My hair is turning brassy/brown?

Crystal22

Has anyone noticed their hair doing this? I don't think its caused from my relaxer, I'm not using any color/rinses/henna etc...The only thing I'm really doing differently is co-washing with VO5 and using S-curl. I don't use heat but once a week under my hooded dryer-no direct heat usage.

My hair usually looks darker after a relaxer and when I get it flat-ironed. I have always had dark black hair. I don't want it to lighten up!!!

chocolatethai

i had the exact same problem i love dark hair and then i started to realize that my hair colour was fading to this dusty colour that i was not feeling -i just thought that it was my relaxer so i got a black rinse, if you cant find the culprit i would recomend a rinse

cutenaynay

that happen to me too. I think it was because of the heat though or maybe product build up due to me experimenting with a whole bunch of stuff but I co wash with v05 and I use v05 heat protectant I ran out of the heat protectant though and I am now using motions. MY hair is originally black and when it start turning brown I was like nah nah nah! nah!:nono::nono: didnt like it at all I rinse it back black.

Last edited:

gymfreak336

Has anyone noticed their hair doing this? I don't think its caused from my relaxer, I'm not using any color/rinses/henna etc...The only thing I'm really doing differently is co-washing with VO5 and using S-curl. I don't use heat but once a week under my hooded dryer-no direct heat usage.

My hair usually looks darker after a relaxer and when I get it flat-ironed. I have always had dark black hair. I don't want it to lighten up!!!

It could be the sun. Also, relaxers inheritantly lighten hair a little since when the chemical is attacking the protein bonds in your hair, it attacks the melatin in the hair shaft as well since it is all tied up together.

Forever in Bloom

Well, my brother had this issue. I mean his hair turned BROWN. I figured out what it was. He had been using that ORS Scalp Scrub. You mix baking soda with the solution and scrub it on your scalp. I did the applications for him like 4 times and got some on the ends of his hair.

How do I know this? Well I used to use this natural deodorant from Lush that turned the, er, stubble under my arm BROWN. I figured the culprit had to be the baking soda :blush: because that was the main ingredient.

If you use too much baking soda, it can lighten the hair. Are you using it to cleanse your scalp?

StarFish106

I am having the same issue but I haven't had a relaxer since Feb. I am wearing braidouts and co-washing 1-2x a week. My hair will normally do this in the summer but it isn't hot yet! I think it's from my Pibbs from when I dry my hair under the dryer. For the life of me I cannot airdry when I braid my hair. I would have to do it in the morning and hope my hair is dry the next am.

I don't mind it getting browner, and this way I don't have to color it. Last year I got some color done in July and I still have some of it left in the top of my head.

Whatever my hair gets a hold of (heat, color, water) it will hold on to like a spoiled child and not let go.

I do protect and try to baby my hair so I am hoping this will not cause any damage to my locks....

Jadore_tay

this happens during the summer months a year ago. I believe it is the sun that is did this because my hair is naturally black but i rinse my hair now

sunshinelady

Direct heat can cause it and it only takes one bad time. Relaxers cause it. Basically anything that causes you to lose the cuticle of your hair can cause it.

Crystal22

Thanks for the replies ladies. I don't think its the sun cause it hasn't even really gotten hot yet, I haven't spent any significant amount of time outside (though I would like to if I could ever get out of class:perplexed) and my car windows are tinted to the legal limit. I haven't used baking soda lately, and was thinking I need to this weekend to clarify lol. Maybe I won't in that case. It could be product builup cause I've been cowashing a lot and need to shampoo. I have never noticed my relaxer chaning the color of my hair. I use No-lye Affirm sensitive scalp.
Oh yeah, I've been using MN in my scalp. I try not to get it in my hair but sometimes its inevitable. I think it may be product buildup. If this continues I may have to shampoo more than I do now and slow down on the co-washing.:ohwell:

Solitude

i had the exact same problem i love dark hair and then i started to realize that my hair colour was fading to this dusty colour that i was not feeling -i just thought that it was my relaxer so i got a black rinse, if you cant find the culprit i would recomend a rinse

My hair does the same thing; I suggest a black rinse as well.

locabouthair

Yep it coule be the sun, the relaxer or both. the relaxer lightens my hair but I noticed in the beginning of the summer, where there was a bad heat wave, my hair got very brown.

Besides wearing a hat is there a way we can prevent this?