Letting It All Hang Out

JRokk

Hi Everyone,

I have a question I see that a lot of you all wear your hair in protective styles majority of the time.

I dont like to wear my hair in buns. I like to wear my wrap EVERYDAY if I can. :yay:

Is the only way for my hair to reach BSL is to wear protective styles 99% of the time?

I just feel why grow it if you cant show it :gorgeous:

Mala

Last edited:
I think you can wear it out some as well. But you will definitely need to incorporate protective styling and limited heat use if you want to reach your hair goal quickly. The more I manipulate my hair, the more pieces I find. If I use rollersets(tight) and pin my hair up on other days my hair retains the most length. HTH.

well it looks like you're only neck length right now. you can away with wearing your hair down everyday for now but once you hit shoulder length i recommend putting it up very often. you don't have to wear a bun. there are cute clips that you can wear that have a little style so you don't feel like you look so drab.

I agree with the other poster who said that you can get away with wearing it out alot since you are currently neck-length. For me, I did retain length by wearing my hair wrapped and hanging loose (at the time it was BSL) and I just took extra care of my ends in the evening by baggying. Then, I noticed my hair thinning in the back and stopped wrapping nightly altogether. That really saved my hair and added back the thickness.

If you want to get to your goal quickly, you may indeed have to incorporate a lot of PS to get there. That's what it takes often times to get 4a/4b hair to retain length. There are many cute updos you can do, and even braids, twists or wigs to change up your look while still protecting your hair. :yep:

Protective styling is really key once you get to shoulder length and beyond. The hair will get so much wear and tear from seatbacks, clothing, and outerwear it's important to keep it out of harm's way. I find that a mix of protective styling and wearing it out is best to prevent breakage around the areas where the hair is bound. Now that I'm a little more than APL, I just find protective styling easier, 'cause this is a lot of hair to be dealing with! GL!

I'm convinced that wearign my wrap all the time is the reason I haven't been able to get past SL in the past. Once I get past full shoulder length then I'll start wearing my hair out more often.

Back