Lawyers To L'oreal: Pull Your Scalp Scalding Relaxer Before It Burns Again!!

Kindheart

In the past relaxers cause thinning and severe breakage but I never experienced balding (braids did that ). They should prove the product was used correctly
and not overlapped . Most relaxers cause damage . The best ones I used was creme of nature lye .

werenumber2

And my curls seem to come back a few months after a relaxer too. My hair was 3b before I relaxed and its 3b now with a relaxer :lol:.
I'm transitioning now though and haven't relaxed since April.

I think I've done a relaxer maybe twice - both times by a professional stylist who was following the instructions. My hair stayed straight for about a week and when I went to wash it, my hair went right back to curly. When I would read on hair boards about people having to transition and deal with dual textures because relaxers have to "grow out", I was so confused. :laugh:

MizzBFly

I hope these women get their payout. I'm pretty sure I saw that relaxer on the shelf a few weeks when I did my touch up smh. I don't experience scabs or burns since switching back to no-lye but I texlax for looser curls, so that may make a difference.
Piggybacking:
Calcium hydroxide (no lye) was terrible to my strands, dry and brittle.
Sodium hydroxide (lye) was so gentle to my strands and just loosened my curl a bit.
*every head is different but the 2 chemicals & results were a big topic*
I stopped relaxers 5 years ago, the process became so mundane.

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
I was just researching selenium sulfide shampoos because I'm having issues with scalp build up again. Even T Sal is not working:(. Anyway, I recall that after a relaxer I would notice that my scalp seemed extra clean for a while. I now think my scalp buildup issue is what protected me from getting burns. The sebum/dead skin acted as a base for my scalp and the relaxer would effectively clean all the gunk off my scalp. If lye can clean drains it can clean my scalp :lol:.

kimpaur

Piggybacking:
Calcium hydroxide (no lye) was terrible to my strands, dry and brittle.
Sodium hydroxide (lye) was so gentle to my strands and just loosened my curl a bit.
*every head is different but the 2 chemicals & results were a big topic*
I stopped relaxers 5 years ago, the process became so mundane.

You know, it may not have been the lye, I just scractch alot :lol: I changed my methods a lot with this touch up but my hair turned out great so I'm not going to question it :lol:
I love the process, especially after stretching awhile

Subscribe

But don't all relaxers have the potential to do this? I don't understand.

When I was relaxed, I stayed getting burned and scabbed up. That's just part of the game. I knew the risks and still used it.

How many times have we read "Help! My relaxer melted my edges!" in the hair forum? So how do these women have a case when this happens all the time?

What am I missing?

You should have sued.

Evolving78

I've used this relaxer before, a few times actually, and never experienced burns and hair melting off. Now I did have a horrible experience with Silk Elements box color (black).
Like I said in the recent thread, all of those women look like that have bad hair practices.

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Interesting. So are you saying you use a curly perm to straighten?
Relaxers never really straightened my hair at all; they only loosened it and barely did anything for frizz. I have never had bone straight hair. I think it would melt my hair off before it fully straightened it.
And my curls seem to come back a few months after a relaxer too. My hair was 3b before I relaxed and its 3b now with a relaxer :lol:.

Not a curly perm in the AA sense...it's an exothermic perm "reverse" method. Just busts the frizz off. I no longer want sodium hydroxide/calcium hydroxide and trying to transition to ammonium thioglycolate if I desire uber straight in future. Yeah, some of mine is in the 3 range and it resists straightener, for sure. Just makes the curls less tight. I don't like the feel of relaxers...and they make my scalp dry. Hair is much softer and with more body with thio or acid-based/acid-balanced perm. Stinks, tho. Plus, my strands always get very dry with calcium hydroxide in a few months. Anyhoo, if you try it, you have to get the new growth only.

kanozas

Interesting. So are you saying you use a curly perm to straighten?
Relaxers never really straightened my hair at all; they only loosened it and barely did anything for frizz. I have never had bone straight hair. I think it would melt my hair off before it fully straightened it.

