If your hair talked back to you (*i know you talk to your hair*) what would it say?

gone_fishing

My girlfriend says her hair would say - "treat me like you treat your skin." :yep:

I was talking to one of my friends who is in hair school right now (not sure what the right word is for that - it's not cosmetology...more like hair health school or something).

I told her to tell me what she meant so I could share it with you all.

Anyway she said while in class her teacher (if that's the term) told the students that you are to treat your hair like you treat your skin.

How much better off would we be if all of our hairstylists learned that!

In order to put this in prospective for you she said (and I'm paraphrasing to the best of my recollection):

When you brush hair...don't brush your hair with anymore force or pressure than would be comfortable if you took that brush and rubbed it on the skin of your inner thigh.

She said brushes, combs, etc. that would physically hurt or make your skin uncomfortable no matter the pressure on your inner thigh are too harsh to use on your hair.

And like your skin, manipulate, pull, and use minimal heat as much as possible.

When you get into a tub your skin warns you of the damage caused by harsh temperatures by making it impossible for you to sit in boiling hot water because it's going to hurt but your hair doesn't have that luxury.

Use your curling irons on the lowest possible (but effective) setting rather than automatically making them as hot as possible. Same with a hair dryer...she said if you have to protect your skin from the heat of a hard bonnet dryer than the heat is too hot. I know there have been a few time when I need a towel on my shoulders to shield from the heat or my forehead was a-burnin'. In these cases, you need a cooler setting. It may take longer to dry but your hair will love you for it.

She said be wary of using harsh chemicals on your hair and never leave a relaxer on so long that your scalp actually burns and scars. She said no matter what we've been told it's not NORMAL for a relaxer to burn you so bad that it leaves scabbing or bright red sensitive areas which later puss a bit.

I think this covers just about everything she said and I know this has all been covered BUT I had never heard it in that context before. Now I have something to compare it to - my skin.

By the way...IF your hair could sit down and have a one on one with you...what would it say about the way you treat it (back then and now)?

msjones

Re: If your hair talked back to you (*i know you talk to your hair*) what would it sa

Wow good points!!! THANKS!

EDIT: My hair would say "Thank you for finally stopping to take care of me! I Love you for it! I will now cooperate with you and do what you wish of me!"----finally!

Finesse

Re: If your hair talked back to you (*i know you talk to your hair*) what would it sa

Mine would prolly say~" Do you remember the asymetric jheri curl bob with the lines cut in it from 1986?" Well, **** you are paying for that right now! That is why I act the way I act....you know that was not right! And let's not mention the Toni Braxton Cut, the Strawberry Blond dye job in the attempt to change our look for the cute coca cola delivery guy....he was not that cute. :rolleyes:

But you know what....I love you and you love me, so I kept coming back and growin even tho I shoulda left you bald.

Me and my hair have been thru alot over the past 39 years :rofl:

rdm

My hair would thank me for not exposing it to heat on a daily basis and for moisurizing daily.

gone_fishing

Mine would prolly say~" Do you remember the asymetric jheri curl bob with the lines cut in it from 1986?" Well, **** you are paying for that right now! That is why I act the way I act....you know that was not right! And let's not mention the Toni Braxton Cut, the Strawberry Blond dye job in the attempt to change our look for the cute coca cola delivery guy....he was not that cute. :rolleyes:

But you know what....I love you and you love me, so I kept coming back and growin even tho I shoulda left you bald.

Me and my hair have been thru alot over the past 39 years :rofl:

That was funny! LOL

gone_fishing

My hair would say (back then):

I didn't really appreciate those dips you took into the pool back in the mid 90's and you just dried me and kept goin - no rinse no conditioner no nothing.

I really resent you letting that hairstylist dye me burgundy when you know you had no clue how to take care of dyed hair. You can't just treat me the same after that.

I really hate sitting under that dryer for an hour - you know how you hate it? I hate it 10X that much!

And could you please stop burning me with curling irons everytime you have a date with your fiance?

What on earth made you think I could withstand THAT much pressure when you put me into a ponytail? I got hairline fractures from that (pun intended) That mess hurt!

Now it would say:

I'm so happy you found someone who knows what they are talking about (LHCF)

Thank you for finally understanding me!

Thank God someone taught you the difference between a moisturizer and a sealer.

I shall never leave you. But just remember if you do ever revert back to your old ways...its on!

hothair

Took you long enough to get your act together- *puts its hand in my face* I'm sorry but how about I let YOU sit in a bath of hydrogen peroxide for 45minutes *nodding its heads (think Medusa)* Mmmhhmm Thought so! *as I run screaming out of the thread* :spinning:

SNyeema

These are really funny. I would go back and tell you what my hair said back in the day; but it lays too close to my brain and I would probably wake it up with my thoughts and it immediately just fall out from the memories!!

But today it would say thank you for deciding to go natural. Its nice to just let me grow without trying to make me do things that it just wasn't designed to do. Thanks for letting the naps go free to wander, grow and flourish!

glamazon386

It would say stop touching me :lol:

Cichelle

Mine would probably say:

"Please leave me alone.

