LHCF: OFFICIAL "WHAT'S MY HAIR TYPE?" (typing thread:-)

maddie611

Hi ladies. Pls tell my what type I am :)

nappystorm

I know I'm late for the party but I had braids. Anyhoo, here's mine. I'm about 80-90% dry.

Last edited:

SheenaVee

So, I have a hair type vid on YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZDO5hfliKE
And I just got um, 'EDUCATED'. :look:

"Don't worry about hair type so much. Though, for EDUCATIONAL purposes ONLY, you're not in the 3c/4a category because your hair is not of the coil O family but of the S family. Your hair is a bunch of hills and valleys, not of springs. You're mostly 3b but you do have a blend of small coils in the back. Your dominate is 3B, secondary 3c/4a blend, which means that your individual strands are still in a transitioning phase, so you won't know your pattern until it's fully matured."

So um, after 2 years + of being natural my pattern isn't 'fully matured'?

Alrighty then. :look::ohwell:

ellegantelle

I'm looking at all of the pictures in this thread and everyone's hair looks so wonderfully defined. Here I am with a challenge...

What is my hair type? I have a smorgasbord of hair textures...so I tried to take various shots of my hair without product

IMG_2072.JPG
IMG_2073.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2075.JPG
IMG_2076.JPG

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I'm looking at all of the pictures in this thread and everyone's hair looks so wonderfully defined. Here I am with a challenge...

What is my hair type? I have a smorgasbord of hair textures...so I tried to take various shots of my hair without product

View attachment 110631
View attachment 110633
View attachment 110635
View attachment 110637
View attachment 110639

PRETTY HAIR... I personally can never tell on chemically treated hair :sad: sorry not much help

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

So, I have a hair type vid on YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZDO5hfliKE
And I just got um, 'EDUCATED'. :look:

"Don't worry about hair type so much. Though, for EDUCATIONAL purposes ONLY, you're not in the 3c/4a category because your hair is not of the coil O family but of the S family. Your hair is a bunch of hills and valleys, not of springs. You're mostly 3b but you do have a blend of small coils in the back. Your dominate is 3B, secondary 3c/4a blend, which means that your individual strands are still in a transitioning phase, so you won't know your pattern until it's fully matured."

So um, after 2 years + of being natural my pattern isn't 'fully matured'?

Alrighty then. :look::ohwell:
so in her world you got served???:look:
:rofl::rofl::rofl: :yawn::lachen:

SheenaVee

@viciousdreamr02

Lol!
I think your hair is maybe 3c? Do you have heat damage? Coz the ends looks a bit straight?

But the third pic in your first post kinda looks like the top of my hair, even down to the colour! Lol! I'll try find a pic and show you.

ETA: Here's the pic. Mines in a ponytail but it's naked. Lol not the best example but I don't have many pics of my hair from the top.

Last edited:

ellegantelle

I think I do have a bit of heat damage on my ends. I have significantly decreased the amount of heat I've used in the past year tho. I'm hoping to gradually cut these ends off. Id love to see your hair pictures. We might be hair twins lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

ellegantelle

You're my hair twin...from "above" lol...our hair looks very similar on the top. I like your color. Yours is a bit brighter than mine. I started with bronze high lights then I started hennaing and I liked the results...

SheenaVee

You're my hair twin...from "above" lol...our hair looks very similar on the top. I like your color. Yours is a bit brighter than mine. I started with bronze high lights then I started hennaing and I liked the results...

Lol yeah, not the red in that pic I posted but the colour in my siggy?
And I've got pics in the 4a and 3c/4a hair type threads.

