Loving this site!!!

mrsmercery

I am a newbie (this is my first post). I've never committed to a hair care regimen for long, I've had the Dominican doobie a few times when I visit my sister in New York, I've worn weaves and braids, press and curl, straw sets, etc., I have even relaxed my naturally curly, yet dry hair-only to end up here: it's been 11 1/2 months since my last at home relaxer-a stylist cut off a few inches for me through the year, and just last week my niece (a cosmetology student) clipped my ends and my hair is completely even and about 1 1/2 inches below my shoulder. i found this site and I'm inspired to grow my hair back to where it was when I was young (along with my husband's coercing). It seems my hair hasn't been growing as much lately (too much manipulation?), I don't know. Anyhow, i may have 3 inches left of relaxed hair, and I have a Solia flat iron-Biosilk products, an Ion hair dryer, you name it (I could open a salon). I'm looking through all of your Fotki's (who knew there were fotki folders about hair care, let alone a "fotki"), and I want bra strap length or longer by this time next year, any tips? protective style suggesstions?... I don't know the lingo, yes I am still trying to figure out what APL means:spinning: Thanks ladies.

♦K.O♦

Welcome to LHCF.

APL means Arm Pit Length. It is the next "length stop" after your hair passes your shoulders. The length order is shoulder length, arm pit length, bra strap length, mid back, waist, tailbone, hip, etc.

Less manipulation is definitely better! Good luck on your healthy hair journey!

mrsmercery

Thanks! who knew my hair could be gorgeous again? when I look at old pictures of me I'm like what happened?-I guess too many different stylists telling me how they could do this and that (I'm a salon filp flopper). But I must say all of you ladies hair look gorgeous. I don't know what my hair "type" is but it is very dry and I can wear it from wet to air-dry (curly Last night, i got some latch hook braids that I will wear for a month (I was so "protective style" when I found this site) , then I will post some pics, I'll flat iron it then I will try no heat for 6 months...Let's see... How do you "no-comb"?

Last edited:

sweetcashew

Welcome to the forum. You'll find of wealth of information here. I'm sure that you'll be able to find a good regimen and meet your goals.:yep:

Diya

:welcome4: to LHCF!! You came to the right place if you want to get your hair back on point! Nothing can stop a group of supportive ladies on a mission!

Some advice, from one newbie to another, learn as much as you can from the ladies here, but be careful not to try EVERYTHING you read about. Experimenting can be fun for a while, but once you find products and techniques that work well for you, stick to them!! Your hair might not want to be bothered with all the stuff other people do to theirs. Too many of us have had to learn this lesson the hard way :rolleyes:. HHG (Happy hair growing)!

hothair

:welcome3: Loads of info on here I say start with a basic regimen wash and Deep condition once a week, moisturise your hair with a leave-in conditioner everyday especially your ends and seal with an oil I like castor oil(there's coconut oil, Extra virgin olive oil, wonder 8 etc). Good luck!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
:welcome: to the family :) Like a pp (previous poster) said, don't get caught up in the hype. Keep it simple and figure out what your hair likes. To answer your question about the no combing, I tried it for a few days and it DID NOT work for me. My hair tangles very easily and it needs to be combed daily. I don't know how all those ladies do it :rolleyes: I've found that my hair hates most of the things that everyone else raves about. Well, I don't mean to ramble, but my point is to keep it simple, don't jump on every bandwagon, and watch your hair thrive! :yep:

tdwillis

Hello:
I am a newbie too, but I've been lurking for months now. I absolutely love the site as well. I am on this site so much, last night my husband taught me how to moisturize and seal:grin:, then he warned me that if I used his ATM card to buy another product, I'd be on Oprah by myself. Thanks ladies for all the great tips.

tenderheaded

We're so glad you joined us:grin::grin: You will love it here! The archives provide a lot of info too. I stayed busy for HOURS just reading those:spinning: