MEN & NATURAL HAIR

What do you think about being natural and being single? Do you think men (all races considered) are more attracted to natural hair ladies?What had been your experiences? And if you are in a relationship what does your husband/ boyfriend feel about natural hair?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

most of the men I know are obsessed with long, GREAT SMELLING hair! they only continuously express that they hate weaves:ohwell:

they seem to "couldn't care less" about whether it's natural or relaxed :-/

(i have African male friends that prefer natural hair... despite dating relaxed ladies ) roflmao!!!

Last edited:

MzSwift

Hubby loves my natural more than my short pixie or curly cut that I rocked for 15 years.

Men of all races seem to respond positively to my fro whenever I rock it out.

glamazon386

I've always gotten compliments from men on my natural hair. Men of any race. Definitely more compliments than I ever got on my relaxed/straight hair styles. If a man didn't particularly care for it, they didn't make it known. I'm assuming those men did not approach me.

SO loves my hair. He was skeptical about it at first (I was wearing a wig when we met and a weave on our first few dates) but once he saw it he liked it. He's trying to convince me to loc in now. I convinced him to loc a few years back. He had braids when we met and they had to go. :look:

LilMissRed

Most men I know prefer long hair, but like someone else said... they frown on 'weave-age'

DH loves my hair natural. Mind u he used to be one of those i like long but not fake hair guys.. even tho he liked my weaves-GO FIGURE :shrugs: He sees now that my hair has flourished since going natural and says he loves it :D

melissa-bee

I've been single for the longest... but I've noticed since I've gone natural I've been getting more attention from guys my age and younger as opposed to when I was relaxed,I was getting attention from older guys. I don't really think it goes hand in hand though.

Last edited:

NaturalBeauty<3

hmm. My bf ignores my natural hair. Its normally pulled back in a bun, curly. He used to love it...
until he saw all the attention I got from ALL males :lol: Sometimes out of curiousity...or wondering how long it is when I wear it down... I'm 21 btw. Its VERY rare to see a woman my age wearing her hair. Plus, I let people touch it. He feels a certain way about that...lol.
But when i'm fresh out the shower after cowashing, and I'm moisturizing and sealing...He gives me that smug "yeah thats my girls hair" look (that look your bf gets around his boys when their gf have weave or somethin, smh) and will lightly pull a curl or somethin. I'm liiiike...uhm...
i grew it fool. :lol: I know its mine.

Duchesse

I've never received any compliments on my hair when I wear wigs :lol:, though I attract plenty men with them.. I've received compliments on my hair when I wear it in a bun or poof or braidout. The last time I was in a relationship my hair was transitioning and he said he liked my "frizzy" hair but that I should let it grow as long as it will grow. So IME, men like hair that is real and has some length to it.

BlackMasterPiece

Men (of a myriad of backgrounds) comment positively on my coils or outright gush about it lol. It's such a great iconic aspect of my look, it makes you all the more unforgettable.

Men (of a myriad of backgrounds) comment positively on my coils or outright gush about it lol. It's such a great iconic aspect of my look, it makes you all the more unforgettable.

I have had the same experience so far even my ex-boyfriend have said your hair is so beautiful & I can't wait till it grows out

I've never received any compliments on my hair when I wear wigs :lol:, though I attract plenty men with them.. I've received compliments on my hair when I wear it in a bun or poof or braidout. The last time I was in a relationship my hair was transitioning and he said he liked my "frizzy" hair but that I should let it grow as long as it will grow. So IME, men like hair that is real and has some length to it.

@ duchesse for some reason I'm afraid to wear wigs even though I think it's a great protective style when did you start wearing them like age wise if you don't mind me asking?

[QUOTE=NaturalBeauty lol thts kinda cute tht he's a lil jealous of ppl touching your hair but he should be happy tht u have hair b/c most ppl our age are kinda bald or have perms tht make their hair look thin and fragile so I say u go girl!

