My Consultation with Mr John...

BronxDiva

Adrienne,
I think this is who they are talking about.....
Mr. John's Technique for Successful Holistic Black Hair Growth
by John L. Jackson

Blackndiangirl

I thought about buying his book and trying it but i decided i wouldnt. I did one soft press on my hair awhile back and didnt like it at all. I hated the way the press made my hair feel.I love my natural curls.

Integrity

i dont think i like what this 'mr john' and Dlow has to say. they just dont make common sense!!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif
man, stick to what works for you. carolyn gray, cathy howse, wannakee, brenda whatever(does she count? lol!!)..... these people just go to show there is no ONE route to healthy long beautiful hair. just experiment and find out what your hair likes, that s what they all did. /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tara

Does Mr. John have a website?

I finally checked out the D. Low site, and not to diss, but I just wasn't that impressed with Ms. Low's hair. I guess I'm so spoiled now after seeing Faith, Adrienne, Valleygirl, Tracy, Monicurl and so many of you that I'm harder to impress now....

I mean, since she is selling a product, her hair should look as good as the ladies that post on this board. IMO

So I was dissapointed when I saw her hair because her hair alone would discourage me from purchasing the products.

I'm curious to see Mr. John's hair and some of the photos of his "success" stories. Does anyone have his web address, or pics from his book that they can post?

Valerie

I must say that did not realise that hairshaft can get mildrew. I only thought that applies to wet things if you put them away in a closed containment or so. He sounds so plausible.

SVT

posted by VALLEYGIRL:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
He says my hair shaft will get overloaded with moisture and cause it to swell and break over time. He also is against daily washing or rinsing...again too much moisture and it can cause mildew in the hair shaft. Once a week is what he suggested

[/ QUOTE ]

See...I can't get with his overmoisturized hair theory.

SVT

posted by Hairfanatic:
Please don't use conditioners that are moisturizing in the hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ms. Dlow gets the crazy look too.

VALLEYGIRL

Does Mr. John have a website?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now no, but he said that they are in the process of creaying one and he will email me when it is done.

I will definitley post it here for you all

Monicurl

Ms. Dlow gets the crazy look too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make that 2 crazy looks!
I just cannot believe they would suggest these techinques for ALL black hair. My hair's health would suffer if I went their route.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
No moisture, eh? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I hope by 'destroying black hair' they mean the pressed style will be destroyed. But I don't think so...
I got this from Dorothy Low's faq's. Lordy! My hair would crumble off of my head if I tried this!

What happens to my hair if I get caught in the rain or perspire heavily?

Nothing. If you get soaked in a downpour, simply apply a small amount of protein and finishing oil. Blow dry hair with a comb attachment, then touch it up with heat or roll it. The body always remains in the hair.

Do I need to use hair sprays or moisturizers?

Absolutely not. Hair sprays are drying and moisturizers work best on excessively oily hair, which is naturally straight hair. DO NOT USE PRODUCTS CONTAINING MOISTURIZERS. These agents dry out all natural oils, preventing hair from retaining its silky texture by causing hair reversion

LondonDiva

What happens to my hair if I get caught in the rain or perspire heavily?

Nothing. If you get soaked in a downpour, simply apply a small amount of protein and finishing oil. Blow dry hair with a comb attachment, then touch it up with heat or roll it. The body always remains in the hair.

Do I need to use hair sprays or moisturizers?

Absolutely not. Hair sprays are drying and moisturizers work best on excessively oily hair, which is naturally straight hair. DO NOT USE PRODUCTS CONTAINING MOISTURIZERS. These agents dry out all natural oils, preventing hair from retaining its silky texture by causing hair reversion

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh she can shut up for a start. I swear she's making that stuff up as she goes along. **shakes head** When I hear "advice" like this from these "professional" people it makes me all the more THANKFUL for this board and the ladies on it.

Valerie

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif
We can laugh at these things now, because they sound very silly. But a lot of women believe them and follow what they say. As Londondiva said, I am extremely gratefull for this board and the internet. Thank Goodness.

Ennyaa

Ahhhh she can shut up for a start.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

You're right though. It sounds like she's spittin a WHOLE lotta nonsense.

Mahalialee4

In the last quote that was posted by London Diva, that {"moisturizers prevent hair from retaining its "silky texture...."}... if the hair was "silky" in the first place, no one would be straightening it to get the kinks and curl out.....(it only got "silky from the straightening comb") and that is what the lengthy rhetoric of the Method is aimed at.... (Preserving the straight look achieved by the straightening comb for as long as you can! so that their method can be perpetuated)...pure and simple! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Now if someone likes the pressed look, I do not have a problem with that. But please, no "scientific sounding sales pitches that do not meet the test of close scrutiny. The "METHOD" is THE STRAIGHTENING COMB... and the skill in wielding it. Water messes up the method. But our great grandmothers knew that; some of them could wield a mean straightening comb! That's why some people did not wash their hair for one or two months and just kept piling on the grease and frying their hair at the first sign of a wrinkle caused by a few drops of rain...and little kids were not allowed to play and sweat, play in the rain, go swimming...enjoy the feel of water cascading through the hair in the shower...(sigh!). To me, this is going backward to try and convince the universal community of black women that if you do not use this Method, your hair is going to self destruct because WATER is the enemy. Stylists who relax and say, "if you do not come back here in exactly six weeks, all your hair is going to break and fall out!" fall in the same category. Naturalists who insist that if you do not cut off all your relaxed hair to the scalp, in order to go "natural", OR IT DOESN'T COUNT or you are cheating or "hanging on to that relaxed hair and are not a true black woman"...etc. Further I even question the statement of "going natural." Underneath the relaxed hair, your hair is still "black african american hair" The chemical has only processed and straightened it out, a permanent straightener. You do not have "white people's hair underneath that relaxer...it grows in natural and gets straightened out, temporarily or permanently...so why does it have to become such an issue? no wonder people get confused and offended. They are scared to trust their own brain and common sense and make personal choices, and hand their minds over to others, who may get very offended if you do not agree with their pet theory. But "knowledge is Power, ladies!!!... Stepping down from the soap box..right on Charlie Brown!..(wink wink) oops, "watch that last step Mahalialee"...(smiling vacantly and waving to the crowd)...X!O??//!!****!!who spilt olive oil on that last step!XXX!!!!!ooooooOOOOOXXXX!!!!(smile).Bonjour.

hairfanatic

To me, this is going backward to try and convince the universal community of black women that if you do not use this Method, your hair is going to self destruct because WATER is the enemy. Stylists who relax and say, "if you do not come back here in exactly six weeks, all your hair is going to break and fall out!" fall in the same category. Naturalists who insist that if you do not cut off all your relaxed hair to the scalp, in order to go "natural", OR IT DOESN'T COUNT or you are cheating or "hanging on to that relaxed hair and are not a true black woman"...etc. Further I even question the statement of "going natural." Underneath the relaxed hair, your hair is still "black african american hair" The chemical has only processed and straightened it out, a permanent straightener. You do not have "white people's hair underneath that relaxer...it grows in natural and gets straightened out, temporarily or permanently...so why does it have to become such an issue? no wonder people get confused and offended. They are scared to trust their own brain and common sense and make personal choices, and hand their minds over to others, who may get very offended if you do not agree with their pet theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mahalialee...Say it girl!

I'm going to have to put that in my wallet and pull it out whenever I become confused andeverytime I go to the beauty supply store because... that's some true philosiphying that all of us could take note on. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

VALLEYGIRL

that is what the lengthy rhetoric of the Method is aimed at.... (Preserving the straight look achieved by the straightening comb for as long as you can!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true Mahalia
I finally read the book yesterday and what he is basically suggesting is 'training' (restructuring with heat ) the hair to be permantly straight with the pressing comb. He teaches how to do a hard press by running the comb through each section of hair 4 times.
When you give a hard press the hair will need less heat to straighten with blow drying and the next pressing b/c it is being trained. It also will not frizz in humidity.
Funny b/c on my hair I always viewed this type of press as heat damage. Won't this cause damage and breakage of the hair shaft in the long run?
This is why he is against moisture b/c it will cause the pressed hair to revert and kink up.
Now I am not saying this is a bad thing and that it doesn't work...but it is just not for me. It seems like a great alternative for ladies who like to wear their hair straight but who have had problems with relaxers.

Quite honestly SKILL is an important factor when using all of his techniques. The average person (and even some stylists) who are not well trained to use a hot comb will end up seriously damaging their hair (IMO)
The book is definitley an interesting read, well written and makes sense (most of it) but I strongly disagree with when he says in so many words 'this is the only way to get your hair to grow'

On page 12 he says:
"REMEMBER: Excessive length (to the shoulder and longer) is impossible to achive while hair is chemically processed"

he also explains why hair can not grow in braids, wigs, jheri curls and naturally.....Pressing is the ONLy way to grow your hair long according to him

The constant mention of 'waterlog' and 'hair rot' was pissing me off He says that the constant wetness/moisture of hair when using other methods affect the hair so it does not have any 'inner structural strength' causing hair to tangle and tie itself into knots making it tight and then breaking easily when wet???????

Anyway, now I understand what all his talk in the consultation was about regarding avoiding moisture...sorry Mr John I am not afraid of water and having my hair revert....moisture is my friend!!!!

Ennyaa

REMEMBER: Excessive length (to the shoulder and longer) is impossible to achive while hair is chemically processed

[/ QUOTE ]

and

Pressing is the ONLy way to grow your hair long according to him

[/ QUOTE ]

You know this makes me slightly angry. Because so many women will read this book and buy into it because they feel they don't have any other options and he's supposed to be an "expert". Then if it doesn't work for them or their hair starts breaking off they'll just think they have "bad hair". To me his statements are just a perpetuation of the stupid stereotype that black women can't grow long hair. He REALLY should know better than that.

How can someone who is supposed to know so much be so close-minded and somehow exposed to so little. I mean come on, even before coming to this board, most of us knew women with long hair some natural, some relaxed. There is NO WAY he's gonna convince me he's never seen a relaxed woman with long hair. /images/graemlins/mad.gif That's a crock of SH*T!

Forgive me y'all but it's starting to piss me off. I remember hearing about this guy for the first time on here and thinking. "Hey he must really know what he's talking about if he grows hair long." Then this... Blah.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I was going to use his straightening methods with a flat iron and marcel wax instead of several different pressing combs and grease. I don't want to train my hair to be permanently straight--I just want it to be straight sometimes.

Did he say why he doesn't like flat irons? He doesn't mention them in the book...

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
On page 12 he says:
"REMEMBER: Excessive length (to the shoulder and longer) is impossible to achive while hair is chemically processed"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... I forgot about that. It went in one ear and out the other. That's like the natural hair book I have that said the term 'healthy relaxed hair" is an oxymoron. /images/graemlins/confused.gif
Foolishness! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

VALLEYGIRL

Did he say why he doesn't like flat irons? He doesn't mention them in the book

[/ QUOTE ]

Either on the phone or in the book can't remember b/c it's all one big blur now he told me that they tear the hair out?????
I have never had a problem w/ any of my flat irons tearing my hair out.

VALLEYGIRL

There is NO WAY he's gonna convince me he's never seen a relaxed woman with long hair

[/ QUOTE ]

page 12:
And in his defense (don't know why) he says the proper way to apply a relaxer is using 6 -8 people so that it is applied evenly throughout the head so no areas are over processed or underprocessed. But he says you can not avoid overprocessing cerain areas when rinsing the relaxer from your hair b/c the relaxer is coming in contact w/ portions of hair that were processed before as the water runs through the entire head of hair, "those recieving repeated touchups will find that the ends of their hair continually break away b/c of overprocessing. Therefore , no growth is achieved.