Thank you."

toniy

Mehair:

You got rid of me :bat: so we could look like Michael Jackson in the 80's. Da*, he didnt even want to look like Michael Jackson. Why did you put a curl on top of a perm. You knew that wouldnt work! You should of just done like he did and try to look like Diana. She the same after 20 years. Now thats stability - we needed that.:nono:

In the 90s you got bold. You thought we could look Salt and Peppa - shaving me off from ear to ear and leaving a rat tail in the back.:arguing:Then you had the nerve to dry me up w/peroxide cuz you were to cheap to buy Clairol. What was wrong w/the color we got from the start:baby2:?

The entire time we been together, who was that fool that told you I didnt need a bath. You slapped gel on me every SINGLE day and then didnt have the decency to wash me off for months at a time.:cry:

You smelled me. I know you did!! :nuts:

What about that glue. Rippin all that fake horse tail off every time you needed a new style. Triflin. It took 10 months to get rid of all those shiny bald spots. I couldnt even breathe under that stuff.:cowgirl::badidea:

Forgive me yall. Mehair has not forgiven me yet!:angry2:

**in the mirror rubbin my hair w/Love*:blush:

Last edited:

NuMe2004

"Please deep condition me more often!"

ShaniKeys

"Thanks for stopping with the chemicals. But you need to stop with the heat...and moisturize me, I'm thirsty"

Last edited:

SunnyDelight

This is funny - I love the my skin which must make my hair extra mad. I think my hair would say "'bout time you stopped being so scurred to gimme more water girl - you know I be thirsty" and "leave me lone now" hAHAHAHAH:grin::grin:

Daisimae

Mine would say: "Who are you, and what have you done with the person who has been tormenting me for the last 40 years?"

gone_fishing

Mehair:

You got rid of me :bat: so we could look like Michael Jackson in the 80's. Da*, he didnt even want to look like Michael Jackson. Why did you put a curl on top of a perm. You knew that wouldnt work! You should of just done like he did and try to look like Diana. She the same after 20 years. Now thats stability - we needed that.:nono:

In the 90s you got bold. You thought we could look Salt and Peppa - shaving me off from ear to ear and leaving a rat tail in the back.:arguing:Then you had the nerve to dry me up w/peroxide cuz you were to cheap to buy Clairol. What was wrong w/the color we got from the start:baby2:?

The entire time we been together, who was that fool that told you I didnt need a bath. You slapped gel on me every SINGLE day and then didnt have the decency to wash me off for months at a time.:cry:

You smelled me. I know you did!! :nuts:

What about that glue. Rippin all that fake horse tail off every time you needed a new style. Triflin. It took 10 months to get rid of all those shiny bald spots. I couldnt even breathe under that stuff.:cowgirl::badidea:

Forgive me yall. Mehair has not forgiven me yet!:angry2:

**in the mirror rubbin my hair w/Love*:blush:

This one made me cry! LOL. :lachen:

You guys are hilarious!

rabs77

It would say...
Girl thanks for letting go of the CREAMY CRACK!!!!!!! What took you so long?....By the way, could you pass me a drink...Im super dry!:yep:

Healthb4Length

I'm chillin under this weave right now:grin:. Keep weaving and braiding me up baby!

dlewis

My hair would say the burning you gave me Sunday was not cool.

PatTodd

It would say, "Thank you for letting me be my curly self and not torturing me with that relaxer anymore."

and

"You know you need to trim me right?????????"

Miel

Mine would say:

"BOUT DAGG'ON TIME MISSY!!!! Yep, I 'memba that scary curl, that time you got a fresh curl one day and 2 days later went swimmin' and didn't wash me and your then collar-bone length do went from that to a burnt out, ate up half mohawk in less than 2 months! Gotcha then didn't I? But I digress, tell them fine folx at LHCF that I said a big ole THANK YOU for showing you the light. Oh and tell that woman braiding me to ease up on my edges before you have a hairline like Stevie Wonder."

sound

My hair would say:

I'm glad you finally learned that a "relaxer" is not at all relaxing. Let me me breathe and do my own thing.

bLackButtaFly

Mine would say "thank you for releasing me from the relaxer. I told you I'd still be cute. And thanks for the new high moisture low manipulation plan, and for going to a professional for coloring:look:" and "please stop touching me", but I can't:yep:

CurliDiva

Take that d*mn plastic bag off of me! :lachen:

Luvmylife

"Girl quit playin'...I dunno why you trying to forget the fact that WE'RE OUT OF CASTOR OIL! Get it movin' on down to Whole Foods!" - Luv's Ends

Mine would have a British accent and would say, "Hey love, just a friendly reminder: Healthy hair first, length second. Keep up the good work!"

Cayenne0622

Hair: Heffah, why can't you figure out how to stop me from breaking??!
Me: Bigger Heffah, why can't you help me figure it out??!
Hair: Okay, I'm sorry. I know you are trying. I just like giving you a hard time.
Me: I ain't sorry. You get on my nerves! lolololol Jes kidding...mama's gonna keep on trying!! lololol

lalalauren

My hair would say "Thanks for taking care of me properly now. Took you long enough. And now I'm stalling your growth for payback.":p

prettypuff1

Hair:" I thought i told you no heat, no weaves no nothing"
Me: " But there wasnt any glue this time"
Hair: " Ok keep on playing, i tell the temples to fall out again. What happened to your regimine? Who brought the flat iron out and put away the moisterizure."
Me:" Umm..... well.....i dont know"
Hair:" Ok..... i will fall out again, and deciede either transition. or relax me"