Cosign. I've dated three different ethnicities in the past (African, white, and east asian). The common denominator is that men like great smelling, HEALTHY looking hair.

The other stuff is minor, for example - the white guy always wanted me to wear it down. The asian guy was kind of obsessed with me taking care of it (but I gathered from his mom/aunts that this is a huge part of being a woman in their culture. there are even poems on how a woman can attract a man with her hair alone). The african men were afraid to touch it (lol!) but can definitely appreciate some long, healthy hair.

@ rejuvenation I agree and fir some reason it seems like men if other races appreciate natural hair more than black men y is tht?! Smh

most of the men I know are obsessed with long, flowing, GREAT SMELLING hair! they only continuously express that they hate weaves:ohwell:

they seem to "couldn't care less" about whether it's natural or relaxed :-/

(i have African male friends that prefer natural hair... despite dating relaxed ladies ) roflmao!!!

Naturalhairproject Lol the weave thing I get b/c they feel they cannot touch it when it's weaves up

Naturalhaven

I went out last friday to karaoke and was getting LOT more attention than I usually do when I wear my wigs so.....I think most like natural hair.

Jewell

My fiancee' (I asked him today what he prefers--weaves/wigs, or a woman with natural hair whether it is relaxed, kinky/curly/natural, or straightened). He says he prefers natural hair on a woman (me), and also doesn't like too much makeup. Granted I have worn my natural hair out only ONCE since I've known him (2-3 yrs), the rest of the time I wore wigs! I don't think he knew they were wigs and not weaves, but he always did say something to compliment my hair, whether I was in a curly honey blonde wig one week, and a black/auburn long one the next.

When I was single, I got compliments on the wigs, but those came mostly from women. The men don't say anything. I've only gotten compliments from men while single on my bone straight relaxed hair. Older men (like almost 70+) like me to have it natural...I had some Celie braids and the neighbor said, "Now see, that's how you should wear your hair." <old enuf to be my grandpa, has only seen me in wigs or with a scarf on my head if I just run outside to throw out my trash... I was like...UMM NO, not in public I won't be rocking this!

I'm going to take the dive and start wearing my natural hair out (just BC'd in Jan, have rocked wigs since Aug. '10 and mostly during my transition). I will check back and let ya know what I discover! lol

1rarejewel

In my case, my hubby seems to prefer the permed hair. He hates when I twist, or cornrow. He always wants me to straighten it...(uh...dear, that's not happnin'). I b/cd to bald (about 1/8 inch) in Sept 04 and never looked back to perms. Before hubby deployed I was finally starting to show a little length when blowdried, but I have serious shrinkage.

On the other hand, white men seem to love my natural hair. They actually comment on how nice my twists and fro (or blowout) look. One though, I had to check because he ran his fingers through it and I was like "uh, wait a goshdarn minute brah...I'm black...and in its natural state you can't just glide your fingers through my hair...do it again and you'll pull back a nub"...grrr. I knew him, and it wasn't a weave check...it was more of a texture curiosity thing, but still. Positive or negative, I get more comments from white men than black, but I've never had a white man say anything negative about my natural hair.

CheLala13

Guys (mostly white) seem to love my hair. They like it when it's really big and frizzy or if it's in twists and twistouts. They always seem to have a lot of compliments. I like that people like my hair, but personally, my hair definitely goes with my personality (I'm a really silly, bubbly person) and people always want to squeeze it when it's in a ponytail or something, which I don't mind (they always ask first). Matter of fact, the only people who don't ask and try to touch my hair are young black guys. I'm always ducking and ready to break an arm or two.

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
The only men that have commented on my hair that aren't family are the 2 a-holes I used to work for. They both hated my natural hair. They expected me to straighten it for work and only complimented me when it was straight. The funny part was one of their girl friend big chopped right after I started working there and I got the feeling he was annoyed with the fact that her hair would look like mine soon, lol.

My husband likes long hair. Period. Curly, kinky, straight. Length and color are his vices. He likes red head s too, but I don't think I can quite pull of that color. The longer my hair gets the more he likes it. I don't like to straighten it because he sees the length and then he wants me to wear it like that all the time.

