To hair type or not to hair type is the question?

almond eyes

Dear Ladies,

Those who don't like to hair type, can you explain your reasons?

My reasons:

1. I think the volume of the hair is a little bit more important that the actual 'type or grade' of hair. For example, my hair is fine just discovered that last year and it changed my hair care regime

2. Politically reminds me of what the colonists tried to do in Africa, a race within the race (Bantu, Nubian, Nilotic = all African but different races), creation of more division within our race

3. I have too many different textures on my hair to limit my hair to a type, can one say 1/4 4a, 2/4 4b, 1/4 3b (get my point!!!!!), Soon skin typing my back is a light brown but my butt is dark brown......

4. Even with the hair type my hair still does not perform what the typing system purports it is suppose to do (for example, certain products make my hair go curly others shrink it up with no curls), I can fool the type detectors because one day my hair looks one type and the other day looks another depending on product

5. Self-validation if the hair is 3C (and under) and disappointment if 4a or 4b/c/z

6. The typing system will never stop, we will create 4a to 4z soon 5a

7. Accept that our hair is unique each person has different things that work for them even though for the most part afro-textured hair tends to be drier and more fragile, so no two heads of hair even with the same type can necessarily use the same regime. Our hair is too diverse to just confine it to a type like the others.

Best,
Almond Eyes

MsBoinglicious

Hair typing, not hair typing. Doesn't matter good hair/bad hair will always be an issue (unless we all shave our heads).

I was on another hair board and a girl made a comment to me that i had no business giving advice about hair to someone who had hair kinkier than mine. I never mentioned my hair type, never mentioned my hair texture, none of that. This board does not believe in the typing system, yet i was typed anyway based off of a picture of my hair in my siggy. That was enough to spark that rude comment from that person and a few others who agreed with her. So "not hair typing" hair will not change anything.

If someone looks at your hair and to them based on what they mama, grandma, outside influences told them what "good hair" was. Thats what they will see regardless if it has a 2a,3a,4a,5a stamp on it.

Some people abuse the system, some use it as a tool to help with products. Its all in how you use it. And there is no way to police it, so...*throws hands up*

Last edited:

silvergirl

well never agree on it. regardless of what i decided to type my hair i still have to find what works for me. and someone who "looks" like they have my hair might not be able to do things i can do. an i cant even do some of the things that ppl in my type can do. because there are soo many other factors like, strand texture, overall texture, density, curl size, angle of curl, circular curl, kinky curl, uniform curl, clumping factors. it goes on.

second.... even if hair charts didnt exsist. there will also be "good hair" "bad hair" or ppl trying to raise to the "better level"

my own hair starts at the very end of 4a/start of 3c and goes up to the high end of 3c. but only 1/3 maybe even 1/4 would be considered the high 3c part. the rest which is covered by the 3c parts are the pencil sized borderline 3c/4a parts. sooo when i first became natural i carried my 3c/4a siggy with pride, only to told that in no way am i 4a anything.. simply because my texture and density is not typical 4a and my 3c parts hide the 3c/4a hair.... sigh.. so now i just go by 3c to appease everyone else. but i know whats up lol.

FAMUDva

I don't type because I don't get the point... and frankly I think it's not necessary.

I have kinky/coily afro textured hair. PERIOD. Whether it's 3c, 4a, or mixed up... I really could care less. I'm more concerned on what will keep em from frizzing and what will make em grow! And so far the techniques I've learned from various hair sites (included a racially diverse one) have been helpful regardless of the "hair type" of the person giving the good info.

Ramya

I don't type my hair anymore. My hair looks different all the time! It depends on how much I've been deep conditioning or the humidity or my haircut or even my diet! It's not textbook anything so I don't bother. The products that other 4a's rave about don't work for me. The front of my hair barely fits any of the description. It looks relaxed! I just do what works and keep it moving. And personally I don't care what anybody type's there hair as. It's not like it's taking away from the fabulousness that is mine. :gorgeous:

onejamifan

I think hair typing is confusing to me. If I am not mistaken, hair type has more to due with the curl pattern, however, it does not take into consideration thickness or texture. Like one person can have type 3 something hair but have it be thin, medium or thick. Or it could be fine or coarse, hence why people with same "type" hair have different reactions to certain products... I have been trying to figure that out for a year now and I'm still no closer to an answer...:perplexed:perplexed

That's why I don't do hair typing.

beans4reezy

Not to typer here. I just have never really cared. I actually just found out my hair type today thanks to a chart made by Silvergirl, but at the end of the day, I do what works for my hair, and not someone else's who is of like texture to mine.

MrsHdrLe

I can't figure it out either ( I think it's way too complex what about 1, straight, 2-wavy, 3-curly, and 4 more curly? that's easy, just drop the a,b,c cateogories)

mswoman

I really love hair typing. Prior to understanding mines I bought so much stuff!!! Once I found someone whom had my hair type truely I was able to find stuff that works for me and now I'm excited!!! I have a great reggie because someone cared enough to hook me up with my hair type.....

Hairsofab

I don't mind hair typing. But the 4b category is too broad, or else many people don't actually know the definition of it.

kooskoos

The 4 category doesn't follow the conventions of the others. 4b isn't a tighter 4a, although 3b is a tighter version of 3a. I don't understand how you can have two different curl types in one subset (4s are coils and kinks? Doesn't make sense :nono:). Plus I have a very hard time typing my hair to other people. I'm a 4b or 4z (something) but my texture is very loose and my hair is fine, so it behaves more like a 3z would :look:
Whatever...

almond eyes

Thanks ladies for the responses. Just trying to get an interesting debate going and not about typing other peoples hair but women typing their own hair and whether they feel it is important to their hair care regime. For me, its not that important but for some women it could be helpful in terms of knowing what products to gravitate towards.

Best,
Almond Eyes

msa

I have mixed feelings about hair typing. Sometimes it's helpful for descriptive purposes and sometimes it's just confusing.

I know for sure that it's not necessary for my haircare regimen. I have virgin coily hair that tends toward dryness and it's neither fine or thick. That's all I need to know.