My Sister's Hair (PICS) Battling thin strands, low density

Sade'

here are some progress pics of my fine/low density hair.

1st pic blowdried & flat ironed , 2nd pic is rollerset and flatiron and the last pic is blowdried.

Great progress! How did u get ur hair to look so much better? Reggie pls!

Geminigirl

Hated it! My hair is fine as well. I swear I had thick hair as a child. Stupid relaxers probably effed me up for life. I do agree my hair was thicker when I henna'd and used my Ayuvedric oils. That's something I enjoy doing in the summer time but I just don't have the time right now.

When I flatironed my hair for the first time awhile ago, I told myself it will probably be the last. I was so disappointed and was expecting something much better. This is why right now my luv/hate relationship with my hair, is just hate.

cutiebe2

My hair is thin and fine as well. Honeslty, I have done everything...I did not use any type of heat for 1.5 years!!!! There is no helping it, as soon as I flat ironed it looked thin as all get out, I was very discouraged. If you have thin hair there is only so much you can do to make smoke and mirrors

But I will say that my hair in its natural state looks very nice and full. I do braid-outs and it looks pretty full. One tip is to do a rollerset but without heat..there is a YT like somewhere of a girl that does it and her hair looks straighter but still has tons of body

Ediese

Ediese I has your sister considered BKT?

The reason I say this is that I am using it to transition. When I first got it done my hair was bone straight and thin, however after the first wash my hair has a little volume but is soft and manageable. My plan is to progress my BKT to the point where I can wash DC and then style with roller-sets, curl-formers, bantu knots, braid outs and twist outs, all of which can be a little tricky on wet natural hair due to shrinkage. I still get shrinkage but it just feels more manageable.

Also your sister can try out the treatment on small sections of her hair at the nape, crown and front and see how it goes. The first treatment will not have such a huge effect that it would be glaring obvious and stick out.

One word of warning though is that as your sister has superfine hair like me I would advise her NOT to put the BKT on her relaxed ends or just lightly apply and do 1 or 2 passes and instead really focus the BKT on her roots.

HTH's

Thanks so much ladies for the wonderful advice! :yep: I've mentioned BKT to her especially since she's transitioning. I'm thinking about getting it done, so I think she's probably follow suit.

Charmtreese, you've made excellent progress!

Last edited:

lillylovely

I'm so pleased I found this thread. I started my journey nearly 2 years ago and as my natural 3c/4a hair is getting healthier and longer the length is just making it look extra thin. It looks very sad and unloved.:ohwell:

I have always had looow density, fiiiine strands and back in the day when my hair was relaxed you could see my scalp through the hair especially when it was first done.

Reading your posts I am slowly getting used to the fact that I may have to trim my ends regularly which are prone to tangling and knotting. I have never had long hair so I am so scissor shy:ohwell:

I hope to dear God rollersets help me look normal when I stop wearing my wigs and show off my long hair, otherwise I'll be wearing false hair for the rest of my life:nono:

On the bright side - my hair is growing at a healthy rate and I am enjoying my new mainly shoulder length hair:yep:

missnurselady

I have the same problem. I have been wearing weaves and wigs forever because of this.
]

Last edited:

Lady Esquire

My hair looks just like your sister's when I have uneven lengths, which is pretty much all the time. :look: When my hair was at its thickest, I was regularly:

Prepooing with heat,
DCing with heat,
Co-washing,
Sealing after moisturizing,
Trimming and dusting,
Rollersetting,
Baggying, and
Protective styling.

A nice blunt trim will give her a jump start. And incorporating eggs for protein and oils, honey, yogurt, molasses, coconut milk for DCs, also helps to moisturize it.

The biggest mistake I've made with my hair was not keeping up with the trims. Now I am a firm believer that you have to stay on top of the trimming, especially if you have low density and fine ends.

glamazon386

OT but glamazon, your hair is beautiful. How did you get the waves in your siggy?

Sorry I'm just seeing this but thanks. That wasn't my hair. In order to get those waves - I purchased them that way. It was a weave I had installed for my birthday. It's just Spanish Wavy hair that I cut into a bob.

Ese88

my hair is the same way. taht is also part of the reason im transitioning back to natural

luckiestdestiny

Wait, so she's only 9 months post? That thin hair you're seeing is the relaxed hair I would think. So that's why you're seeing the difference.

I have thin (but dense hair) and now that I'm natural, it looks really thick. I think once those ends are gone it'll look better (that's if she isn't going back to a relaxer, otherwise, it will at least look the same everywhere once the rest is relaxed, thus there won't be a noticeable difference from beginning to end).

It also looks to me that her hair isn't growing out evenly. So that's also contributing to the thin look. I think that those with fine hair need a blunt cut, to look thicker. It's not something she should worry about now that it's growing out, but when she gets to her final destination. If she's doing installs, just put it back (install) and KIM. It will get better once the relaxed hair is gone, and she has a blunt cut.

IMO chlorella made my hair appear thicker (or maybe denser because more hairs grew, I guess because my hair's still look thin individually but when my hair is down it looks pretty darn thick), I also do tea rinses (nettle) so maybe that attributes.

But just doing the whole blunt cut when she gets to her final destination, and chopping off those relaxed ends will make a world of difference.:yep:

Last edited:

mzsophisticated26

This is my hair all day long...lol that is one reason why I chose to texlax my hair which helped some but I have low density strands that are hereditary. I only wear my real hair out maybe one week out of the month the rest of the time its tucked under a half wig until I get some thickness. I stopped getting sew ins since last july because it seem like my fine strands were getting really thin. I rollerset and DC weekly, if I do flat iron I do it lightly with 1 pass. I keep my hair jet black which helps also.

BlaqBella

Like these wonderful ladies mentioned "E".....pincurls, upping protein (if need be), and maybe ayuverda powders, oh and castor oil added to dc or something. keep us posted

ETA: Your blog is really cool btw...thanks for the helpful info.

Last edited: