Moisture has allowed me to retain tremendous length

Hey ladies

I am on my quest for waist length hair. For the lsat 4 months, I have been moisturizing my hair with Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner creme, and wearing a bun. i must say, i have really been able to retain length. my hair grows about .5 inch per month, and i think i have retained all of my lenghth. even with trims to correct unevenness, my hair has been growin nicely. So, my secret for hair retention....buns and moisture...i.e. no manipulation and damp hair 24/7.

When you say damp hair I want to understand.
Are you wetting the hair daily puting in moisture
then bunning for the day? Do you wet it every day?

Moisture via co-washing is the truth! :yep::yep: I did it during my last 3 month stretch and my hairdresser said I had NO split ends! After 3 months! She didn't even trim. She waited until I came back 2 weeks later to get my highlights touched up - she said the bleach would open up my ends. But that's never happened before where I had NO SPLIT ENDS after 12 weeks!

I am also doing this with dd. Her hair got real dry this summer and over an inch had to be chopped off. :ohwell: Cowashing is keeping her hair SOOOOOO soft and easy to style. :lick:

Moisture via co-washing is the truth! :yep::yep: I did it during my last 3 month stretch and my hairdresser said I had NO split ends! After 3 months! She didn't even trim. She waited until I came back 2 weeks later to get my highlights touched up - she said the bleach would open up my ends. But that's never happened before where I had NO SPLIT ENDS after 12 weeks!

I am also doing this with dd. Her hair got real dry this summer and over an inch had to be chopped off. :ohwell: Cowashing is keeping her hair SOOOOOO soft and easy to style. :lick:

Just so I am clear cowashing is when you wet the hair and put a moisture conditioner on rinse out and style? :newbie:Do you only cowash or did you use shampoo for some washes?

Last edited:
moisture is always the truth. i wear my hair down everyday and i am still retaining alot of hair. right now im going back and forth between shescentit seyani butter and hairveda green tea butter. i might buy the cantu leave in.

I have to cosign on the moisture. I increased my weekly washes to every other day in June and have retained it. The moisture I have found out has been key for the retention. I was so skeptical about washing every other day, I was believing the myth that my hair would dry out- it has been the opposite, my hair has been more moist than it ever has.

Just so I am clear cowashing is when you wet the hair and put a moisture conditioner on rinse out and style? :newbie:Do you only cowash or did you use shampoo for some washes?
Your are right:yep:. All cowashing is using a conditioner to wash your hair rather than shampoo.

I have to cosign on the moisture. I increased my weekly washes to every other day in June and have retained it. The moisture I have found out has been key for the retention. I was so skeptical about washing every other day, I was believing the myth that my hair would dry out- it has been the opposite, my hair has been more moist than it ever has.

BIG FAT COSIGN

I believe the reason this summer was so good to my hair was because of all of the cowashing and what not I was doing to it. I would do that in the morning, lightly comb my hair into a bun, clip it, and let it dry. My amount of split ends decreased by more than 50%. Seriously, I was finding split ends left and right in certain sections of my hair and now, I find 2 in a section when I was finding 7 or 8.

Yes. :yep: I still use shampoo, but only every 7 - 10 days (usually when I want to wet set). I do this to avoid build up. However, there are ladies who go much longer without shampooing.

Every now and again a thread pops up about how to work out every day and still maintain your hair. Cowashing and wet bunning has been my answer. :yep: I've had to give up wearing my hair down every day but the health and growth of my hair is worth it. Plus I get a clean scalp/hair every day. It feels so good to rinse away that sweat. :drunk:

Yes. :yep: I still use shampoo, but only every 7 - 10 days (usually when I want to wet set). I do this to avoid build up. However, there are ladies who go much longer without shampooing.

Every now and again a thread pops up about how to work out every day and still maintain your hair. Cowashing and wet bunning has been my answer. :yep: I've had to give up wearing my hair down every day but the health and growth of my hair is worth it. Plus I get a clean scalp/hair every day. It feels so good to rinse away that sweat. :drunk:

Yes girl, especially when it is hot! I love it and my hair just drinks it up. The other day it was so hot here so I bought a bottle of water from the drugstore and just poured it on my whole head :lol: The guy at the BP was like, I didn't know black girls could do that :lol:

I'm going to try this. I just twisted my hair and I'm going to leave them in for at least the next 3 weeks and mist daily with evco on the ends.

Agreed! Let the church say amen. The bun, or in my case phony pony has been the answer. I love that I can actually use up all my conditioners now. And I hate having sweat on my scalp too!

I might try this next week I am about 5 weeks post last relaxer.
But my hair is only Neck Length so I cant bun:sad:

If I want to try this should I get me ends clipped now.
The last clip was in June08

Last edited:

ITA! I once thought that washing too often would dry out my hair, but that has not at all been the case. I co-sign with whoever else said that cowashing has been one of the best pieces of advice I've learned on here. I cowash my natural 'fro everyday (along with constantly spraying moisturizer in it) and I've never loved my hair more.

moisture moisture moisture is the best thing in the world for hair. i no longer wet bun but i still moisturize morning and night (right now im using hydratherma naturals growth lotion and the first ingre. is water) and wear my hair pinned up. we'll see how long this lasts seeing as how i love to wear my hair out.

cosigning on this thread moisture moisture moisture is the key to retaining hair.

Try washing your hair at night, put it in a pony and tie it down with a scarf- it should be dry in the morning.

This is what I've been doing for the last couple of months and I love it!

Until I see icycles growing from my head I'll be doing it all winter long

not mine..lol. the top part would be dry but tht pony will still be wet...not even damp

Okay - that made me laugh out loud:lachen:. Look at what your working w/ Sylver. But your right, everyone's hair is different. Just cause it works for me (fine head)- it may not work for everyone else.

ITA! I once thought that washing too often would dry out my hair, but that has not at all been the case. I co-sign with whoever else said that cowashing has been one of the best pieces of advice I've learned on here. I cowash my natural 'fro everyday (along with constantly spraying moisturizer in it) and I've never loved my hair more.

i have 4b nat like u and when i tried to cowash everyday...i got tangling maybe cos i didnt do anything to my hair afterwards besides moisturising...so mmy question is how do u style ur hair after cowashing everyday and waht spray moisturiser are u using?

For those of you concerned about keeping your hair moisturized during the winter I would suggest you moisturize the night before and/or the next morning ONLY moisturize your HAIR lightly not heavy and NOT the scalp. Concentrating on the ends and the middle of the hair. For the nape and hairline moisturize your fingers and lightly rub and pinch the hair not the skin. This way the scalp will be dry and warm but the hair will get the much needed moisture. It's not wet hair that gives us a cold it's prolonged wet skin. :yep:

Last edited:
Back