EllePixie

Men seem to fawn over my hair, which imo is a bit lame b/c they are usually in awe that I am wearing my own natural hair out, and I think it's stupid that they are so impressed by this. Shrug. The only negative comment I got about my hair was a male friend told me that black women can't grow long natural hair (this is when I told him I was growing it to WL) , unless they braid it or loc it because otherwise it looks too wild, but then he tried to back track it and say mine was cute enough to pull off....uh-huh. Point is, yes men compliment my hair, it doesn't make me feel any kind of way.

Oh, and I'm single, and I refuse to date right now b/c guys get on my nerves and stress hinders hair growth. :) But if your original question was really asking if natural hair hinders dating, it def doesn't.

My fiancee' (I asked him today what he prefers--weaves/wigs, or a woman with natural hair whether it is relaxed, kinky/curly/natural, or straightened). He says he prefers natural hair on a woman (me), and also doesn't like too much makeup. Granted I have worn my natural hair out only ONCE since I've known him (2-3 yrs), the rest of the time I wore wigs! I don't think he knew they were wigs and not weaves, but he always did say something to compliment my hair, whether I was in a curly honey blonde wig one week, and a black/auburn long one the next.

When I was single, I got compliments on the wigs, but those came mostly from women. The men don't say anything. I've only gotten compliments from men while single on my bone straight relaxed hair. Older men (like almost 70+) like me to have it natural...I had some Celie braids and the neighbor said, "Now see, that's how you should wear your hair." <old enuf to be my grandpa, has only seen me in wigs or with a scarf on my head if I just run outside to throw out my trash... I was like...UMM NO, not in public I won't be rocking this!

I'm going to take the dive and start wearing my natural hair out (just BC'd in Jan, have rocked wigs since Aug. '10 and mostly during my transition). I will check back and let ya know what I discover! lol

Lol oh no not the dookie celie braids too funny!

Sent from my iPhone4 using LHCF

In my case, my hubby seems to prefer the permed hair. He hates when I twist, or cornrow. He always wants me to straighten it...(uh...dear, that's not happnin'). I b/cd to bald (about 1/8 inch) in Sept 04 and never looked back to perms. Before hubby deployed I was finally starting to show a little length when blowdried, but I have serious shrinkage.

On the other hand, white men seem to love my natural hair. They actually comment on how nice my twists and fro (or blowout) look. One though, I had to check because he ran his fingers through it and I was like "uh, wait a goshdarn minute brah...I'm black...and in its natural state you can't just glide your fingers through my hair...do it again and you'll pull back a nub"...grrr. I knew him, and it wasn't a weave check...it was more of a texture curiosity thing, but still. Positive or negative, I get more comments from white men than black, but I've never had a white man say anything negative about my natural hair.

It seems other races always want to feel our hair

Men seem to fawn over my hair, which imo is a bit lame b/c they are usually in awe that I am wearing my own natural hair out, and I think it's stupid that they are so impressed by this. Shrug. The only negative comment I got about my hair was a male friend told me that black women can't grow long natural hair (this is when I told him I was growing it to WL) , unless they braid it or loc it because otherwise it looks too wild, but then he tried to back track it and say mine was cute enough to pull off....uh-huh. Point is, yes men compliment my hair, it doesn't make me feel any kind of way.

Oh, and I'm single, and I refuse to date right now b/c guys get on my nerves and stress hinders hair growth. :) But if your original question was really asking if natural hair hinders dating, it def doesn't.

I agree most guys = stress = limited hair growth solution= do you!

nik83

I've been single for the longest... but I've noticed since I've gone natural I've been getting more attention from guys my age and younger as opposed to when I was relaxed,I was getting attention from older guys. I don't really think it goes hand in hand though.
Maybe there is something to that, b/c I experienced the same thing. I assummed I looked older with the relaxed hair, and younger with the natural. Something to think about.