Low Density Support Thread

SelfStyled

Unfortunately for me I am also part of this club- Thanks Shan for starting this. Yankee Candle I LOVE your posts. You are such a great writer.

My hair profile: My Hair Profile: My hair is naturally coarse, and the actual strands are quite thick and strong and resilient. My hair is low in porosity, which means that my cuticles are closed really really tight, and my hair will never be processed bone straight with a relaxer. My hair only appears thin because I have low density.

I am always amazed at how thin my hair is compared to the actual thickness of my strands. I am happy that my hair cannot process to bone straight because it allows my hair to look a little thicker. Like my sistren Yankee Candle it is definitely a genetic thing for me as well. My hair is really scalpy, and you always see me with a side part because my edges are also thin- it also my version of a comb over of sorts.

What have I found helpful?:

Spironolactone- it is a prescribed DHT blocker. I was losing my density so rapidly at what point I thought I would definitely be bald by the age of 40, and I am not- yay. The spiro for me has blocked the excessive dht on my scalp, and has put my hair loss into a standstill, or so it seems.

No more weaving-why do you think I am the half wig queen? Way too much tension on my precious scalp

Stretching Relaxers

Deep Conditioning with Heat- I have found to "plump" up my strands.

The use of Cellophanes- also adds temporary thickness and shine with no damage

Less Manipulation is better and allows me to retain more

The only thing I tried and hated was Rogaine- it made my scalp so itchy and my hair so DRY.

The information that I have learned from this website has been invaluable to me in my journey thus far. My quest was never for long hair but I just knew in my heart there had to be a way that I could make my hair healthier. I really love my hair, and I am thankful for every strand on my head. I have no length goals, just a goal of being able to wear my own hair down and not feeling self conscious about it.

As you can see I pretty much had to grow a whole new head of hair in 2 years, I would grow and then cut, and grow some more then cut.

purplepeace79

I have very low density. I have tried protein, cassia, castor oil...Now I just accept that my hair probably is not going to get more dense. I think its hereditary. I can relate to every single post in this thread.

I think its hereditary too
All the women in my maternal fam have low density hair and their hair ranges from 1s (my grandma and her siblings) to 3b/cs (my mom and her siblings and most of my female cousins). Doesnt matter the texture, the hair is fine and not dense.

zora

I too am part of this club. My hair can only grow so long without looking thin, so I'm constantly trimming it.

I'm so glad I'm not the only who screams 'No grease' to the dominicans.

My stratedy is to go natural and just blow out my hair. It gives an illusion of fullness. I also used to use rinses, but I'm trying to stay away from chemicals as much as possible.

mzsophisticated26

I think mine is hereditary also, yesterday I brought some nioxin poo and cond to try out. I am really interested in this joico clinicure line though, I saw it was much cheaper for a starter kit than nioxin I saw it in sleehair.com

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
My hair is thin just around the crown (right behind my hairline). I think it's hereditary for me b/c my mom can only part her hair in one place without completely exposing her scalp and i have aunts, uncles, and cousins with thinning in the same area. i'm thinking of using dht blocks to combat the thinning. my hair has always been pretty sparse but my crown has thinned significantly after having my son 4 yrs ago.

A biotin supplement and eating eggs (especially the yolk) regularly will help stall thinning in the crown. I have the same issue of heredity (maternal side of the family) and I suffer from it too a bit. I'm 52 and I'm working really hard to delay additional thinning as long as I can.

• Be very gentle with the crown hair. If you wash your hair in the shower, turn around and let the water hit the back of your hair versus the crown as much as you can and massage the scalp forward and down.

• I've also begun to gently section the hair in my crown area, gently manipulating it upward with a light moisturizer, and make a loose pin curl or twist using a "Good Hair Days Pin" at night. Doing this while stretching out my touch ups to 14 weeks or more creates height and an illusion of fuller hair at the crown. It makes my messy updos and faux buns look good.

Wildkat08

Checking in w/ fine hair and low density in the crown area. I believe that mine is hereditary too, but definitely not on my mother's side. Her and ALL of her siblings, and her 84 year old mother have the thickest most lush and beautiful curls you'd ever want to see, however I believe the culprit is my dad's side of the family. My half sister (my dad's daughter) is like all the way bald in the crown!!! It happened mainly after she had kids. I can tell that I'm more likely to take after my dad than my mom in this area. Im thinking about going to a dermatologist to explore my options, especially preventative options. There is supposedly some blood test that can be done to tell if you are predetermined to have thinning hair. Hopefully I can find a Dr that will do this test and offer some promising options. I've heard of the spironolactone,and would probably be interested in it. Anyone know of anything to help grow back hair? Cortisone shots, laser treatments, maybe a better form of minoxidil that doesnt dry out the hair and scalp? Just trying to keep this problem from getting to outta hand!

SelfStyled

I too am part of this club. My hair can only grow so long without looking thin, so I'm constantly trimming it.

I'm so glad I'm not the only who screams 'No grease' to the dominicans.

My stratedy is to go natural and just blow out my hair. It gives an illusion of fullness. I also used to use rinses, but I'm trying to stay away from chemicals as much as possible.

Yes to the bolded! I am constantly trimming back because os the same thing.

apemay1969

Unfortunately for me I am also part of this club- Thanks Shan for starting this. Yankee Candle I LOVE your posts. You are such a great writer.

My hair profile: My Hair Profile: My hair is naturally coarse, and the actual strands are quite thick and strong and resilient. My hair is low in porosity, which means that my cuticles are closed really really tight, and my hair will never be processed bone straight with a relaxer. My hair only appears thin because I have low density.

I am always amazed at how thin my hair is compared to the actual thickness of my strands. I am happy that my hair cannot process to bone straight because it allows my hair to look a little thicker. Like my sistren Yankee Candle it is definitely a genetic thing for me as well. My hair is really scalpy, and you always see me with a side part because my edges are also thin- it also my version of a comb over of sorts.

What have I found helpful?:

Spironolactone- it is a prescribed DHT blocker. I was losing my density so rapidly at what point I thought I would definitely be bald by the age of 40, and I am not- yay. The spiro for me has blocked the excessive dht on my scalp, and has put my hair loss into a standstill, or so it seems.

No more weaving-why do you think I am the half wig queen? Way too much tension on my precious scalp

Stretching Relaxers

Deep Conditioning with Heat- I have found to "plump" up my strands.

The use of Cellophanes- also adds temporary thickness and shine with no damage

Less Manipulation is better and allows me to retain more

The only thing I tried and hated was Rogaine- it made my scalp so itchy and my hair so DRY.

The information that I have learned from this website has been invaluable to me in my journey thus far. My quest was never for long hair but I just knew in my heart there had to be a way that I could make my hair healthier. I really love my hair, and I am thankful for every strand on my head. I have no length goals, just a goal of being able to wear my own hair down and not feeling self conscious about it.

As you can see I pretty much had to grow a whole new head of hair in 2 years, I would grow and then cut, and grow some more then cut.

I take that for my skin. Hmm....

MsSonya

I just got that Fine solutions 3pk for thinning hair at TJ Maxx. I will use it once a week and see how it goes.

otegwu

checking in...im sure im low density but I only felt like this happened when I went natural, and if i relax it may be even worse :(, im always study my scalp and hoping that i will still have hair on my head at 30!
Im sure its genetic also, my mums hair is very low density

Sometimes its hard to be encouraged because there isnt very much that can be done, but we have to work with what we've got, and all of you guys seem to definitely be doing that so well done. Im inspired :)

ceebee3

Checking In!

I also have fine strands and low density. My hair does not look so good straight, I rollerset for volume and do curly styles to make my hair appear fuller.

I also stretched my relaxers once or twice a year. Last year I relaxed 4 times and that was a lot.

This year I'm transitioning and I hope that helps, but it's genetic so there's not much hope for my natural hair either.

Aviah

Me. Though I seem to be more on the thicker end of thin, (I don't qualify for medium thickness I think) if that makes sense. Its one of the main reasons I went natural. It makes it look much thicker. When its an afro oit looks fine. Its when I'm in twists that you see a little more scalp. as for individual braids? eww-type scalpy. Even when I flat iron my hair I dn't use really high heat, because pin straight hair will show its thinness. I do take vitamins and don't get too much shedding. Um, that's all I do about it, its as healthy as its ever been, there's no more thickness to come I guess.

AtlantaJJ

Yes to the bolded! I am constantly trimming back because os the same thing.
I had to get off the Sprio because it made my potassium levels too high. Are you having your potassium levels monitored via periodic blood tests? If not please do! Spiro is a potassium sparing diuretic that's what can cause your potassium to get too high.

:perplexed I'm using Saw Palmetto and Maca Root. When I use it like I should it helps a lot.

I'm on the hunt for natural DHT blockers. Evening Primrose oil is good for hormones, flax seeds & oil & Borage oils are all good at helping the body metabolize hormones. Saw Palmetto seems to be one of the most hopeful natural supplements on the market. I find that taking collagen supplements help with thickness of my strands as wekk. I don't go a day without taking my biotin and B5 (take them together, it helps stop breakouts)

ETA:

I just started taking this supplement to replace my regular Saw Palmetto. These types of supplements are marketed generally to men with prostrate problems but the DHT that attacks the prostate is the same hormone by product that causes male/female pattern baldness and research has shown that these natural supplements work as well as the pharmaceuticals without the side effects.

