess. This is awful. Plus, I think these relaxers have changed in recent years to be "less effective" so people are tempted to overuse them ($$). My hair would curl back up but with a weird texture and this never happened 2+ years ago. I have stopped using them. They gave me scab hair that I'm fighting to de-mineralize. I don't know this funky texture of hair lol. It's unruly and strange but swimmer's shampoo + corn syrup is helping and making it soft again. I switched to ammonium thioglycolate base or exothermic perms with thio base for the new growth ( I know not to overlap). One Black stylist says it's better for Black hair because of the acid base. Relaxers are alkaline.

The creamy crack would straighten my hair fast (too fast)...while wet, bone straight but when dry, I got the halo of frizzies within days. Usually, they just eased the curl. I just know I don't want those anymore and prefer a gentle relaxation - not destroy the curl. In other words, honey, I switched to the "reverse perm" or "White lady perm."

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
Wo. I would have never thought amla could do that. In its natural form, it's fine. They don't truly have "amla," my guess. This is awful. Plus, I think these relaxers have changed in recent years to be "less effective" so people are tempted to overuse them ($$). My hair would curl back up but with a weird texture and this never happened 2+ years ago. I have stopped using them. They gave me scab hair that I'm fighting to de-mineralize. I don't know this funky texture of hair lol. It's unruly and strange but swimmer's shampoo + corn syrup is helping and making it soft again. I switched to ammonium thioglycolate base or exothermic perms with thio base for the new growth ( I know not to overlap). One Black stylist says it's better for Black hair because of the acid base. Relaxers are alkaline.

The creamy crack would straighten my hair fast (too fast)...while wet, bone straight but when dry, I got the halo of frizzies within days. Usually, they just eased the curl. I just know I don't want those anymore and prefer a gentle relaxation - not destroy the curl. In other words, honey, I switched to the "reverse perm" or "White lady perm."
Amla is highly acidic, it's very high in vitamin C. That, among it's other properties is a bad combination with any caustic chemical, in this case lye.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Amla is highly acidic, it's very high in vitamin C. That, among it's other properties is a bad combination with any caustic chemical, in this case lye.
Wow,I would have never thought amla could do that. In its natural form, it's fine. They don't truly have "amla," my guess. This is awful. Plus, I think these relaxers have changed in recent years to be "less effective" so people are tempted to overuse them ($$). My hair would curl back up but with a weird texture and this never happened 2+ years ago. I have stopped using them. They gave me scab hair that I'm fighting to de-mineralize. I don't know this funky texture of hair lol. It's unruly and strange but swimmer's shampoo + corn syrup is helping and making it soft again. I switched to ammonium thioglycolate base or exothermic perms with thio base for the new growth ( I know not to overlap). One Black stylist says it's better for Black hair because of the acid base. Relaxers are alkaline.

I looked at the ingredients list. lithium hydroxide is listed. it's corrosive like a regular perm. it's used I place of sodium hydroxide (lye) and just as corrosive, so if amla is acidic too then... who knows.

buyer beware with relaxers at all times despite the slick marketing tag lines and gimmicks.

I did it 25 years and not knocking it, I swear. but every time I picked up a box no matter the brand I knew the risks and suffered them often (scabs, lost hair, soreness).

I do hope they get some money. I never begrudge a bw her coins!

Shimmie

Staff member
I looked at the ingredients list. lithium hydroxide is listed. it's corrosive like a regular perm. it's used I place of sodium hydroxide (lye) and just as corrosive, so if amla is acidic too then... who knows.

buyer beware with relaxers at all times despite the slick marketing tag lines and gimmicks.

I did it 25 years and not knocking it, I swear. but every time I picked up a box no matter the brand I knew the risks and suffered them often (scabs, lost hair, soreness).

I do hope they get some money. I never begrudge a bw her coins!
I hope they get money for the damages and the pain / suffering as well. L'Oreal cornered them by falsely saying the product was safe, in it's ads.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
But don't all relaxers have the potential to do this? I don't understand.

When I was relaxed, I stayed getting burned and scabbed up. That's just part of the game. I knew the risks and still used it.

How many times have we read "Help! My relaxer melted my edges!" in the hair forum? So how do these women have a case when this happens all the time?

What am I missing?

ejfel

I'm sure the women who were burned are used to relaxers, so right now, I won't place the blame solely on them. It could be that this product or the ingredients are too corrosive. Also the lawsuit is only for 5 mill? Split how many ways ? That is way too low for what they went through.

Keen

When I was relaxed, I stayed getting burned and scabbed up. That's just part of the game. I knew the risks and still used it.

How many times have we read "Help! My relaxer melted my edges!" in the hair forum? So how do these women have a case when this happens all the time?

What am I missing?
Everyone knew cigarettes could kill you. That didn't stop smokers for suing and win millions.

Everything Zen

How is this blatant lack of quality hair products seriously STILL happening to black women going into 2017 with major companies and the repercussions involving nothing more than a "Just stop it" from the FDA when friiggin' LULULEMON got their asses lit up with citations over poor supply chain issues over some damn leggings being made out material that was of so low quality that it could be see though? GTFO

dicapr

What am I missing?

When I relaxed I expected
burns and breakage. I never expected bald spots and breakage to the point it looked like I needed a hair transplant. From the pictures it looks like extensive damage above what is considered a normal
risk for a relaxer.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah

Interesting. So are you saying you use a curly perm to straighten?
Relaxers never really straightened my hair at all; they only loosened it and barely did anything for frizz. I have never had bone straight hair. I think it would melt my hair off before it fully straightened it.
And my curls seem to come back a few months after a relaxer too. My hair was 3b before I relaxed and its 3b now with a relaxer :lol:.
I'm transitioning now though and haven't relaxed since April.

sarumoki

Epicurean Empress

What am I missing?

This has been going on for a while with that one specific relaxer though. When I first joined LHCF I was searching for reviews no mix no lye relaxers and all of the threads about this brand in particular were full of complaints.

My guesses about what's happening here is that 1.) the concentration of lithium hydroxide might be higher to counteract the acidity of the amla; 2.) one of the inactive ingredients is causing a reaction somewhere, or 3.) neutralization is generally exothermic so for some reason these women are getting burned maybe? IDK. There's too many variables here.

Femmefatal1981

This has been going on for a while with that one specific relaxer though. When I first joined LHCF I was searching for reviews no mix no lye relaxers and all of the threads about this brand in particular were full of complaints.

My guesses about what's happening here is that 1.) the concentration of lithium hydroxide might be higher to counteract the acidity of the amla; 2.) one of the inactive ingredients is causing a reaction somewhere, or 3.) neutralization is generally exothermic so for some reason these women are getting burned maybe? IDK. There's too many variables here.
If we all know the amla relaxer combo is sketchy at best why didn't the company chemist?

kimpaur

I hope these women get their payout. I'm pretty sure I saw that relaxer on the shelf a few weeks when I did my touch up smh. I don't experience scabs or burns since switching back to no-lye but I texlax for looser curls, so that may make a difference.