Lock It Up! Support Thread (Sisterlocs, Dreads, Freeform, Etc)

BillsBackerz67

Month 11. Flew to Dallas and got my hair done. I asked what to expect next with my loc transformation and she said they will thicken up a tad bit moreo_O AND watch frizz drastically reduce as the loose hair will start pulling into core of the locs. She said this reason alone is why she doesn't believe in pruning locs the first 1-2 years they are started. She said I will always have frizzy hair because of my texture but nothing like I've been dealing with when I first started out. Can't wait to see what next 6 months bring:amen:
IMG_6117.JPG
IMG_6118.JPG

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Month 11. Flew to Dallas and got my hair done. I asked what to expect next with my loc transformation and she said they will thicken up a tad bit moreo_O AND watch frizz drastically reduce as the loose hair will start pulling into core of the locs. She said this reason alone is why she doesn't believe in pruning locs the first 1-2 years they are started. She said I will always have frizzy hair because of my texture but nothing like I've been dealing with when I first started out. Can't wait to see what next 6 months bring:amen:
View attachment 392889
View attachment 392891

They're lovely

BillsBackerz67

They're lovely
Thanks girl! I scrolled up a few days ago saw your hair and then started following joyceMD on YouTube ...of course I was like OMG i want more locs now! You have 250+ right? She has about 300. So full and pretty. But today I sat in that chair for retwist and realized nope! It not work out for me. I get antsy at 30 minutes :lachen::drunk: Imma let me and my 120-122 locs be great. Everybody ain't able.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Thanks girl! I scrolled up a few days ago saw your hair and then started following joyceMD on YouTube ...of course I was like OMG i want more locs now! You have 250+ right? She has about 300. So full and pretty. But today I sat in that chair for retwist and realized nope! It not work out for me. I get antsy at 30 minutes :lachen::drunk: Imma let me and my 120-122 locs be great. Everybody ain't able.

I have 420something :duck:

mz.rae

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
View attachment 392889
View attachment 392891

@BillsBackerz67, your hair reminds me so much of mine. My hair is fuzzy about 2 weeks after my retwist. But I have been picking out lint with tweezers and believe I have messed up some of the progress. I'm going to have to find another way to deal with lint. I have an obsession with getting lint out of my hair.

BillsBackerz67

@BillsBackerz67, your hair reminds me so much of mine. My hair is fuzzy about 2 weeks after my retwist. But I have been picking out lint with tweezers and believe I have messed up some of the progress. I'm going to have to find another way to deal with lint. I have an obsession with getting lint out of my hair.
Really? I have zero issues with lint! None! But then again my hair is always wrapped up when I get home. Hmmmm the only way I'd probably tackle it is to dye my hair black :look:to conceal it. I'm crazy.

BillsBackerz67

Does any one follow Yanni the locologist?

She has a very different approach from another popular loc person damian Walters.

Any thoughts?
I found a happy medium and I actually ageee with both of their perspectives. Depending on the individual locs may not need products....BUT if you're going to use products don't over do it and stay away from the products Damian warns against. Damian's long term clients have ridiculously healthy beautiful locs. As does Yanni.

Your locs look beautiful!:2inlove:

Last edited:

KimPossibli

Supergirl
I found a happy medium and I actually ageee with both of their perspectives. Depending on the individual locs may not need products....BUT if you're going to use products don't over do it and stay away from the products Damian warns against. Damian's long term clients have ridiculously healthy beautiful locs. As does Yanni.

Your locs look beautiful!:2inlove:

I don't have locs.. yet...

Damian is a little messy to me, so I'm biased against him, but also I think I'm not big on a super neat look as well.

but I love, love the idea of not using product besides rose water or a light scalp oil... my hair is super tight so I'm wary of even the little hold product that damian uses.

BillsBackerz67

I don't have locs.. yet...

Damian is a little messy to me, so I'm biased against him, but also I think I'm not big on a super neat look as well.

but I love, love the idea of not using product besides rose water or a light scalp oil... my hair is super tight so I'm wary of even the little hold product that damian uses.
Damien is pretty cool in person the videos are just a YT persona he's very professional and knows his ish. He started my loc and the product he uses is used in my hair with every retwist. It's super lightweight so I'm not sure if it would do much of anything to cause your locs to go in the wrong direction

mz.rae

So my scalp has been itching ever since I got my sisterlocks installed. I suffer from dry scalp and clarified my hair the week of my test locks and the day before my install. My scalp always seems to want to itch most when I get twists, braids, cornrows, etc put in, I don't know why. I tried some sea breeze on my scalp and that was just meh. I'm scared to try an oil as I don't want to get it on my hair. But I really just want some relief!!!

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Does any one follow Yanni the locologist?

She has a very different approach from another popular loc person damian Walters.

Any thoughts?
I have been watching her videos lately. She makes very good points which strike me as very logical, like using conditioner is counter-productive to locg because it is a detangler. But when I finally loc (please, God, this month:pray:), I will still use watered-down conditioner. I don't care how much of it I use, my hair webs at the roots, so unless I follow up w/a comb thru, there ain't no detangling going on. I also like the idea of just using rose water and oil, so maybe when I'm out of product I will transition to this.

LOVE Damian! I considered flying to TX, but a buddy of mine coils so I'm good.

mscocoface

I happened to find Yannie when I started my locs last year. I follow most of her advice. Use what I can and keep it moving for the rest. For the most part much of what she have suggested I have followed and I think my hair and my sanity have stayed in place because of it. :) I use the rosewater with the vitamin E oil and I don't wash very regular nor do I retwist at lot. I had to follow this process for most of the year because I had a torn rotator cuff and I am doing my own hair. Hair seems to be thriving, DH loves it , I am no longer a product junkie and I don't have to do my hair all the time. This is a beautiful thing!!!!!