LHCF: OFFICIAL "WHAT'S MY HAIR TYPE?" (typing thread:-)

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Yes for some it's annoying, for others it's useful.... and for many (like me) it's just harmless fun and something to do! (not to mention a great way to see yummy pics!)

SO FOR ANYONE WHO'S IN QUESTION or DOUBT (and would like to know other's opinions) OF THEIR HAIR TYPE

INSERT POSSIBLE
TYPE 1, TYPE 2, TYPE 3, AND TYPE 4 PICS HERE:yep:!!!

(and ask LHCF "what's my hair type?):look:

IT IS within MY "LIMITED" UNDERSTANDING THAT HAIR TYPING IS DONE ON FRESHLY WASHED/CLEAN HAIR, NO PRODUCT, AND IF POSSIBLE AT LEAST 50% DRY

IF YOU POST A PIC WITH ANY PRODUCT, WET, MANIPULATED (COMBED, BRUSHED, STRETCHED) PLEASE INDICATE METHOD & PRODUCTS USED
(difficult to obtain accuracy with any product/manipulation used)

The Andre Hair-Typing System - :ohwell:

by PreciousCurls
We've all heard of the hair-typing system that looks a lot like 3a, 4b, 2c, etc. This is called the Andre hair typing system. The numbers 1 through 4 designate the curliness of the hair pattern - 1 being straight, 2 being wavy, 3 being curly and 4 being very tightly curly/coily/kinky. The letters a, b, and c designate the curl size within that number - 3c having smaller curls than 3b, 2c having smaller waves than 2b, 4b having very small coils or a zig-zag pattern smaller than that of the 4a hair type. The Andre hair typing system simply tells you the size of your curls, and how they look altogether.

Type 1 - Straight Type 2a - Little wave Type 2b Type 2c Type 3a Type 3b Type 3c Type 4a - Small curls and coils Type 4b - Very small coils/zig-zag pattern, little definition

Last edited:

freecurl

I have a suggestion. Why don't people use a pencil, coffee stirrer or marker next to their unmanipulated/dry hair to see what the majority of there hair strands are like? That way, there is more of an objective, rather than subjective description.:yep:
Trying to decipher hair types on screen is nearly impossible to me.:spinning:
BTW, I hate hair typing. I just don't see how its helpful in finding hair products/routines. Maybe its helpful for hairstyle suggestions and inspiration.
I personally get more help from other similar textured ladies, ie. fine haired ladies, whether they are Type 1,2,3 or 4. It can be helpful when choosing detangling tools, protein treatments etc. Also thick and/or coarser ladies may be more helpful with each other in those same areas.
This is my opinion and suggestion. And I think it is a good idea. Take those tools out and place next to your hair if you insist on trying to classify your hair with Andre's system.
(Please forgive my mini-rant.:cool2:)

theeREALmccoy

I'll bite! I'd love to see what the experts say! :yep:

I kno people say the best way to type your hair is when its dry, unmanipulated, with no product.....but doing that would probably cause a huge set back for me! So I have a pics of my hair in several different states...

Naked, freshly shampooed hair:

Hair with conditioner:

Wash & Go (still wet)

Dry wash & go

ETA: Wash & go was done with HE LTR Leave in & some random curl activator gel (can't remember the brand).

Last edited:

brittanynic16

I kno people say the best way to type your hair is when its dry, unmanipulated, with no product.....but doing that would probably cause a huge set back for me! So I have a pics of my hair in several different states...

Hair with conditioner:

Wash & Go (still wet)

Dry wash & go

ETA: Wash & go was done with HE LTR Leave in & some random curl activator gel (can't remember the brand).

I am going to go with a solid 4a.

Hair with conditioner:

Wash & Go (still wet)

Dry wash & go

4a

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Hair with conditioner:

Wash & Go (still wet)

Dry wash & go

the juiciest 4A IN THE HIZZZZOUUUUSE!! rep yo' city!:look::look:

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
Okay, I will! for fun. I say that I am 4a-3/c in the back. My hair is very cottony, no shine and fluffy. The back have that Ramen noodle look when wet, dries very cottony looking.

let me find some pics.

Washed some type of oil. finger combed- i think

Dry with only coconut oil, finger combed to pull through oil.