I was using Saw Palmetto alone and I know I would have lost more hair when I stopped the Sprio if I wasn't taking Saw Palmetto. I'm finding that the Saw Palmetto combined with Pygeum - Herbal DHT Blocker is supposed to be even better. (Add Stinging Nettle to that list - this may cause side effects)

I don't know why there isn't more information about this out there for women. I put two and two together and figured it out myself last year. Now I'm starting to see more info about natural ways to block DHT from doing damage to hair follicles.

Last edited:

sqzbly1908

I was under the impression the DHT was for male pattern baldness in men and women - it is good while you are using it but once your stop you lose your hair...

Isn't the Joico Clinicure something like this?

AtlantaJJ

Shan2001 - I have been wanting to tell you that your hair looks awesome in your avatar.

You all may want to look into Joico's Clinicure line. I have been using it for about a week now it and it is AMAZING! It is designed for thinning hair.

I love it for the tingle and to get Diana Ross hair :grin: :gorgeous:

Where do you get your Clinicure products from, I know JOICO make some good products!!

ETA: Oh I see Ulta carries the products. Thank you!

Last edited:

Eluv

I’m definitely part of this club my hair is fine and has low density.

I have no real solution, because I am done wasting money on products to resolve the thin effect.

I’ve learned to just accept it by rarely wearing my hair pressed or down because it’s more obvious. I primarily wear my hair in textured updos even while braided or twisted.

Desiree4

My hair has always been low density and fine, which is one of the reasons why I went
natural. My coils and kinks mask the problem but still not as full and thick as I would like it to be.

apemay1969

I had to get off the Sprio because it made my potassium levels too high. Are you having your potassium levels monitored via periodic blood tests? If not please do! Spiro is a potassium sparing diuretic that's what can cause your potassium to get too high.

:perplexed I'm using Saw Palmetto and Maca Root. When I use it like I should it helps a lot.

I'm on the hunt for natural DHT blockers. Evening Primrose oil is good for hormones, flax seeds & oil & Borage oils are all good at helping the body metabolize hormones. Saw Palmetto seems to be one of the most hopeful natural supplements on the market. I find that taking collagen supplements help with thickness of my strands as wekk. I don't go a day without taking my biotin and B5 (take them together, it helps stop breakouts)

ETA:

I just started taking this supplement to replace my regular Saw Palmetto. These types of supplements are marketed generally to men with prostrate problems but the DHT that attacks the prostate is the same hormone by product that causes male/female pattern baldness and research has shown that these natural supplements work as well as the pharmaceuticals without the side effects.

I was using Saw Palmetto alone and I know I would have lost more hair when I stopped the Sprio if I wasn't taking Saw Palmetto. I'm finding that the Saw Palmetto combined with Pygeum - Herbal DHT Blocker is supposed to be even better. (Add Stinging Nettle to that list - this may cause side effects)

I don't know why there isn't more information about this out there for women. I put two and two together and figured it out myself last year. Now I'm starting to see more info about natural ways to block DHT from doing damage to hair follicles.

I'm taking spiro now and it helped in the past. It's mainly for my rosasea and hormone based breakouts. It also helps my thinning hair. I will discuss this with my general practioner and/or physician's assistant at my next visit. You got me kind of scurred. I'll research the symptoms and effects of high potassium levels.

I also take maca root for endurance during workouts and to replace coffee in the morning. I put it in my protein shake. How does it help with androgen levels or DHT blocking or whatever else? I'm also taking biotin for hair and b-vitamins and evening primrose for cystic breasts. I didn't know that all that all of them would help with thickening hair.

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I'm taking spiro now and it helped in the past. It's mainly for my rosasea and hormone based breakouts. It also helps my thinning hair. I will discuss this with my general practioner and/or physician's assistant at my next visit. You got me kind of scurred. I'll research the symptoms and effects of high potassium levels.

I also take maca root for endurance during workouts and to replace coffee in the morning. I put it in my protein shake. How does it help with androgen levels or DHT blocking or whatever else? I'm also taking biotin for hair and b-vitamins and evening primrose for cystic breasts. I didn't know that all that all of them would help with thickening hair.
Girl have them do blood tests to check your potassium levels at least once per quarter. Too much potassium will mess with your heart :thud:

The Spiro worked for me too but I'd rather be bald and alive than dead with hair. Your potassium levels definitely need to be monitored while you are on this medication, and I am surprised at how casual they are about prescribing it for the off label use because of this potentially deadly side effect.

Maca is good because it balances the hormones in general, it's not a DHT blocker, but anything that will help balance the hormones is benefical.

The GLA in Borage Oil and Evening Primrose oils is a DHT blocker. Thats one of the reasons why it helps with the oily skin and acne. Cystic breasts is one of the side effects of out of balance hormones. I'm finding that all this stuff is related to whacky hormones. The thing to do is to get a handle on those hormones.