Also, I considered wave nouveau but I think you have to use the curling rods. Plus, so many people have lost their hair and from the Youtube reviews where people got their hair done professionally, I didn't like the results. Just looked wet and greasy but puffy frizzed, if that makes sense. I might be able to use the reducer but I'm scared to because it's very harsh. I swear, New Era acid-balanced perm was the best damned perm EVER. You got what you wanted a nd could even use the other one as a "white lady perm/curly perm" and didn't have to put all that greasy juice in it. What I'm saying is that I'm trying to replace the New Era that is no longer produced. I can get bisulfite/neutral perms on amazon (low ammonia) but New Era was a thick gel and didn't run much. I'm experimenting this time around. Got cut pretty dang short.

Disclaimer: You have to know which chemicals work together. REsearch. Don't use ammonia over "relaxer"...you will suffer breakage. I'm not doing that and most all mine is cut off, thank goodness. I'm experimenting with alternatives on the neutral/ammonia or low-ammonia side. I might try and get an air perm in future. Chazz Dean does them and on an AA woman...to cut the halo of frizz. Anybody feel me?

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
Not a curly perm in the AA sense...it's an exothermic perm "reverse" method. Just busts the frizz off. I no longer want sodium hydroxide/calcium hydroxide and trying to transition to ammonium thioglycolate if I desire uber straight in future. Yeah, some of mine is in the 3 range and it resists straightener, for sure. Just makes the curls less tight. I don't like the feel of relaxers...and they make my scalp dry. Hair is much softer and with more body with thio or acid-based/acid-balanced perm. Stinks, tho. Plus, my strands always get very dry with calcium hydroxide in a few months. Anyhoo, if you try it, you have to get the new growth only.
Also, I considered wave nouveau but I think you have to use the curling rods. Plus, so many people have lost their hair and from the Youtube reviews where people got their hair done professionally, I didn't like the results. Just looked wet and greasy but puffy frizzed, if that makes sense. I might be able to use the reducer but I'm scared to because it's very harsh. I swear, New Era acid-balanced perm was the best damned perm EVER. You got what you wanted a nd could even use the other one as a "white lady perm/curly perm" and didn't have to put all that greasy juice in it. What I'm saying is that I'm trying to replace the New Era that is no longer produced. I can get bisulfite/neutral perms on amazon (low ammonia) but New Era was a thick gel and didn't run much. I'm experimenting this time around. Got cut pretty dang short.

Disclaimer: You have to know which chemicals work together. REsearch. Don't use ammonia over "relaxer"...you will suffer breakage. I'm not doing that and most all mine is cut off, thank goodness. I'm experimenting with alternatives on the neutral/ammonia or low-ammonia side. I might try and get an air perm in future. Chazz Dean does them and on an AA woman...to cut the halo of frizz. Anybody feel me?

Thanks for the info. Anything I do try will need to wait till I'm natural. I'm only a few mths into my transition so it will be a longggggg time. if there's some magic chemical out there that can truly take away frizz I would use it in a heartbeat. But so far nothing has. I'll keep my curls, I just want the frizz gone. To have my curls without frizz is an absolute fantasy for me:lol:.
Have you ever tried thermal reconditioning which is what Zoe Saldana allegedly uses?

kanozas

Thanks for the info. Anything I do try will need to wait till I'm natural. I'm only a few mths into my transition so it will be a longggggg time. if there's some magic chemical out there that can truly take away frizz I would use it in a heartbeat. But so far nothing has. I'll keep my curls, I just want the frizz gone. To have my curls without frizz is an absolute fantasy for me:lol:.
Have you ever tried thermal reconditioning which is what Zoe Saldana allegedly uses?

This! Those thermal reconditioning chemicals are all in the same line which might be what I try but it's permanent. No curls absolutely. I want options from curly to straight (with minimal heat) when I want that.

PJaye

Why are people still relaxing their hair?