Even though the hair might appear to be the same length, in most cases , hair becomes shorter

there are of course exceptions to this rule...for every success story there are 100 unsuccessful stories"

he says when combing natural hair you should use a grooming aid or pre softener in the form of an oil based lotion to avoid pulling and ripping the knots that happen in natural hair causing breakage..."the person who wears natural hair will rarely attain long hair. Usually just the opposite occurs"?????

Ennyaa

Ok hold up.... 6-8 people on the SAME HEAD?!!

I'm sorry but that sounds retarded.

Am I reading that right?

VALLEYGIRL

Because so many women will read this book and buy into it because they feel they don't have any other options and he's supposed to be an "expert".

[/ QUOTE ]

True there are many options out there but some women really don't have other options. Relaxers don't work for them and they don't like the way their natural hair looks on them...so for THESE women this method will more than likely work for achieveing length while creating a straight look...IF DONE CORRECTLY.

For me it will not work b/c I like my hair natural. Can I grow my hair long naturally...ABSOLUTELY!! I take care when combing out the kinks and tangles and moisturize like crazy in order to minimize breakage. So my hair will probably frizz when I wear it straight and it probably won't have a very silky look...but THATS OK I can live with that.

What I don't like about the book is b/c it is so well written with good explanations it can scare some people into thinking that this is the ONLY way...kinda cult like.
That is where I disagree..as we all know you can grow long hair with several different methods.

People come to him with hair and scalp problems and this is the solution he offers. He doesn't (or hasn't as yet) go around preaching that this is the only way...he lets people come to him...
Do you think that this may be a possible reason that his book is only available at the clinic and not in bookstores or amazon.com...? His information is based on 26 yrs of research, testing and treating black hair but is obviously hasn't been proven as the ONLY way.

VALLEYGIRL

I'm sorry but that sounds retarded.
Am I reading that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

ooops my bad...I meant he said 4-6 operators.
You divide the hair in 4 sections to apply the relaxer and one operator holds two sections up and outward and the other 4 operators apply the relaxer to each assigned section with a brush at the same rate of speed.

He even supplies a diagram of this technique.

It does sound silly ...and what salon will actually do that?

I think he knows that and that is what I mean by he almost scares you into thinking you can never get a good relaxer so you have to do his techniques.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

You should see the diagram! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I think that was just his way of saying, "Don't even try to relax at home." He is anti- everything except natural hair worn pressed and curled. Since I don't press (yet), I haven't tried most of his techniques. The only one I've tried is wearing a towel wrapped around my head durings baths and showers instead of a shower cap too keep moisture out of the hair. It worked.

Has anyone ever tried any of his hair products?

Ennyaa

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Okay? That sounds TOO funny. I think I'd acutally like to see that diagram just so I can really get my chuckle on.
Just ridiculous. I think people will do/say almost anything to prove their way is the BEST way sometimes. There's just no way I can be convinced that a sizzling hot comb on dry hair = healthy hair. But of course... to each her own.

VALLEYGIRL

LOLYou should see the diagram

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...you make me wish I had a scanner!!!!
But I am sure I would be violating some sort of copyright law.

I think that was just his way of saying, "Don't even try to relax at home

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!!!

He is anti- everything except natural hair worn pressed and curled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he most definitely is...he said on the phone that they have tried everything from wet wraps to roller sets and that this is the method that they have had the most success with over the years.

Tara

This man is full of contridictions. First he says

REMEMBER: Excessive length (to the shoulder and longer) is impossible to achive while hair is chemically processed

[/ QUOTE ]

and at the SAME time he says

the person who wears natural hair will rarely attain long hair. Usually just the opposite occurs"

[/ QUOTE ]

So IMO he basically eliminated um....everyone. So then according to him who CAN grow long hair? OOOOOH, I KNOW, only people who follow HIS method, of course! /images/graemlins/grin.gif