ETA: Have them run a liver panel screen on you too just to be on the safe side while taking this drug too.

What side effects may occur?
Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Aldactone.

Side effects may include:
Abdominal cramps, breast development in males, change in potassium levels (leading to such symptoms as dry mouth, excessive thirst, weak or irregular heartbeat, and muscle pain or cramps), deepening of voice, diarrhea, drowsiness, excessive hairiness, fever, headache, hives, irregular menstruation, kidney problems, lack of coordination, lethargy, liver problems, mental confusion, postmenopausal bleeding, severe allergic reaction, sexual dysfunction, skin eruptions, stomach bleeding, stomach inflammation, ulcers, vomiting
Why should Spironolactone not be prescribed?

You should not take Aldactone if you have kidney disease, an inability to urinate, difficulty urinating, or high potassium levels in your blood.

http://www.drugs.com/spironolactone.html

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I checked the ingredients in the Joico Clinicure line at Ulta last night and they had to many parbens in it for my taste, but they gave me an idea to make my own scalp concoction with a Castor / jojoba oil base. I might even try an Emu oil based mixture too. :yep:

This is the main ingredients (along with a lot of stuff I couldn't pronounce) It's easy to get these extracts / essential oils without all the chemical goo.

I bet many of herbs in this list would work well if taken internally moreso than just used on the scalp. That's just my theory...

JOICO CLINICURE INGREDIENT LIST:
Gingko (Gingko Biloba) - Ginkgo has been used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat circulatory disorders. Laboratory studies have shown that GBE improves blood circulation by dilating blood vessels and reducing the stickiness of blood platelets. Ginkgo leaves also contain two types of chemicals (flavonoids and terpenoids) believed to have potent antioxidant properties. Additionally, early studies have shown ginkgo biloba extract appears to arrest the progression of vitiligo, an autoimmune disease related to alopecia areata (single spot hair loss).

Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) - In traditional Chinese medicine, ginseng is viewed as an adaptogenic herb, normalizing the functions of the body, including reducing the risk of hair loss. In a study conducted earlier this year at the University of Hong Kong, ginseng was shown to have anti-inflammatory effects on CXCL-10, a cytokine. Cytokines play a major role in the pathophysiology of alopecia areata.

Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)- Glycyrrhetinic acid, a derivative synthesized from licorice, has a similar structure to that of cortisone. As such, licorice has potent anti-inflammatory effects. Since the causative factor in developing androgenic alopecia is believed to be a sensitivity to DHT, substances which are anti-inflammatory could potentially reduce local inflammation and modulate the immune response.

Nettle (Urtica dioica) - Nettle has been shown to alleviate dandruff as well as increase the sheen of hair. Nettle belongs to a class of substances that are topical irritants.

Capsaicin, a similar substance to nettle, has been studied with positive results for the treatment of alopecia areata. By increasing blood circulation to the area and reducing cytokine expression, nettle may help alleviate hair loss caused by an immune response.

Vitamin B6 (Pyroxidine HCl) - Clinical studies have suggested that Pyroxidine HCl may help prevent dandruff, sebhorrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. Additionally, it plays a role in balancing hormonal changes in women. Since hormonal changes are a contributing factor in developing androgenic alopecia in women, Pyroxidine HCl may help reduce the risk of development or inhibit further progression of female androgenic alopecia.

Yi Yi Ren (Coix lacrymajobi) - In traditional Chinese Medicine, yi yi ren is a therapeutic herb used to reduce inflammation in the body as well as to treat eczema and conditions of the scalp.

Last edited:

SelfStyled

OMG AtlantaJJ- I have never had my potassium levels checked. Will be calling my MD . Thank you so much for sharing, heart you sis.

AtlantaJJ

OMG AtlantaJJ- I have never had my potassium levels checked. Will be calling my MD . Thank you so much for sharing, heart you sis.
Imagine my surprise when I got the phone call about my lab results. I had just gone in for my routine OB/GYN annual exam. They did blood work in the past, but I didn't understand that they were monitoring my potassium levels.

I drink a lot of grapefruit juice and eat spinach almost every day so I know why my potassium was high. Seems like everything I like to eat is high in potassium!

You might be fine with it, but I think everyone should be informed of the risks when this medication is prescribed.

NaturalPath

Yes this is me as well and it is so frustrating because I feel as though styles are very limiting. I can not do twists (which I was looking forward to when I became natural) because they look extremely childish on my head due to the scalpy parts.

I know this is weird, but I like using products that have a sort of film on the hair like giovanni because it adds temporary thickness to my hair.

Henna worked pretty well, but it texturized and I do not desire my hair to loosen its curl