Moisture has allowed me to retain tremendous length

CurlyMoo,

I do the same thing. The night before, I moisturize my hair and then put a Moisture Lock cap on my head. In the morning my hair is really soft. The softness allows you to finger comb and clear any knots out of your hair.

ED
www.naturalhairgrows.com

Well I decided since I'm keeping my hair under wraps til december I'll be wearing a shower cap under my doorag to retain moisture starting yesterday.

CurlyMoo,

I do the same thing. The night before, I moisturize my hair and then put a Moisture Lock cap on my head. In the morning my hair is really soft. The softness allows you to finger comb and clear any knots out of your hair.

ED
www.naturalhairgrows.com

Edenhere, thank you for the link. I am really enjoying the articles. :yep: I especially like this one, I did everything except the Denman Brush. I don't know about that one.

http://biracialhair.org/Curly primer.html

Last edited:
so far so good:yep:thanks. coming up on 7months. jus gotta make it to march....:lol:

Off Topic:

u go girl!

*snaps finger and twirls away*

On Topic:

Slapped some Cantu on my head today and it calmed my fear about stretching to December...*hugs Sylver*

Hey ladies

I am on my quest for waist length hair. For the lsat 4 months, I have been moisturizing my hair with Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner creme, and wearing a bun. i must say, i have really been able to retain length. my hair grows about .5 inch per month, and i think i have retained all of my lenghth. even with trims to correct unevenness, my hair has been growin nicely. So, my secret for hair retention....buns and moisture...i.e. no manipulation and damp hair 24/7.

Thanks so much for sharing tsturnbu. I think I will start doing this now too.

Hey ladies

I am on my quest for waist length hair. For the lsat 4 months, I have been moisturizing my hair with Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner creme, and wearing a bun. i must say, i have really been able to retain length. my hair grows about .5 inch per month, and i think i have retained all of my lenghth. even with trims to correct unevenness, my hair has been growin nicely. So, my secret for hair retention....buns and moisture...i.e. no manipulation and damp hair 24/7.

Thanks for this thread and introducing us to Cantu. I was wondering if I could just use this as a conditioner, after the shampoo-MT-Cantu then style? That would really simplify my regimen. I could comb my hair with this in it and just leave it in. I wonder if I would get the same amount of shine that I get with Miss Jessy's Curly Pudding? :ohwell: I love how my hair shines after that but my hair is kinda crunchy and dry. But it looks fabulous and smells wonderful! :yep:

Moisture via co-washing is the truth! :yep::yep: I did it during my last 3 month stretch and my hairdresser said I had NO split ends! After 3 months! She didn't even trim. She waited until I came back 2 weeks later to get my highlights touched up - she said the bleach would open up my ends. But that's never happened before where I had NO SPLIT ENDS after 12 weeks!

I am also doing this with dd. Her hair got real dry this summer and over an inch had to be chopped off. :ohwell: Cowashing is keeping her hair SOOOOOO soft and easy to style. :lick:

How do you style your hair while wet, though? Do you bun it while wet; or do you let it air dry for a few hours, then bun?

Thanks so much for sharing tsturnbu. I think I will start doing this now too.

Girl, start doing it now! I love my damp buns. I especially like when i wear them for awhile, (2 months) and then get a perm. my reward for looking "jacked up" for 2 months is a few extra inches. I love it. Well, maybe i dont looked jacked up, but certainly not as done up as i would like.

Keep up the moisture. I love my cantu shea butter, and castor oil soaked scrunchie.

Thank you all so much for the info... quick question for those of you wearing damp buns on a daily basis... how often do you detangle? I only ask because I'm natural and have very thick hair, so there is no way that I would be able to create a decent bun w/o combing through my hair. TIA!

Thank you all so much for the info... quick question for those of you wearing damp buns on a daily basis... how often do you detangle? I only ask because I'm natural and have very thick hair, so there is no way that I would be able to create a decent bun w/o combing through my hair. TIA!

I co-wash every day, so I detangle every day too.
I find this to be less damaging to my hair and i never wear my hair out for it to get tangled in the first place.
I only comb while in the shower with condish in my hair and when I bun, I just slick my hair back with a boar bristle brush.