NikkiQ

Here's my contribution :grin:

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 84

ycj1

I am back to add more pics from the OP request. The 1st couple of pics are freshly washed naked hair no product. The 2nd set are with Alter Ego dc and the others are random. I just took my braids out last night and washed my hair today.

ycj1

Here is my hair with the cond. in it. The last pic is naked just washed. The 1st 3 at the bottom is with leave in GrowAfroHairLong detangler

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

@ycj1 did the afro detangler work well for you always? I had a ton of it and couldn't make it work (4 of the half gallons) a year ago

also... some of your pics look like you could be my hair twin! roflmao
so i won't say 3c/4a:look::look:
but "foA":ohwell:
:grin:

also do you dye your hair black? mine is kinda strange from henna

great camera by the way

ycj1

@ycj1 did the afro detangler work well for you always? I had a ton of it and couldn't make it work (4 of the half gallons) a year ago

also... some of your pics look like you could be my hair twin! roflmao
so i won't say 3c/4a:look::look:
but "foA":ohwell:
:grin:

also do you dye your hair black? mine is kinda strange from henna

great camera by the way
Why yes of course I color but I use Natural Instincts rinse. I tried henna before but is way too messy for me and time consuming as well. As far as the afro detangler I use it right after I rinse out my cond. it does a good job for me especially as far as breakage. Very minimal. My hair is very odd indeed! The most coarse is my sides compared to the rest, it's like a different person's hair on my head but it's the strongest too. I can't explain it. No, I have like half and half 3c and 4a for sure. My hair coils up even if I use plain ole vaseline.

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Why yes of course I color but I use Natural Instincts rinse. I tried henna before but is way too messy for me and time consuming as well. As far as the afro detangler I use it right after I rinse out my cond. it does a good job for me especially as far as breakage. Very minimal. My hair is very odd indeed! The most coarse is my sides compared to the rest, it's like a different person's hair on my head but it's the strongest too. I can't explain it. No, I have like half and half 3c and 4a for sure. My hair coils up even if I use plain ole vaseline.

you use the afro detangler on wet hair? allow to dry... then reapply a second time and allow to dry then detangle?:look::grin:
those instructions were wild... but I or it was doing something wrong

ycj1

you use the afro detangler on wet hair? allow to dry... then reapply a second time and allow to dry then detangle?:look::grin:
those instructions were wild... but I or it was doing something wrong
My hair normally is 95% dry. Not wet. I only apply it once only when I first wash after dc. If my hair(ends feels dry then I will apply) it's really good to use to for a braid/twist out. You should think about trying some again. I think you'll like it. I purchased the yr supply that way I won't worry about ever running out. It's that good for my hair.

DON'T BE SCURRED!

yamilee21

I think hair typing is mostly nonsense, but I was thinking about this thread yesterday because I saw a little girl (8-10 years old) with very interesting hair. It was in a ponytail with the front parted down the middle, twisted back into the ponytail. The front edges looked 4a-ish, with a halo of tiny escaping dry coils. A couple of inches back, as the hair was going into the ponytail, it had the wavy look of stretched 3b hair. The last 4or so inches of the actual ponytail was type 1 hair - silky straight. It did not look straightened and it did not look like a phony ponytail - it looked exactly like the type 1 hair of the woman and little boy she was with... presumably her mother and brother, since she looked exactly like them, except for the hair. :lol: What hair type could that be, assuming all that is going on on the same individual strands? :lol:

Amoreofcurls

I think hair typing is mostly nonsense, but I was thinking about this thread yesterday because I saw a little girl (8-10 years old) with very interesting hair. It was in a ponytail with the front parted down the middle, twisted back into the ponytail. The front edges looked 4a-ish, with a halo of tiny escaping dry coils. A couple of inches back, as the hair was going into the ponytail, it had the wavy look of stretched 3b hair. The last 4or so inches of the actual ponytail was type 1 hair - silky straight. It did not look straightened and it did not look like a phony ponytail - it looked exactly like the type 1 hair of the woman and little boy she was with... presumably her mother and brother, since she looked exactly like them, except for the hair. :lol: What hair type could that be, assuming all that is going on on the same individual strands? :lol:

it was probably old stretched out, and fuzzy hair :lol: maybe she was previously relaxed, since the ends were straight