Dry and naked with flash

Dry-

Fhrizzball

ooh ooh my turn. Sorry in advance for the size.

This is it wet

This is it damp

And this is it dry with only a little evco on the ends

Curly Luul

Honestly never knew what my hair type was, still kinda dont so this topic is great.

ok two of these picss are of

pic 1) hair 90% hair dryed after wash and deep conditioning

pic 2) Hair wet after wash not deep cond yet

ps : dont know if this means anything but i'm 7 months post texturizer

thanks xx

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 122

ycj1

My turn can someone help me.

1st pic is completely naked hair no product just washed
2nd pic 90% dry with growafrohairlong lv-in
3rd pic completley naked no product damp hair
4th completely dry with lv-in

OK, when I take out my braids in march for wash/dc I will submit better pics

Attachments

• feb2 2011-1.jpg
    feb2 2011-1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 162
  • jan2011-25.JPG
    jan2011-25.JPG
    458.4 KB · Views: 151
  • feb2 2011-3.jpg
    feb2 2011-3.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 144
  • feb2 2011-4.jpg
    feb2 2011-4.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

My turn can someone help me.

1st pic is completely naked hair no product just washed
2nd pic 90% dry with growafrohairlong lv-in
3rd pic completley naked no product damp hair
4th completely dry with lv-in
can't see much... i'm voting 4a tho:look:

Nonie where u at cuz:yawn:

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Honestly never knew what my hair type was, still kinda dont so this topic is great.

ok two of these picss are of

pic 1) hair 90% hair dryed after wash and deep conditioning

pic 2) Hair wet after wash not deep cond yet

ps : dont know if this means anything but i'm 7 months post texturizer

thanks xx

i think the texturized ends may have to be cut to see how far your hair curls or recoils
i had texlaxed ends that had me in the wrong thread last year

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
....lurking from the sidelines! :) :lachen:

For real though, these threads are fun even if it doesn't matter what your type is. I kinda agree with freecurl about looking for folks with similar textures - not just curl size...

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
ooh ooh my turn. Sorry in advance for the size.

This is it wet

This is it damp

And this is it dry with only a little evco on the ends

Hey! Your wet pic looks like my hair when wet. My hair shrinks up about 25% is very cottony but with product it can have more shine and sheen. I would say mixed 4a/3c like mine.

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
I have a question, does any naturals have hair that when pulled back wet or dry when taken down it looks like it has been blowed dried or flat ironed? My hair in the front will get straight and the rest textured if I wear it pulled back. I thought that was strange. Even when I had locks, my locks would look stringy when pulled back until they were about 2 years old. I had to rewet them to plump it.

Also, my hair grows down and flops. I have 25% shrinkage and my hair is very easy to detangle, like 10 mins :sekret:. HOWEVER, when it dries, cannot get fingers or a comb through cause it is NAPPY! :lol: I don't know what is going on with this hair!

Glamorous_chic

^^My hair does this. I thought it was really strange. But I think I have 50% shrinkage I think. And for now my hair grows up. It may change as I gain more length though. Oh and my hair is easy to detangle too... atleast for now. but I think I'm a 4a.
Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

[USER=1153 said:
prettynatural[/USER] ;12917241]I have a question, does any naturals have hair that when pulled back wet or dry when taken down it looks like it has been blowed dried or flat ironed? My hair in the front will get straight and the rest textured if I wear it pulled back. I thought that was strange. Even when I had locks, my locks would look stringy when pulled back until they were about 2 years old. I had to rewet them to plump it.

Also, my hair grows down and flops. I have 25% shrinkage and my hair is very easy to detangle, like 10 mins :sekret:. HOWEVER, when it dries, cannot get fingers or a comb through cause it is NAPPY! :lol: I don't know what is going on with this hair!

do you have a clean air dried (no product pic) of your hair? (slightly wet is cool too.... but no product & no manipulation on it at all)?

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
do you have a clean air dried (no product pic) of your hair? (slightly wet is cool too.... but no product & no manipulation on it at all)?

The closest one would be the naked air dried with mimimal manipulation. My hair is very cottony. It has a flash shot. I should have one in natural light of the same pic. Let me find it.

pullback puff

Wet Length Check 2008