HTH.

Thanks for the great info tsturnbu, great thread!

Girl, start doing it now! I love my damp buns. I especially like when i wear them for awhile, (2 months) and then get a perm. my reward for looking "jacked up" for 2 months is a few extra inches. I love it. Well, maybe i dont looked jacked up, but certainly not as done up as i would like.

Keep up the moisture. I love my cantu shea butter, and castor oil soaked scrunchie.

I really luv that you said that. I just realized I'd been over proteining my hair to death causing dryness breakage and split ends. So now I'm on a moisture mission. I'll be bunning til Mar/Apr with loads and globs of moisture :lol: . I hope I get the same result as you... healthy beautiful hair ;)

I detangle about every 2 weeks. every 2 days, i run warm water over my hair to get any smells out and put my hair right back in the bun...comb does not touch my hair. my hands smooths my hair and because the cantu shea butter is still on my hair, my hair slides right back in place. i do have lots of shedding though when i wash it 2 weeks later, so i am very gentle with it.

I detangle about every 2 weeks. every 2 days, i run warm water over my hair to get any smells out and put my hair right back in the bun...comb does not touch my hair. my hands smooths my hair and because the cantu shea butter is still on my hair, my hair slides right back in place. i do have lots of shedding though when i wash it 2 weeks later, so i am very gentle with it.

Now that's what I call lo-manipulation!!! I am getting back on this track!

What ever this website says to do Im doing. I love her hair! Thats my dream I tell you!!!! Thanks!

You are welcome. Yeah I know, I just adore her story and think she is doing a great thing. I am so proud of her. Her hair is just gorgeous. I understand her past frustrations and teared up on more than one occasion especially when I see all that beautiful hair that should be on my head. :lachen: I will be buying that Denman brush. Dammit I was so against brushing while wet and only using the comb now it will be the opposite. Oh well, let's see where it gets me. I am looking to change up my regimen to be more simple. And it looks like her method is as simple as I want it. :yep:

CurlyMoo,

ED
www.naturalhairgrows.com

Oh by the way, what is a moisture lock cap? You almost slipped that one by me but I just caught it. :lachen:

Curly Moo,

You can find the moisture lock cap here:

http://www.expertwigs.com/_e/Access...ATIN_DRAWSTRING_CAP_W_MOISTURE_LOCK_0090_.htm

or at most local beauty supply stores.

It's three layers of satin, plastic, then satin again. It's also used as a conditioning cap, but I use it overnight. I put my moisturizer on, twist up my hair and then put the cap on. In the morning, my hair is really soft.

--ED
www.NaturalHairGrows.com

Ooooh! interesting! Looks like exactly what I need. Thanks for sharing :)

Curly Moo,

You can find the moisture lock cap here:

http://www.expertwigs.com/_e/Access...ATIN_DRAWSTRING_CAP_W_MOISTURE_LOCK_0090_.htm

or at most local beauty supply stores.

It's three layers of satin, plastic, then satin again. It's also used as a conditioning cap, but I use it overnight. I put my moisturizer on, twist up my hair and then put the cap on. In the morning, my hair is really soft.

--ED
www.NaturalHairGrows.com

Thank you. I just had a few questions. Is it comfortable to sleep in? Is satin really a soft polyester?

This moisture system really works. Its just hard for me b/c my hair is short and its hard to bun without weating pieces...

Definitely a do!

Curly Moo,

At first, yes, it was uncomfortable; I started wearing it during the hotter months, and my head would become warm because the plastic in the layers trap the moisture. For me, it wasn't the satin, (which you're right is a soft polyester), that was the issue, it was the heat that was trapped which does the moisturizing of your hair. It's like you're doing a steam treatment every night with your hair and at first it can be uncomfortable.

However, you can do variations on this, I also used a silk wrap over my hair and then put a simple plastic cap over it and slept on it, and I also experienced the same effect. The key is the steam. If the moisturizer and the steam from your body which leaves your head can work together, then in the morning, you'll notice the difference. This is just a variation of the baggy method, and other ways people tie up their hair at night with a cap. The key is the mini steam treatment.

--ED
www.NaturalHairGrows.com

Back