Miss Jessie's products, worth the price?

frida1980

Just saw Miss Jessie in Target. I was surprised to see the price tags. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Which products are the best for natural hair? Are they worth the cost or should I try alternatives?

2. Do any of these products benefit straight hair?

Janet'

Not to me...

If I am going to do mineral oil and alcohol, there are much cheaper products that I would choose...

I did try them for myself, though...wasn't pleased...

Miss Jessie's is more for the "curly" look, not so much for straight hair.

KnitChick

Honestly, Her products are filled with Petroleum Jelly and Mineral oil, and for the price she charges it's not worth it IMHO . You can get really great all natural hair care products that perform better for a lot less..

Look through the vendors/seller review form and you can get a good idea of product lines to try. HTH

lilsparkle825

I love the Baby Buttercreme (smells better than the Curly Buttercreme) and the Curly Pudding (although I'd rather have the unscented variety), but I have never and would never pay full price for them. I get them from eBay, swaps, or the exchange board whenever I want them.

I can't see how they would benefit straight hair. I had them when I was transitioning and they made the relaxed ends of my hair look dumb.

southerncitygirl

nopeand i have 2 friends who ended up with breakage from them....one had type 3c hair and the other has 4b, my type 4 friend had to cut off several inches in a short span of time and was only using the styling products.....petro-chemical and cone city! so overpriced!

preciouslove0x

Tried a few.
Worked well.
Only tried them b/c they were sent to me for a fraction of the price
Would I ever go to Target or site to buy full price? honestly... HAYLE NO!
With those ingredients, I can go find something MUCH cheaper to perform the same
My opinion, she's taking advantage of the recent "natural craze" People see her products for natural hair before many others so they think that they have to spend the money to get "good quality" products. I think it's sad because I know there's no possible way she could justify tagging extremely outrageous prices for crappy ingredients. How greedy can one be??

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I have curly hair and found the only product that "worked" for me was the Quick Curls. However, its overpriced and coated my hair to the point that I felt the need to co-wash daily.

StopMakingSense

I am really shocked by the ingredients. I don't understand the price; can someone post the ingredients in full or where I may find them? I went to her site but couldn't get the low down.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Curly pudding:

water, parafinium liquidum, glycerin, triethanolamine, fragrance, carbomer, PEG-12 dimethicone, dipropylene glycol, silk amino acids, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, avocado oil, shea butter, sweet almond oil, jojoba seed oil, macademia seed oil, oleth05, ethylhexyl methoxycinnanate, disodium EDTA, DMDM hydantion, ext. violet 2

Buttercreme:
Deionized Water, Acetylated Lanolin, Beeswax , Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, Carbomer 940, Fragrance, Peppermint Oil, Castor Oil, Dilaurate Laneth-15, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydrolyzed Animal Protein, Imidazolidinyl, Jojoba Oil, Laneth 15, Mineral Oil ,Methyl Paraben, Milk Protein, Panthenol, Paraffin, PEG-400, PEG-100, Stearate, Petrolatum, Propyl Paraben, Triethanolamine, Vitamin E, Wheat Germ Oil.

bronzebomb

I really like Miss Jessie's. They give my hair a "finished" look.

Attachments

• mjmeringue.jpg
    mjmeringue.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

keepithealthy

I'm just to cheap to pay that much for a product. I have found other products at more reasonable prices and my hair seems to be doing fine. :)

Qtee

I didnt like their products especially for the price..I feel the same about kinky curly curling custard..just give me a big ole jar of my cheapie eco styler and I'm good..gives me perfect hair everytime without me looking like the return of the jherri curl..

ericajoy

I bought a little sample size of curly pudding (2 oz. for $7 from Naturally Curly) to see what the fuss was about. I didn't like and in fact would send it to you if you want. It didn't do anything magical for my hair at all and for me was definitely not worth the price. Plus I can't stand the smell.

kellistarr

I really like Miss Jessie's products. I've used quite a bit from the line and really can't find fault with any of it. Sure, there is always something cheaper that works, my own curly cream works awesome, when I feel like making it, but if you're wanting to know about the Miss Jessie's line, my hair likes it. My favorite product is the Curly Meringue. Gives my curls all that I'm looking for. The butters, puddings, conditioning treatments and shampoo's are all good with me.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

OP i love the baby butter creme... shine devine!

I've just recently realized I may stretch it pretty well with Aloe vera gel

..... NOW i have to find a AVG brand that doesn't make my hair crunchy

Nina_1987

Miss Jessie's isn't the only products for natural hair guilty for overpriced products seems like all products specifically for natural hair are bank breakers, plus my ridiculously thick and dry hair what a dangerous combination.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I would never buy any of Miss Jessie's products. They are way too overpriced and contain basically crap ingredients.

HOWEVER ...

My cousin gave me 3 small 2 oz. samples because she didn't like them: the curly pudding, the non-scented curly pudding and the rapid recovery treatment.

I hate to admit it, but they work really well on my hair. However, I simply refuse to pay that much money for those products.

It's just the principal of it all. :ohwell:

Solitude

I like Miss Jessie's products. Curly Meringue gives me a great braidout, but I don't use it that often. My sister uses baby buttercreme on my niece's hair. I've tried every product in the line and the only one I didn't like was the super slip sudsy shampoo.

I read in Essence that they (the sisters that own the company) will be making a natural buttercreme. I like this line because the products work as advertised. As far as price, like any product, I only purchase what I can afford. This year, I stocked up during the sale.

Eta: "Miss Jessie" is not the name of the owner. The company is owned by Titi and Miko, two half-black, half-Japanese sisters. Miss Jessie was their black grandmother. This company was out way before a lot of these other lines.